Author Topic: 2020 Mango Season (Florida)  (Read 42021 times)

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Mango Season (Florida)
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2020, 12:27:15 PM »
I hope this cold front causes my Sweet Tart to bloom.  This will be the 3rd year in ground, bought as a 7 gallon.  My Pickering (7 gallon) and Venus (3 gallon) all went in ground the same time and both of those have been super productive.  If Sweet Tart doesn't come through this year, it's getting top worked for sure.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2020, 03:16:44 PM »
Driving around today in psl i see mango blooms where i didn't know there were trees.
Mine's always Feb bloomer, no idea what it is.  Deep orange slight fiber but highly sweet & worth every fiber!  :)
You guys battling anthracnose?  I got my share almost under control, will give chamomile tea a shot.  Anyone have success with it on panicles or flowers?

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2020, 06:31:07 PM »
3 to 4 days with nighttime temperatures in the 50s.  Great for my mature plants, shitty for my late grafts, not too cold for my early blooms.
Overall, luck out so far.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2020, 09:37:29 PM »

Here's where i'm at.  Inside of tree, nothing really on outside yet.  Anthracnose is important to look for during all seasons all year i'm learning.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2020, 07:57:49 AM »
Green Orchid Bees have been swarming our Mango blooms this year.  Nice change from the love bugs and honey bees and house flies.  I can’t recall seeing them pollinating here last year.

Thankfully no sign of fungal issues even on Lemon Zest.  I believe all the extra rain helped our system.

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/MISC/BEES/green_orchid_bee.htm
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:22:31 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2020, 10:51:09 AM »
Looks like no cold fronts reaching South FL until late January
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:33:58 AM by dwfl »

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2020, 03:18:53 PM »
My two trees, a Cogshall and a Pickering, both started sending up pannicles a month or so earlier than usual.  The Cogshall shows half a tree in bloom and the other half mostly dormant.  The Pickering has about 25 to 30 percent blooms scattered throughout the tree.  Both trees appear to be done pushing pannicles.  What might be the cause of such sporadic production?

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2020, 09:37:47 PM »
The rain and that cold spell we had a while ago made a quarter of my Glenn mango tree bloom. I hope it doesn’t get too cold anymore because I miss eating mangos.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2020, 09:43:43 PM »
My two trees, a Cogshall and a Pickering, both started sending up pannicles a month or so earlier than usual.  The Cogshall shows half a tree in bloom and the other half mostly dormant.  The Pickering has about 25 to 30 percent blooms scattered throughout the tree.  Both trees appear to be done pushing pannicles.  What might be the cause of such sporadic production?

A week or so of Cold weather at the beginning of December. Full blooms on all trees (in Florida) require about 2 consecutive weeks of nighttime temps below 60F. With less of that, there is progressively less complete bloom.

E.g. ,arbitrary numbers:
 10 days of 50s might result in 90% bloom
7 days 60%
5 days less

And so forth.

Some trees had full blooms off the early December chill (mostly older large trees and  “bloom sensitive” cultivars, with exceptions of course).

Since then we’ve largely been above historical average on nighttime lows in our typical pattern over the last 10 years or so. So the mangos are staying dormant until another major cold front rolls through that lasts the better part of a week instead of just a couple nights.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 10:06:19 PM by Squam256 »

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2020, 02:10:31 PM »

A week or so of Cold weather at the beginning of December. Full blooms on all trees (in Florida) require about 2 consecutive weeks of nighttime temps below 60F. With less of that, there is progressively less complete bloom.

E.g. ,arbitrary numbers:
 10 days of 50s might result in 90% bloom
7 days 60%
5 days less

And so forth.

Some trees had full blooms off the early December chill (mostly older large trees and  “bloom sensitive” cultivars, with exceptions of course).

Since then we’ve largely been above historical average on nighttime lows in our typical pattern over the last 10 years or so. So the mangos are staying dormant until another major cold front rolls through that lasts the better part of a week instead of just a couple nights.
Appreciate the info.  Thank you.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2020, 03:55:20 PM »
Seeing as we haven't even hit the cold month yet, I am not getting my hopes up for my mangos, all of which are showing some sort of growth, mostly if not all leaf flush. My sweet tart and Lemon zest both already popped a full flush of leaves and my others aren't far behind. I don't expect flowers until spring like normal.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2020, 04:34:45 AM »
orange essence, honey kiss, and sugar loaf are all putting out a lot of branches

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2020, 05:43:08 AM »
Orange Sherbet, Honey kiss, Neelam flushing new leaves this week.
Mallika, Carrie, NDM, Guava, Julie, Juliette flowered 2 wks ago.
Satya

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2020, 08:27:35 AM »
Fruit set on glenn, coco cream, ndm4, kesar, orange sherbet, sweet tart, and kasturi.

second round of blooms shooting out on kesar.

its still early

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2020, 11:36:41 AM »
The vegetative growth is definitely starting to show up in south Florida on both mango and lychee. Really bad news because a lot of this stuff will not be able to flower even if/when another significant cold front finally shows up.

