Author Topic: hardy 7B plant wanted  (Read 1336 times)

bklyn citrus

• Usa, new york, brooklyn, 7B
    • View Profile
hardy 7B plant wanted
« on: May 24, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »
I've been growing a seed grown Thomasville Citrangequat from Woodlanders of unknown taste. I had it outside with passive double protection but its very small and it gets beat up (certainly not broomstick rule size). Are any hobbyists out there that have a bearing age good Thomasville (or alternate grafted to trifoliate) that could be grafted to trifoliate, they would be willing to make up. Located in NYC. Have a baby morton and keraji on rubidoux trifoliate but they are years away sizewise

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Re: hardy 7B plant wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »
Try Stan Mckenzie.  http://mckenzie-farms.com/
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:35:02 PM by Laaz »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 07:08:20 PM »
It's going to be very hard finding anything decent tasting that's hardy to zone 7b, even with passive light protection.
If it's not killed back the first winter, it will eventually get killed back when a cold winter comes along after a couple of years.
If you're on the border of zone 8a/7b, that may be a different story.

You may try citrumelo (Duncan is supposed to be better tasting than Swingle).
Citrumelos and citrandarins tend to be the hardiest hybrids I am aware of. A kumquat-trifoliate hybrid may be even a little bit hardier.

US 852 (citrandarin) may be the hardiest one with half-decent taste that could survive well in zone 7. (Keep in mind that doesn't mean great tasting, just edible, with only some slight off flavor)
Stan was shipping out boxes of the fruit last year when they were in season. Full of seeds.

Nat Bradford also told me he had luck with Taiwanica lemon (border of 8a/7b South Carolina). Not at all good tasting, but it doesn't have poncirus in it.

Further north it just gets more difficult because the citrus doesn't have time enough to grow to recover from damage, and the cold drops are typically longer in duration.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 07:17:37 PM by SoCal2warm »

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 07:50:46 AM »
wow, I did not notice that there exist zone 7b in Newyork. It was like more than 2000 miles away from Savannah, GA. Probably the beach help so much in stablizing the temperature.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk