Author Topic: whats in season in Sarawak?  (Read 4896 times)

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
whats in season in Sarawak?
« on: September 26, 2018, 03:24:55 PM »
Hi guys, been away from this board for a while.  I will be flying in to Kuching next week after some work, and will spend a couple weeks in Sarawak to see some forests and photograph things.  Been to sabah a few times and penninsular many times.  Absolutely love malaysia!  We will also fly to KK for a few days before heading home to taiwan.  This is my first time to sarawak though, and am.super excited about the plants and animals we can hopefully see!

I am wonderig what fruits might be seen at this time?  My last trip to sabah we got to eat 4 wild durian species which was amazing as never got to try them before.

Any pointers on where to sniff out great feuit?  The last few years have taken me down a spice passion.  Hoping to also look for cool pipers, gingers etc as well if anyone knows some must taste spices in the region :)

Be really neat to hear from a fruit or plant nut in the region.  Or if anyone is there would be fun to grab a bite, tea, fruit binge :)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: whats in season in Sarawak?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 07:09:50 PM »
A Guide To 8 Kuching Markets And Fruit in Sarawak Malaysia

https://www.yearofthedurian.com/2017/12/kuching-market-guide.html

Satok, MJC, Serian and 7 mile worked out for us in July.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 11:04:21 PM »
I think now is early season there. Planning to be there in December.  Hopefully you’ll find some Dabai

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 11:28:10 PM »
Enjoy the mangosteens and the langsat, the only really worthwhile fruits there, although that region does have an incredible biodiversity of all sorts of bizarre fruit species.

Also of course rambutan, pulasan, and lychee (although the region doesn't really specialize in lychee since it doesn't do the best in that ultra-tropical climate).

And of course durian and all the other related Artocarpus species, if you're into that sort of thing.

Sarawak does have pomelos but they're better in salads.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 11:27:55 AM »
Of course they have all those fruits and more, but do you know that those fruits will be in season?  I think that was the question.
Peter

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 12:11:21 PM »
Ya sorry, that was more the question.  Whats in season in october.  Locales are also very much appreciated, thanks!

I very much love trying local and wild fruit.  All the commercial stuff we have here already.  Though rambutan and pulusan also grow here i hava tried some fantastic wild species or varieties in sabah, and that kind of thing i find VERY interesting and fun!

Im not a big durian guy, but the red fleshed one is a bucket list fruit.  Tried a couple wild red(ish) skinned durians, but not those bright red fleshed ones.  Even if they are horrible, really want to try one!

Maybe off topic but im also a huge Rafflasia fan :)

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 01:01:11 PM »
Go to Miri then Bekenu and ask for Durio testudinarium or go to the Lambir hills park near Miri and inform you with the guards about the Durio dulcis (Tuttong or red durian or durian merah). They have two big trees of this species near the entrance. I think in Kuching it will not be the fruit season so move to Sibu, Bintulu or Miri. You may have more good surprises in the south of Sabah at this time.

Gouralata (ten times in Sarawak)

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 07:17:25 AM »
Excellent, thank you!

So far for fruit just the normal imports.  Count some regular Syrian at a market, but they were delivering, not selling. Eventually sold me one.

The only other fruit of interest to me anyway was Asam payak. Sallacaa species sour for drinks.  Are they just young or normally like that.  Juicier than most other snakeskin fruit I've had, but really sour!

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »
You have to be sure you get salak mangis
Peter

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 12:03:16 PM »
Asam paya is Eleiodoxa conferta (sometime Salacca conferta), it is really sour that's the meanig of asam in malay.

Gouralata

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 12:19:01 PM »
Is salak mangos a fruit, or salak and mangosteen?  Mangosteen is said to not be in season, but they said same for durian and found a those within a few hours of landing, nice ones.  So I'm hopeful.

Thanks a lot for the sour salacca name!  We bought some, lots available now.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 05:58:16 PM »
Sorry, I think it is manis, the word for sweet in Malay.  Fruit sellers say that and sometimes have it written promoting the salak.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 02:12:05 PM »
Ok thanks for clarifying.  Found another salak today, but not very good.  Semi sour, little meat.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 03:58:41 PM »
MJC market was good today, far more stuff there by far!  Hard to get an address though for taxi apps haha.

