Author Topic: Is Avocado Mexicola really cold-hardy as said? Did you try it?  (Read 5684 times)

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
Is Avocado Mexicola really cold-hardy as said? Did you try it?
« on: December 25, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »
Hi to everyone,

I know most of you  live in subtropical climate, where all Avocado trees can live...

So, this question is addressed to those who live in relative cold climate, where light frost is common during Winter..

I read Avocado Mexicola is the most cold-hardy and can Withstand 15° F...anyway I don't trust and I think that this is only a way to sell more.

Did somone try mexicola in cold climate ? What's the lowest temp recorded ? Could you make comparison with other trees (not only tropical)...for instance, Mexicola vs Lemon after cold spell, or Mexicola vs Tangarine etc...

Thanks for sharing...:)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 05:55:40 PM by Delvi83 »

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Is Avocado Mexicola really cold-hardy as said? Did you try it?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 12:01:44 AM »
You have to consider the average temperature of your winter as well.  While Mexican avocados have excellent tolerance like all avocados they dont like being cold especially for long periods of time. Also the 15 F cold tolerance is talking about a  large tree where the tender regions of the plant will still take damage.

While I dont live in the coldest climate I do expect a few light frost events overnight every year and some years have had very cold nights that can get down to teens.  The varieties with mexican genes always took the least damage/recovered faster.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 04:12:46 AM »
Thanks...do you have Mexicola cultivar or other Mexican types ? 15° F for one hour is better than 25° F each night for 3 weeks....or no?
I guess you have very cold spell, but also period of high temperature even in Jan.

Anyway, is Mexicola more cold-hardy than other Mexican Cultivars ? Could you make comparison with other fruit trees? For example, after a very cold period have you observerd more damage in Mexicola or Lemon trees ? or Tangerine trees ? etc...

I tell you this, because here (in North Italy) there are microclimate where Lemons surive, others where LEmons suffer, but Tangerines don't have problem.....Olive can be grown without any problem etc..

If you do this kind of comparison (not only with temperature), I would better understant the limits for Avocado Mexicola....As I know here none has it, but because all people don't know it.

Thanks

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 05:51:34 AM »
Thanks...do you have Mexicola cultivar or other Mexican types ? 15° F for one hour is better than 25° F each night for 3 weeks....or no?
I guess you have very cold spell, but also period of high temperature even in Jan.

Anyway, is Mexicola more cold-hardy than other Mexican Cultivars ? Could you make comparison with other fruit trees? For example, after a very cold period have you observerd more damage in Mexicola or Lemon trees ? or Tangerine trees ? etc...

I tell you this, because here (in North Italy) there are microclimate where Lemons surive, others where LEmons suffer, but Tangerines don't have problem.....Olive can be grown without any problem etc..

If you do this kind of comparison (not only with temperature), I would better understant the limits for Avocado Mexicola....As I know here none has it, but because all people don't know it.

Thanks
Hello my friend! Last year we got the coldest winter here. My citrus suffer a lot, even orange trees and lemon trees. On my area all avocado trees died. We got -6,5C! Regarding my trees i lost my Reed and Hass, but the bacon variety survived very well. I hope this help you. Best regards, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  ;)

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 06:31:26 AM »
Hi :) !!! Yes....yours are very useful informations !!!

Hass & Reed are not cold-hardy.....

So, now the question is : Did you have more damage with Lemon Trees o Bacon Avocado ? Were they in a similar positions ? and last thing....Mexicola should be hardier than Bacon, so will it be as cold-hardy as Tangerine ? or as the less tender citrus ???

Thanks you and have nice holidays :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:09:24 PM by Delvi83 »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »
This cold hardy stuff is so iffy, based on soooooo many factors.  It's been reported that Mexicola might survive in single digits (F) by a grower who's seen one in another state but the tree was old, had a thick trunk with no wide temp drops from one day to the next.  Stewart aka Stuart is supposedly the best pure Mexican avocado.  One grower friend in California says it is better in quality than his Hass and very productive.

Only lemon that has some cold hardiness is Meyer.  Tangerine genes bring out that trait.  My favorite orange like citrus is Orlando tangelo, better than any orange I've had - few seeds, great for juicing or eating out of hand, very productive.  Here's one that took some snow and mid 20's F for days.  Tree and fruit were excellent. I've had grapefruit take low 20's with no damage, so, YMMV.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »
But do you also have Mexicola Avocado ? Was it damaged ?