I’m going to be speaking on mangos to the Palm Beach RFC in the spring and May make the warm winters a central part of the topic. When you actually see the raw numbers compared to history it really put things into perspective.

Here in West Palm it looks like we’ll be getting 3 nights in the 50s Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before the mid-60s nonsense returns. While that’s not adequate for Major bloom stimulus, it will at least aid in keeping some trees dormant into February and give them a chance for a March bloom.

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2020, 11:40:11 AM »
Fruit set on glenn, coco cream, ndm4, kesar, orange sherbet, sweet tart, and kasturi.

second round of blooms shooting out on kesar.

its still early

Very nice. I have 8 mango trees but most are small. My older ones Lemon Zest and Nam doc mai. Nam doc mai is flowering but lemon zest hasn’t only like one small bloom spike in entire tree bummer. The others sweet tart, orange sherbet, Providence, coconut cream, peach cobbler. No signs.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2020, 11:48:36 AM »
In PSL i see mango trees everywhere i never knew about.  Blooms i never seen, some trees never pruned nearly the width of a house.
My tree has less then a dozen panicles, didn't prune & thin it till November.  Too hot.  So a late bloom is a good thing?  Mine usually waits till next month.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2020, 11:54:23 AM »
Hey Alex,

Which cultivars are "bloom sensitive"?  It'd be nice to know this information considering the global warming trends.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2020, 11:26:06 PM »
Hey Alex,

Which cultivars are "bloom sensitive"?  It'd be nice to know this information considering the global warming trends.

I probably need to make a list. Just off the top of my head Edward and Rosa are a couple examples on the extreme end of trees that will throw bloom off marginal stimulus. Then there are varieties like Florigon or Graham that can flower fairly completely off of a week of cool nights, as opposed to the nearly two weeks required by some to achieve that.

Also keep in mind that some of it could be issues with precocity (or lack there of). I was doing some consulting work for another grower a couple weeks ago, and his large Sweet Tart trees were mostly flowering pretty well. But his trees are both larger and located in a cooler location west-ward. A few degrees can make an enormous difference.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2020, 05:25:37 PM »
Palm Bay (East Central), My Kent is in full bloom with very small fruit appearing.
My Carrie, Julie, Hayden and Glenn (younger trees) are blooming but not full bloom yet.
As I drive around town I see the very large trees FULL of blooms! I hope its better than last year,
everybody I talk to in the area had a terrible yield last year in this area. My trees bloomed great but
nothing held, not sure why.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2020, 05:40:07 AM »
Driving around I see typical backyard mango trees that are in good to excellent bloom. Some are quite old and established.
I think many to most are seedling trees.  Do seedling trees have a better survival instinct, so they bloom more easily? We breed mangoes for certain qualities that might reduce their desire to "put forth fruit and multiply"?
Of course many bloomless trees seen too.

Looking to get cold starting Monday. The colder the better.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:42:45 AM by zands »

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2020, 08:03:35 AM »
So far this appears to be a very good year for fruit set here on our very young grove.  Even with ideal conditions for fungal issues we have zero sign of Anthracnose or Powdery mildew anywhere.  Our Lemon Zest and all our Julie progeny trees all have great healthy looking fruit set this year.  Of course this could all change in a day.  At least it will look pretty. Lol

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:35:23 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2020, 11:33:19 AM »
So, based on the timing and quality of the flowering what are your best estimates on just when the peak of the mango season will fall??
Thanks
Peter

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2020, 08:07:12 PM »
Hey Alex,

I probably need to make a list. Just off the top of my head Edward and Rosa are a couple examples on the extreme end of trees that will throw bloom off marginal stimulus. Then there are varieties like Florigon or Graham that can flower fairly completely off of a week of cool nights, as opposed to the nearly two weeks required by some to achieve that.

Also keep in mind that some of it could be issues with precocity (or lack there of). I was doing some consulting work for another grower a couple weeks ago, and his large Sweet Tart trees were mostly flowering pretty well. But his trees are both larger and located in a cooler location west-ward. A few degrees can make an enormous difference.

Thanks Alex!  Would you know if any of the following bloom easily:

Fruit punch, jakarta, ice cream, dwarf hawaiian, angie, cotton candy, phoenix, pineapple pleasure, sugar loaf, kesar

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2020, 08:36:41 PM »
Hey Alex,

Thanks Alex!  Would you know if any of the following bloom easily:

Fruit punch, jakarta, ice cream, dwarf hawaiian, angie, cotton candy, phoenix, pineapple pleasure, sugar loaf, kesar

Dwarf Hawaiian easily. Can flower off a couple nights of chill and will do it more than once too. Sugar Loaf flowers somewhat easily but similar to Gary and Carrie the flowers can open excessively male and then not set much (or any), at least the younger ones. We’ve had a couple do that.

Julie is another variety that flowers *very* easily.