Author Topic: Suggested Fibrous Mango  (Read 17819 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Suggested Fibrous Mango
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 11:55:51 PM »
Haden also has some fiber so maybe could be included on this list?
Oscar

natsgarden123

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 09:02:27 AM »
Does anyone know where I can taste a madame francis mango? Or a southern blush , for that matter?

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »
I'm with squam on this, I don't remember Southern Blush having this issue.
Tim

natsgarden123

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 10:46:46 AM »
I would imagine that someone is selling Haden locally- Haden does have some fiber-Since my husband lived here his whole life, maybe its Haden that he likes.

I know that people talk about the tree as having a lot of disease problems- I grew one- and the tree never experienced any issues- I have passed by the house ( long sold) and the tree is still there-now 15 years old and very large- it still looks healthy.
With that said,  the future one might have all kinds of issues.

If anyone here is selling Haden-please let me know :)
thanks

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »
I would imagine that someone is selling Haden locally- Haden does have some fiber-Since my husband lived here his whole life, maybe its Haden that he likes.

I know that people talk about the tree as having a lot of disease problems- I grew one- and the tree never experienced any issues- I have passed by the house ( long sold) and the tree is still there-now 15 years old and very large- it still looks healthy.

thanks
Van Dyke is very similar to Haden, and I actually like that one better.

Excalibur will have Haden fruit soon (not quite ready yet) and of course, they have the trees.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »
Does anyone know where I can taste a madame francis mango? Or a southern blush , for that matter?
Excalibur should have some fruit at some point, as should Zills.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »
Thanks Rob-let me know  :)
would like to try Van Dyke also

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »

thanks
Van Dyke is very similar to Haden, and I actually like that one better.

Excalibur will have Haden fruit soon (not quite ready yet) and of course, they have the trees.

I have Haden and Van Dyke. Van Dyke fruit is smaller, redder and prettier so makes better looking tree when fruit is on it. I like Haden taste so I should like Van Dyke. Here is one that fell off when I nudged it. It had better ripen up. Van Dyke must be more fibrous than Haden due to being smaller with higher seed to flesh ratio. My Haden is my largest tree and produces each year. I am glad I got it in 7 gallon size at Spykes nursery in 2008 because today it is that much larger. If you are starting your mini-mango grove one should get a mix of 3, 7 and 15 gallon so you will get some fruits sooner

Ruler says 4" long

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »
PS Mrs Nat -- Don't fret if the husband isn't into the mangoes and gardening quite yet. In a healthy marriage, spousal interests are quite contagious! I spent the first few years chiding my wife for planting things everywhere... until somewhere along the line I caught on and joined in on the fun :-).

Oh Jeff if that could only be true across the board!! My husband doesn't eat mangoes or any fruit for that matter...(other than green apples or some bananas in his protein shakes). He breaks my coconuts about the smell of the jackfruit 'stinking up the house' but he will help me in the yard on an occasion if I make a fat bottom lip at him and act helpless, otherwise he just watches me disappear into the yard. At least he doesn't complain anymore that my plants are more important to me than him LOL. But he is an awesome guy in every other way. It has been a desensitizing process and he is getting so much more tolerant of my love for growing tropical fruit. But him being "enthusiastic" with me at any level is about as remote as me hitting Powerball!! I can only remain hopeful for both :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:41:24 PM by MarinFla »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 11:39:40 AM »
PS Mrs Nat -- Don't fret if the husband isn't into the mangoes and gardening quite yet. In a healthy marriage, spousal interests are quite contagious! I spent the first few years chiding my wife for planting things everywhere... until somewhere along the line I caught on and joined in on the fun :-).

Oh Jeff it that could only be true across the board!! My husband doesn't eat mangoes or any fruit for that matter...(other than green apples or some bananas in his protein shakes). He breaks my coconuts about the smell of the jackfruit 'stinking up the house' but he will help me in the yard on an occasion if I make a fat bottom lip at him and act helpless, otherwise he just watches me disappear into the yard. At least he doesn't complain anymore that my plants are more important to me than him LOL. But he is an awesome guy in every other way. It has been a desensitizing process and he is getting so much more tolerant of my love for growing tropical fruit. But him being "enthusiastic" with me at any level is about as remote as me hitting Powerball!! I can only remain hopeful for both :)
:o :o :o ??? ??? :P :P :blank: :blank: :blank:
- Rob

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »
After reading the whole post, I was surprised that Springsfel was not mentioned. A tree ripe springsfel is excellent, and great for Jam making.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
I'm with you on this one Marin!! My dear hubby who is also great in SO many ways will never share my passion for growing fruit trees, gardening or anything related to plants...the only difference is he does like Mangoes and really enjoys eating them (almost as much as me). He doesn't like Jackfruit or lyches. To be perfectly honest, I don't mind at all..(More for me,lol...) Like you he does help me with planting trees or getting ready for a freeze...but other than that he pretty much leaves me to my "obsession"  ;)

Natalie...I'm sure you can totally relate as well...