I'd like to know if somone had Mexicola Avocado, Lemons, Sweet Orange and Tangerine if, after a cold spell, Mexicola had more (or less) damage of each of them...

As I know, for Citrus Lemons is tender than Sweet Orange, that is tender than Tangerine, that is Tender than Satsuma, that is tender than Olive etc.....

If someone, after cold spell, had all Lemons died, Sweet Orange with sever leaves damage, Tangerine & Mexicola with minor leaves damage, and Olive no damage, i'd have more information than "Mexicola survived a single digits (F) temperature"...

I would know that Mexicola is more resistant than Lemon, less than Olive and is more or less cold-hardy as Tangerine....

I know it's not a simple question...but I hope all of you could give us their informations :)

Thanks again

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 10:56:14 AM »
People in northern California grow Mexicola and it is more cold tolerant than other avocados.  Its going to die in single digit temps.  They are supposed to be good to low 20s F.  Theres tons of info out there on this if you google Mexicola.  Its not a scam to sell more trees, these trees are native to mountains in Mexico where it gets colder.

If you are going to plant 1 or 2 for the family, go ahead and plant them and cross your fingers.  Whats the worst that will happen?  If you are going to plant a 100 of them, don't.

Brad Spaugh

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 11:52:52 AM »
I won't get hung up on getting a Mexicola just because of the someone elses cold tolerance benchmark, I had it for many years and replaced it with a Mexicola Grande.  I feel that all the predominantly Mexican avocados have the same low temperature tolerance once large enough.

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 12:04:05 PM »
Unfortunatley I don't grow Mexicola avocado, there are other avocados in my region that I enjoy eating more like Fuerte and Reed, which are not as hardy as Mexicola.  As Spaugh said, a grower in Northern California will hopefully provide you some better comment. One issue that NissanVersa mentioned is you should know what the average ultimate lowest temperature is during winter and how often it occurs each winter.  You should also try to determine what the ultimate coldest temperature has been during winter of the last decade or so is.  If you frequently have temperatures of -7 Celsius or lower, your chances of keeping an avocado alive are very few.
Bob

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »
Also noteworthy is even if you can keep them alive, Avocado trees tend to look lanky and sickly in colder areas.  Farther north with cold temps is not go to make a nice producing healthy tree most likely.  Even if it doesn't die, it may just be barely hanging on.
Brad Spaugh

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 01:06:26 PM »
I know the  average temperature of your winter could be more important than a single low temperature....that humidy, max temp. and other factors play a crucial role.....this is why i think it's more important to compare different plants damage, rather than what was the min. temp. or so...

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 05:46:31 PM »
Hi :) !!! Yes....yours are very useful informations !!!

Hass & Reed are not cold-hardy.....

So, now the question is : Did you have more damage with Lemon Trees o Bacon Avocado ? Were them in a similar positions ? and last thing....Mexicola should be hardier than Bacon, so will it be as cold-hardy as Tangerine ? or as the less tender citrus ???

Thanks you and have nice holidays :)
Hello my friend! The lemon tree is more exposed than bacon. It got the points burned and some small branches but it was very resistent.  ;D

BohicaBob

• East Central Florida, USA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 06:20:03 PM »
I have two mature Mexicola Avocado trees, three mature Day Avocado trees plus other much more cold-hardy varieties like Brazos Belle, Joey, Lila, and Fantastic.  About 3 or 4 winters ago we had temps down around 22-24 degrees F for one morning.  Note that all of these trees had blooms on them at that time.  All the outside blooms on the Day and Mexicola trees were destroyed except for the blooms located inside and nearer the center of each of these threes.  Almost none of the other super-cold-hardy varieties' blooms were affected by the low temperatures.  Interesting, the Day and Mexicola trees produced another set of blooms a month or so after the damage. The Mexicola trees themselves (and Day too) were not damaged however.  Thought I'd share my experience with Mexicola.  I'd recommend the super-cold hardy varieties if you expect below 22-24 degree F and lower temperatures.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 06:02:22 AM »
Thanks for the info....
Here, in North Italy, I think bloom would not take place before April-May, when temperatures don't drop below 32°F......
The problem should be during winter...I was wondering, if in a place where Mandarins survive and bear fruits, could Mexicola live ??
You told us Mexicola should not be the most cold-hardy Avocado....but this is the only One sold in Europe :) !!!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 09:58:16 AM »
But do you also have Mexicola Avocado ? Was it damaged ?

I'd like to know if somone had Mexicola Avocado, Lemons, Sweet Orange and Tangerine if, after a cold spell, Mexicola had more (or less) damage of each of them...

