Author Topic: Looking for minimum 65 gal mango varieties in Broward county  (Read 1947 times)

Bishop

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
Looking for minimum 65 gal mango varieties in Broward county
« on: April 16, 2019, 10:09:07 PM »
I am looking to purchase a number of healthy mango trees but prefer them to be established. Looking for one of each variety; PPK, Nam Duc Mai, Bolt, Cecilove, and maybe a Venus. Please post to me if you have any in at least the size requested. I will also need delivery and installation if that is available.

Thank you kindly

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Looking for minimum 65 gal mango varieties in Broward county
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 08:35:15 AM »
I probably can't really help with this but if you state your location others might in the are might consider.

Bolt and Cecilove seem to only be promoted by Dr. Campbell and I don't think they are selling the trees, just fruit.

I think Excalibur might be your best bet for the rest if you're in southeast Florida.
You'll be able to see the trees you want and have them deliver it (i think they'll install too)
You're probably looking upwards of $500 a tree plus installation and delivery.

Not going to be easy finding a variety of trees in this size.
I personally would go this big but I'll assume you have your reasons

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »
What skhan said, if you are unable to find that big of a tree specimen I think 15-25 gallons will be good too. I saved $590 by buying a 15 gallon ice cream mango versus 45 gallon. My 15 gallon is full of flowers, whereas 45 gallon at the nursery has barely any flowers.

Bishop

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 01:59:01 PM »
I probably can't really help with this but if you state your location others might in the are might consider.

Am in Parkland and as far as the sizing my HOA wants me to put in the largest size I can, that is why I would prefer 65 gallon or more, if there was a tall and full plant in a smaller size pot that would be fine. As far as the varieties those are the ones I would prefer with PPK and Nam Duc Mai being my top two I want to source, if I can’t get my hands on the other plants I could consider doubling up or perhaps swapping to add a couple of lychee trees.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 03:13:51 PM »

Am in Parkland and as far as the sizing my HOA wants me to put in the largest size I can, that is why I would prefer 65 gallon or more, if there was a tall and full plant in a smaller size pot that would be fine. As far as the varieties those are the ones I would prefer with PPK and Nam Duc Mai being my top two I want to source, if I can’t get my hands on the other plants I could consider doubling up or perhaps swapping to add a couple of lychee trees.

I'm in Coral springs and when they ask for shade trees what's specified is 12ft. I suppose you are looking for something of a similar height.

Since you have a better idea on what they mean you might have to take a trip to Excalibur or some larger nurseries in homestead.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 04:40:47 PM »
What neighborhood in Parkland? Several of the HOAs (suchbas Heron Bay) specifically do not allow fruit trees. Others are insane with requiring architectural drawings, disclosure of the type of trees, etc. to the point I'd probably just pull my hair out (such as Cypress Head).

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 04:41:59 PM »
I would not plant PPK it is suscepitble to Rot and Bacterial leaf scorch. I have 5 trees and have not got any fruit in2 years
Mike

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 07:13:13 PM »
HAHAHA yah there is some sort of positive correlation between wealth and aversion to foliage / nature / anything remotely unkempt.

What neighborhood in Parkland? Several of the HOAs (suchbas Heron Bay) specifically do not allow fruit trees. Others are insane with requiring architectural drawings, disclosure of the type of trees, etc. to the point I'd probably just pull my hair out (such as Cypress Head).
Jeff  :-)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 08:19:25 AM »
HAHAHA yah there is some sort of positive correlation between wealth and aversion to foliage / nature / anything remotely unkempt.

:D :D

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 08:40:32 AM »

Royal Palm Yacht and Country Club (Boca Raton)--one of the wealthiest gated communities in the country--allows owners to use artificial turf in front of their homes.  I was appalled. :(  But hey, I guess it saves water.  Their electric bills are $600, but water only $100!  (Sorry to hijack your thread.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:08:10 AM by johnb51 »
John

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 07:46:34 PM »
I would not plant PPK it is suscepitble to Rot and Bacterial leaf scorch. I have 5 trees and have not got any fruit in2 years

Depends where you are I guess cuz mine is loaded and have had no issues. Last 2 years were light though with about 15-20 fruit each year. This year she exploded