Some spouses just cannot be converted  :(

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »
After reading the whole post, I was surprised that Springsfel was not mentioned. A tree ripe springsfel is excellent, and great for Jam making.
Springfels taste =  :( :-[ :'(
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 01:16:10 PM »
It seems like it's us women who have issues with spouses. I haven't heard of it the other way around. We tolerate the men's likes such as motorcycles, atvs and jetskis..just an observation. I do usually get my way.. :)

Back to the subject.  I have never tasted a van dyke and I look forward to trying it.  If not to my liking, then Haden is a definite contender.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »
It seems like it's us women who have issues with spouses. I haven't heard of it the other way around. We tolerate the men's likes such as motorcycles, atvs and jetskis..just an observation. I do usually get my way.. :)

Back to the subject.  I have never tasted a van dyke and I look forward to trying it.  If not to my liking, then Haden is a definite contender.
To be honest, while MF and EI are totally objectionable taste wise and fiber wise, Haden is actuall a very doo mango.  It just gets a bad reputation since it has been the "old timer" on the list.
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 02:09:35 PM »
It seems like it's us women who have issues with spouses. I haven't heard of it the other way around.

I have it the other way around.... :(

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2012, 02:15:34 PM »

To be honest, while MF and EI are totally objectionable taste wise and fiber wise, Haden is actuall a very doo mango.  It just gets a bad reputation since it has been the "old timer" on the list.

Haden is a good mango. :) Sometimes my old haden mangoes had little fiber, and other times it was more fibrous due to the weather.
Alexi

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »

BsBullie,

You are about the thrid person here on the forum from down south that has disliked Springsfels. I wonder if it has something to do with the soil or weather?
The Springsfels up here on Merritt Island are sweet and have a pineapple taste to them. Almost like a Golden Lippens, But With Fiber.
Do you know where I might find a Golden lippens, Mine was killed from a freze we had.

Joe.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »

BsBullie,

You are about the thrid person here on the forum from down south that has disliked Springsfels. I wonder if it has something to do with the soil or weather?
The Springsfels up here on Merritt Island are sweet and have a pineapple taste to them. Almost like a Golden Lippens, But With Fiber.
Do you know where I might find a Golden lippens, Mine was killed from a freze we had.

Joe.
You may be right.  While I notice the pineapple like nuance the overall taste to me is poor (others I know feel the same) and the fiber makes it that much worse.  I have tried to saw through it (as it is not only fibrous but somewhat dense) and like it but no dice.

Are you looking for a Golden Lippens tree/plant ?  If so, any specific size ?  PM me your number and I will give you a call if I locate it.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 02:54:53 PM »
I'm growing all of the mangoes listed in this thread.  All of them have their respective plusses and minuses.  Springfels has a nice flavor to me.  Its not in my top tier regarding flavor, but it certainly doesn't taste"bad"  to me anyway. I get a citrussy/pineapple sort of flavor.  There is some fiber, but not any more than its parent Haden.  The fruits are very large and meaty.  They are really great fior dehydration.  I would say Golden Lippens is better, but not by all that much. except on the fiber front

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2012, 02:58:40 PM »
I'm growing all of the mangoes listed in this thread.  All of them have their respective plusses and minuses.  Springfels has a nice flavor to me.  Its not in my top tier regarding flavor, but it certainly doesn't taste"bad"  to me anyway. I get a citrussy/pineapple sort of flavor.  There is some fiber, but not any more than its parent Haden.  The fruits are very large and meaty.  They are really great fior dehydration.  I would say Golden Lippens is better, but not by all that much. except on the fiber front

Harry
That is odd since the Springfels I have tried had much more fiber than a Haden.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »
It seems like it's us women who have issues with spouses. I haven't heard of it the other way around.

I have it the other way around.... :(

I would guess that there are lots more guys that have spouses that are not into fruit growing than vice versa. A vast majority of my clientele are males, so i would think this is a bigger problem for males. You just don't hear about it as much as guys rather talk about sports, women rather talk about their relationships.  ::) I get a lot of kidding from my wife about my passion for gardening. She doesn't like to do any of the garden work, but she always shows up right around harvest time!  ???
Oscar

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:14 PM »

thanks

I've got Haden.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2012, 01:01:39 AM »

thanks

I've got Haden.
Excalibur has a load of Haden...
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »

thanks

I've got Haden.
Excalibur has a load of Haden...

First Haden fell off my tree yesterday (one week earlier than last year) but most on the tree look 2 weeks away. One that fell off has some yellow coloration unlike those still hanging on for dear life