Author Topic: Dr. Roberto Coronel Author Fruit guru  (Read 2125 times)

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Dr. Roberto Coronel Author Fruit guru
« on: March 24, 2016, 09:41:07 AM »
Sad to hear about the sudden passing of Roberto Coronel author of fruit of the Philippines
RIP my friend a tragic loss for his family and the fruit world.

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Roberto Coronel Author Fruit guru
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 10:02:25 AM »
    Sad to hear the news about his passing. He was such a knowledgable man regarding tropical fruits. I had the privilege of attending a talk / slideshow presentation that he was giving to our local CRFG chapter. Rest in peace friend.

William

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 03:17:36 PM »
That's sad news.

He gave a presentation to my CRFG chapter about 5 years ago too. He regularly visited with family in San Diego.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 11:58:59 PM »
This is extremely upsetting news. May I ask how you came about this information? Member "Dimples" and I have been conversing about him and his work for weeks now. This really saddens me as I was going to visit his nursery in November, but didn't, with the intention of meeting him "next time", now this won't be. Sad ...

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 12:07:09 AM »
Still.in Bicol Phil and have been trying to reach his assistant's mobile to confirm this as I cannot get my head around this news. Have just exchanged an email 2 weeks ago as I needed.some advice and help with some fussy DENR regulation problem.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 02:32:54 AM »
His youngest son posted the sad news on facebook. I visited Dr. Coronel in Los Banos at the university in Phillippines many years ago. He was very nice, toured me around the plantings at the university, and even took lots of time to tour me around town. He was very knowledgeable of all tropical fruits, but his specialty was pili nuts, which he managed to get marketed in Phillippines on a small scale.
Oscar

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 04:00:15 AM »
Yes just got confirmation - very sad. He managed to save a lot of native species Oscar, and was a valued member/contributor to Rare Fruit Phils, AANI Network and Phil Fruit Association, Phil Horticulture Society, Bonsai, Orchid, and practically every local plant related society plus he was a very nice person overall. No question was to simple or complicated, he welcomed newbie farmers and conservationists as enthusiastically as the older, more experienced ones. Other local Pinoy plant gurus are all getting old as well and I hope their children will at least appreciate all the hard work their parents put in and not sell or neglect the collections they have accumulated over a lifetime of work.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:03:43 AM by DimplesLee »
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 10:22:52 AM »
****! What a punch in the gut. I feared this would happen, as I knew he was getting older. I'm just really saddened by this. Please guys, if you get a chance to meet someone like this, or anyone you may look up to, don't hesitate, there really may never be another opportunity.

I sure hope his collection isn't neglected. Please tell me some other plant doctors or children will ensure his life's work doesn't just dry up and fall into disrepair. That would be a terrible shame.  :'(