Author Topic: Baby boomers to blame for lost generation of gardeners  (Read 3578 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Baby boomers to blame for lost generation of gardeners
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 09:10:10 AM »
can't view the whole article unless you sign up  :-\

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:30:17 AM »
Lol, both of them were subscription only articles. Here's one that isn't: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/23/baby-boomers-have-caused-a-lost-generation-of-gardeners-expert-c/
Dom

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 03:33:19 PM »
i am one of the lost generations. since growing up in the city, there were no space for gardening.  I only started gardening in the last 6yrs because of the space I have in the front and backyard.   No one really taught me, I learn it all on  my own from the web. The web has so much information on how to...  The biology class on plants did help .  I even have argument and fights with my dad because he didn't know how to.. and refuse to listen to what others say on the web. He end up killing lots of plants.

Stan

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 04:10:16 PM »
I think the opposite. The baby boomers make up a preponderance of real gardening peeps. The demographics have aged with me I notice. Less younger types.
I got the granddaughter watering her Marigolds with her Ernie the Elephant watering can. A start!

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 07:24:58 PM »
My wife and I are in our thirties we have lots growing in the yard. We teach our three young children what we can and about what we grow.  I did not learn anything about gardening or growing food in school and was limited to what my mother knew, she worked part time. My father worked 60-70 plus hours and left limited time and energy for it. Later in life when he retired it showed he had a green thumb too. I can see where having 2 parents working full time jobs will limit what they can teach to small children. I've noticed the dependence on electronic devices, TV, video games more than when I was young and them having way more visual and audio stimulation being a major factor as well.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 12:04:52 AM »
Loss of gardening also has to do with mass migration to urban centers. Once in the city people have a lot less space and time for gardening. Can't blame it all on the baby boomers. In my opinion gardening should be taught in all elementary schools. You can't depend on parents any longer to teach such skills. I think churches can also play a role by having gardens tended  by members (including children) that help to feed the poor.
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 02:18:03 AM »
Have to agree,  people moving to urban areas,  and  also have to remember the home owner associations and city regulation, I do not know how many times, I have come across reports of the city or associations coming down on owners that have planted a garden in their front yards, or trees not being allowed to be planted anywhere.  most of these restrictions did not exist, 50 years ago,  and earlier than that it was encouraged to plant a garden during WWII. ( victory gardens )  how things have changed

http://youtu.be/Lnwle4dsEgc
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:33:06 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 06:33:52 AM »
defintely due to lack of no gardening space since the lost generation migrate towards the city.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »
I think food has gotten so cheap and plentiful that even if people have plenty of space for a garden, they don't bother. In my grandparents generation, gardening was somewhat of a necessity.

Stan

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 03:48:52 PM »
The local U dropped botany and went with what the local labs hire- lab workers. Its all Arabidopsis and recombinant work.
Gen x are not interested in growing for the soul...they are not teaching the newest generation.

Baby boomers are the vanguard. I have no idea what she was writing about. Must just be her block. :D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 07:24:22 PM »
I think food has gotten so cheap and plentiful that even if people have plenty of space for a garden, they don't bother. In my grandparents generation, gardening was somewhat of a necessity.

Yes that's true. Food is cheap due to it being government subsidized. We're not paying the real cost of food. The victory gardens of WWII came about due to scarcity and fear of scarcity. During economic recession of 2008 there was a big surge in gardening. Now it's dwindled down again.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »
The local U dropped botany and went with what the local labs hire- lab workers. Its all Arabidopsis and recombinant work.
Gen x are not interested in growing for the soul...they are not teaching the newest generation.

Baby boomers are the vanguard. I have no idea what she was writing about. Must just be her block. :D
I think you're right. The baby boomers were the ones that heralded the back to the land movement. There is some of that back to the landers in Gen X, but it's very small percentage. Mostly them are interested is in biotechnology.
Oscar

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 01:07:43 AM »

I think you're right. The baby boomers were the ones that heralded the back to the land movement. There is some of that back to the landers in Gen X, but it's very small percentage. Mostly them are interested is in biotechnology.

There was an interesting book on the back to the land movement called Back from the Land, which documented how the idealism of the movement ran into hard realities and many of them left after some time.  There's actually an interesting lineage (that I've read about -- I'm not old enough to have seen it firsthand) of a lot of the early generation of SF bay area technology folks that came out of the back to the land movement and the whole earth catalog culture -- they gave up on farming and went into technology.