Author Topic: Help With Guava Variety  (Read 6407 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Help With Guava Variety
« on: May 22, 2017, 11:47:45 AM »
So I have a few Ruby Supreme Guava trees and my neighbor commercially grows Asian Guava, so I'm pretty much covered there. However, I really enjoy the small, yellow-skinned pink fleshed guavas that are no bigger than a golf ball.  I believe a lot of them come from Mexico.  Anybody know what variety that is? Can they be grown adequately in deep south florida area?  Thank You.

-Jon
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:18:36 PM by Johnny Redland »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Guava Variety
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:58:27 PM »
I've seen the Mexican guavas in all the stores, about 10 years ago they began imports with irradiation, so not sure if that seed would germinate.
I'm sure all tropical guavas would grow in South Florida. Maybe your neighbor who grows commercially would know?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:31:26 PM »
I went to the NEW wal mart in LaBelle, Fl  last year and saw a one gallon Mexican cream guava for under 8 bucks.
It is now 5 feet in a seven gallon should be going in the ground soon, It is not flowering yet so I am
still wondering if it is a true Mexican cream guava. 

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 11:23:20 PM »
I went to the NEW wal mart in LaBelle, Fl  last year and saw a one gallon Mexican cream guava for under 8 bucks.
It is now 5 feet in a seven gallon should be going in the ground soon, It is not flowering yet so I am
My Mexican Cream guava blooms later than my others, so it may take some time before it blooms.  It is definitely a fast grower, I have to prune it often. My other guavas are in peak bloom now.  Mexican Cream is a green skinned, white fleshed guava, so I am not sure which guava variety Jon is looking for, but Mexican Cream is not what he described.  Good find though Achetadomestica.....I like the taste of Mexican Cream.
Bob

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 09:12:20 AM »

i bought 2 guava from Lowes a couple of years ago.
 they were $2 each for 3gal plants, rootbound.

one is a red, the other was a large asian white.
The White was the best tasting guava ive ever had.
large, creamy, soft custardy sweet.

i have another from South Texas. the sellers were from Mexico
im not sure if the tree was raised from seed, cuttings or what...
but, its close to Mexican cream (maybe a seedling?) but not exactly.
very soft flesh, yellowish... much better than the small cream-types i get from the latino market.
the skin is greener also, it doesnt get yellow when ripe.

i have a red that i grew from seed of unknown origin.
the plant is in a 7gal pot, and it fruits heavily every year.
its only about 3ft tall over the container edge.
mid size fruit, just a bit larger than Mex cream, but smaller than the large guavas.
its a bit seedy, and an average tasting red, but nice that it fruits and grows so low.
i can save seed if you (or anyone) wants some.

Toptrops has one (small red) . you might want to call and ask the color of the flesh

https://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/psidium_nana.htm

here are a couple of mine
 i have a couple more large ones, and about 2 dozen - seedlings to 3 gal .

From Texas (Mex cream seedling?)

top-left // red small  container
top-right // Texas - Mex cream seedling ?
bottom // large Asian white

red small  container

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:16:49 AM by greenman62 »

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »
The guava I'm talking about looks like the one marked "priceless" in the attached image.  It is extremely thin skinned, greenish/yellow when ripe, pink inside, and no bigger than a golf ball.  I tried looking at Excalibur fruit trees since they sell many types of guava but I don't see any called 'priceless'. 

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 10:45:26 PM »
So I have a few Ruby Supreme Guava trees and my neighbor commercially grows Asian Guava, so I'm pretty much covered there. However, I really enjoy the small, yellow-skinned pink fleshed guavas that are no bigger than a golf ball.  I believe a lot of them come from Mexico.  Anybody know what variety that is? Can they be grown adequately in deep south florida area?  Thank You.

-Jon

Jon,

Since you are in the Redlands, you might track down Jorge J. Zaldivar  with PG Tropicals, he's all about guava and has a guava farm in the Redlands.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

purluesky

• USA, CA, Stanton, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »
It look like a tropical pink guava

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 12:16:42 PM »
My guava's always make flowers if i cut tip from branch.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 02:32:59 AM »
Does anyone know which pink flesh guava this belong to?  J found them all over vietnam.  It ha a little aromatic flavor.

biolumo

• Loveland, Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 07:34:44 AM »
The guava I'm talking about looks like the one marked "priceless" in the attached image.  It is extremely thin skinned, greenish/yellow when ripe, pink inside, and no bigger than a golf ball.  I tried looking at Excalibur fruit trees since they sell many types of guava but I don't see any called 'priceless'. 

This is the guava i'm looking for too. Just like the small yellow ones sold at walmart,  but light pink flesh instead of white. I found a tree in southern california once. It was delicious! Put the white ones to shame!

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 01:31:43 PM »
I may have located it. I've planted out a specimen from Hawaii that looks just like it. It was called "Tropical".  I will report back in a year or so once it fruits to confirm. 

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 11:01:27 PM »
EVERY "Mexican cream" guava I bought from Lowes or HD (well over a dozen) were a horrid flavored guava with a bumpy skin fruit that bore no similarity to every description of  "Mexican cream" I read, don't waste your money there, find a reputable nursery instead.
Regards,

Gary

biolumo

• Loveland, Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 08:03:41 AM »
I may have located it. I've planted out a specimen from Hawaii that looks just like it. It was called "Tropical".  I will report back in a year or so once it fruits to confirm.

Okay. I'm very interested in this.  I had read of a variety called tropical too, so you might be on the right track.

We might take a trip to southern california soon. If we do, I might try to relocate that tree and collect seeds and a cutting if I can find it again.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 09:13:30 AM »
For all of those curious, I purchased mine from Hawaii and had it shipped.  The seller usually has ebay listings.  The photo is all you need to see to know its the right one; round, pink flesh, many TINY seeds.

biolumo

• Loveland, Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 01:06:18 PM »

I'm currently in Kauai, Hawaii on a late honeymoon. It sounds as if there are basically only two types of guavas here. Little yellow ones with pink flesh and invasive red ones from Brazil. I got some seeds!