As I know, for Citrus Lemons is tender than Sweet Orange, that is tender than Tangerine, that is Tender than Satsuma, that is tender than Olive etc.....

Not a good comparison, orange versus Mexicola.  Nothing is set in stone.  Plant and hope for the best.

Good luck!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 10:00:51 AM »
The problem should be during winter...I was wondering, if in a place where Mandarins survive and bear fruits, could Mexicola live ??

I'd say yes if both were the same age, same health, in the same micro climate.  Don't know much about N. Italy but unless you're on the coast I don't think it's a safe bet.  Don't you get some really hard freezes?

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 03:32:52 PM »
Along the sea coasts also less cold-hardy Avocado could live....but in the inland zones the climate is quite different, but whit several microclimate.

North Italy is about 44-46° N, but Alps are a barrier against North Winds.....so we have a very long winter, with very lower Max Temp compared to Texas....but there are places, for instance near to the big lakes (Lago Maggiore, Lago di Como etc.) where Mandarin can grow well and also Orange & Lemons withstand the winter....there are places that reach 15° F once every 30 years, but normally don't have less than 23° F....but rarely exceed 50° F in Jan....

In the link below you'll find Data (in Celsius) from the past five years...this is not the warmest microclimate, but I'm sure Mandarin could live, AVocado Hass could not, but Avocado Mexicola ??

http://www.lineameteo.it/stazioni.php?id=1191

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 12:31:55 PM »
I have two mature Mexicola Avocado trees, three mature Day Avocado trees plus other much more cold-hardy varieties like Brazos Belle, Joey, Lila, and Fantastic.  About 3 or 4 winters ago we had temps down around 22-24 degrees F for one morning.  Note that all of these trees had blooms on them at that time.  All the outside blooms on the Day and Mexicola trees were destroyed except for the blooms located inside and nearer the center of each of these threes.  Almost none of the other super-cold-hardy varieties' blooms were affected by the low temperatures.  Interesting, the Day and Mexicola trees produced another set of blooms a month or so after the damage. The Mexicola trees themselves (and Day too) were not damaged however.  Thought I'd share my experience with Mexicola.  I'd recommend the super-cold hardy varieties if you expect below 22-24 degree F and lower temperatures.

Which do you recommend most of all of the super cold hardy varieties?

BohicaBob

• East Central Florida, USA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »
By recommend, are you referring to their cold-hardiness or their taste and flavor?  All of the super-cold hardy ones do very well in my area.  Now I can only speak to Joey, Lila, Fantastic, and Brazos Belle personally regarding temperture tolerance.  Flavor?  I've enjoyed all but the very small Joey tree's crop because the squirrels stole all the fruit last year! These trees really produce when mature too.  In fact, the squirrels don't know which tree to raid sometimes because of the quantity.  Friends have given me Poncho avocado fruit which I found to be good-eating and the tree is another super-cold hardy variety for this area.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 01:24:24 PM »
Do lemons trees suffer during winter ? did they ever lose their leaves and "Super-cold hardy" Avovado not?

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 05:24:05 AM »
None of North California or another "not warm winter place" could give us his experiences ?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 10:49:29 AM »
Mexicola and Bacon are more cold hardy and suitable for rootstock. Plant some seeds as soon as possible, directly into the ground works good, mound your soil if it is slow draining.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 05:29:40 AM »
Now i don't have place to plant....i was just wondering if what i read is real or just misleading advertising....15° F is a very low temperature, but does not give all information (how long does it last ? which are the max temps. ? etc..)

Also trying on Google you find generic consideration...just a number, not an experiences...for this, to know if after a cold period Mandarin had damaged leaves, and Mexicola not, I would know that it could grow, since Mandarin can...

P.s.

Reading on Internet i found Bacon is hardy to 23°F, Mexicola also 15°F......this 8 degrees could be the differences between success and failure

Thanks to All

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 07:08:12 AM »
My Bacon is taking more cold damage than my Hass, but it's probably because the Hass arrived with much more healthy root system while Bacon was too big for the container in which arrived and the roots weren't in the best condition and it didn't grow much.
This just to say that the condition of the tree(soil, roots, fertilization) affect a lot the outcome and it's really hard to make a comparison.
I have two specimen of Passiflora Edulis x Colvilli planted in two different gardens, one was so healthy and happy that it tripled its trunk size in 6 months and has a huge canopy. The other was planted around 2 months later and didn't grow much and I doubt the difference is only due to the 2 months difference.