Anyone know which species these are?

Sweet salak, looks similar to those we had in eastern Sabah.

Baccaurea angulata (?)

Mangifera so.  Some smelled durian ish, other pineapple ish and others a tropical mystery mix.  None smelled of typical mango. A lot of fiber, pink seeds.  nd idea on species?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 05:35:08 PM »
Use a nearby shop for grab taxi. There are many.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 10:49:06 AM »
Ya for real.  We got grab on the phone, its amazingly awesome.  But many aces have problems with GPS.  Mjc and UNIMAS ibec locations it just wouldn't find somehow.  Its fine going there cause can talk to the driver.  But going from with no driver yet its sometimes time consuming.  Mjc took about 40 mins with 2 local shop owners variously helping.  They could not get grab or uber to work well.  But so far it's the best market we have hit so far.

After some parks and animal photography we plan to rent a car and do a couple days in I.Indonesia before Sabah and home.  Happy so far with the fruit available.  Love Borneo so much!

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »
Enjoy the mangosteens and the langsat, the only really worthwhile fruits there, although that region does have an incredible biodiversity of all sorts of bizarre fruit species.

Also of course rambutan, pulasan, and lychee (although the region doesn't really specialize in lychee since it doesn't do the best in that ultra-tropical climate).

And of course durian and all the other related Artocarpus species, if you're into that sort of thing.

Sarawak does have pomelos but they're better in salads.
Lychees in Malaysia are imported from china.the plant will grow in Malaysia but doesn't flower nor fruit.As for pomelos go for the pink fleshed ones which is the sweetest

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 11:02:50 AM »
Luckily we have tons of both lychee and lonely in Taiwan, so can't really way many anymore.  But was wondering about lychee and Longan here...I've seen trees here.  On a walk today I saw the left overs of Longan fruit stalk on  a tree.  It certainly flowered and fruited but can't tell as it's all bare.  Do Longan do well here?  I imagine not.  But the trees look big and healthy.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 04:04:29 PM »
In nurseries they told me they use 'diamond' longan. That’s what works for us too.
Peter

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 11:18:21 PM »
Luckily we have tons of both lychee and lonely in Taiwan, so can't really way many anymore.  But was wondering about lychee and Longan here...I've seen trees here.  On a walk today I saw the left overs of Longan fruit stalk on  a tree.  It certainly flowered and fruited but can't tell as it's all bare.  Do Longan do well here?  I imagine not.  But the trees look big and healthy.
Longan especially variety from Thailand and Vietnam fruits in malaysia.it fruits year round.those varieties are ping pong,pepper seed longan,diamong longan etc.lots of longan in backyard garden in Malaysia and it's a squirrel and bat magnet

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 11:23:08 PM »
Till this day no one has ever fruited lychees here malaysia.would be great if that's possible and I believe if durian is the king of fruit then lychee is the queen not mangosteen.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 10:22:07 AM »
Till this day no one has ever fruited lychees here malaysia.would be great if that's possible and I believe if durian is the king of fruit then lychee is the queen not mangosteen.

You come to Thailand and i give you a tree that can do in Malaysia. Linchi Klom...Kom....Krom....

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 08:35:58 AM »
That's interesting. I wonder if a drier area would allow them to fruit better?  An area that has a dry season.

Its official, Cambrian are in season.  But west of mutang.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 03:43:50 AM »
Can  someone help me identify these.  We just left the market  near the Indonesian  border.  Between  the Chinese cave temple ok pulled over for  a few  stop in  the  brushes and spotted these curcurbits.  Any idea what they are?  3 civilised  leaves, somewhat like  a  bean.  Malkin  hard, flesh firm with little taste. Inner seed pulp filled with super hard seeds  and inky color.

Thanks for any suggestions, its really gorgeous ion  person!

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 08:10:11 AM »

You come to Thailand and i give you a tree that can do in Malaysia. Linchi Klom...Kom....Krom....
Yes I have heard of that variety.some sellers are selling it in Malaysia and also indonesia since several years ago.still no report of fruiting trees although as usual the sellers would claim otherwise .maybe it's too hot here whereas even in Bangkok temperature can drop to 17c while here temperature don't go below 19c .or maybe it's too wet.who knows and at the moment we can only hope for a fruiting lychee here