Author Topic: Grafting Ice Cream Bean  (Read 3095 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Grafting Ice Cream Bean
« on: February 04, 2019, 03:48:20 PM »
I have some ice cream bean seedlings growing currently. I would like to plant one in the ground, but I assume there is fruit variability among seedlings, so my question is:

Is it easy to graft onto ice cream bean?

and..

Is there any place to get scion wood of a good-tasting variety?

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: Grafting Ice Cream Bean
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 05:45:50 PM »
I have grafted quite a few different Inga. The botanical names are very hard to pin down on many species but a common one here in Florida is possibly Inga vera. I have grafted Inga edulis onto it and also Inga feuillei I got form Oscar. The I. feuillei grew for almost a year and flowered but ended up dying. It seemed like it could have been delayed incompatibility. The Inga edulis is grafted onto the same tree and has been the most vigorous grower but also the most cold sensitive. Inga edulis seems to be a weaker rootstock here in Florida.
-Josh

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 12:54:23 AM »
What would you say is a better tasting variety ?

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 01:42:26 AM »

This is a quote from the forum member KarenRei few months ago:

I. cinnamomea:
""nice cinnamon taste""
""Pennington calls this one of the best tasting ingas. I have a couple trees but not fruiting yet, but getting close, i hope!"" ""Yes Oscar, this is one of the best flavored Ingas,  may be the best, and probably the one with more flesh to eat. I really like it.""
""Cinnammomea is often rated as one of the better tasting ones. The ones i've had so far on the cinnamomea the pulp clings to the seed. In other ingas the pulp is non cling.""
""My favorite inga is the cinnamomea, pulpy, very sweet, and more damage flies resistant ""
""heavily scented flowers""

I. edulis:
""That is one of the most mislabeled trees I have seen. Every Inga tree is generically slapped with the edulis tag it seems"" [Florida]
""The Inga edulis seems to be a weak grower from me. The Inga vera is a beast."" [Florida]
Rusty's Market (įstralķa, kannski Cairns) - ""Inga edulis well over 5 ft and very thick but still young and firm"" ""Oscar's beans look so much smaller""
""Oscar: ""I like spectabilis most just because of mere quantity, they are huge pods with very big chunks around each seed, second would be feuillei, and third would be edulis""
""So which of the three taste the best and sweetest?"" ""Out of the ones I have tasted, Inga edulis is my favorite. The pods are super long and the pulp is very moist and sweet.""
""I've barely had my ice cream bean for a year and it's already over 6 ft.""
""According to Ducke (1949:33) there are two varieties of Inga edulis in existence, parvifolia and typica. The second variety, which is the one described here is the real ""inga-cipo"", with relatively large flowers and very long, thick fruits, which apparently only occur near settlements where it is intensively cultivated. It is one of the most popular fruit trees in the entire region
Frębelgir: aš 100sm. ""Best forms are in S. America"""

I. feiuilleei:
Actually like ice cream, according to Weird Fruit Explorer, though I. edulis said to be somewhat of a better fruit. Vs. I. vulpina: ""Feuillei is more vigorous.""
""Inga feuillei grows like weeds in a large pot for me. My seed-grown trees are less than 1 year in age and are 6+ ft tall.""
Oscar: ""I like spectabilis most just because of mere quantity, they are huge pods with very big chunks around each seed, second would be feuillei, and third would be edulis""
""The largest of the two is around 1.5 years from seed at 7ft. I have them growing in 18"" pots.""
""It has grown more than 2m in a 3l pot, now is in the ground, and more than 3m and branching nicely. It is +- 18 months.""
Frębelgir: ""long"""

I. laurina:
"""What kind of Inga could this be ? Small , 10 to 12 cm , very juice and great flavor . Huge producer"" ... ""I was really thrilled when I tasted this one , far superior in taste than all the others I have tasted so far ."" ... ""Has been identified as Inga laurina.""

I. paterno:
"""it is tedious and you don't get a lot of flesh for the effort. ""
Cotyledons ""blanched, then salted and used in salads or desserts"""

I. spectabilis:
Not as good according to Weird Fruit Explorer (vs. I. edulis: ""a little dry, a little mealy... maybe a little weaker, and not as sweet... Inferior.  Sorry, Colombia...."")
But according to Oscar: ""I am growing ... edulis, vulpina, gauchil, fastuosa, cinnamomea, feuillei, spectabilis. ... Right now i'm kind of especially fond of spectabilis, mostly because it is very large and has lots of good pulp. ...  I like spectabilis most just because of mere quantity, they are huge pods with very big chunks around each seed, second would be feuillei, and third would be edulis ... taste is really great""
"" 2-3 years old now but I only planted it in the ground about 9 months ago.  It's probably 3.5 feet tall, but it's quite wide -- maybe 5 feet in diameter.""
""Natural tendency of this tree is to form big umbrella shape. Just keep shortening the shoots that go horizontally, and eventually you will get upward growth"" ""Branches from fairly low down""
Frębelgir: 30-70x8x3sm ""usually containing only scant pulp"" (ha? Svo hvaš um I. spectabilis hjį Oscari?)"

I. striata:
Said to possibly be a subspecies of I. edulis, but: ""That is definitely not Inga edulis, nothing like it. It's probably not feuillei either""
Frębelgir: 18x3sm. ""The flowers of this tree are about the size of apples. The leaves are dark green and at biggest the size of a small mountain papaya.""
Rjómaķsbragš, meira vanilla-bragš en E. edulis en ekki eins sętt.
""I personally like this ice cream bean the best out of every ice cream bean I have eaten. The pulp was a lot less fibrous than the common ice cream bean, melting in the mouth like a sugar cube.""
""Early bearing"" žżšir ekki precocious, heldur er uppskerutķminn nóv-feb heldur en mar-jśl."

I. vulpina:
"""Feuillei is more vigorous.""
""The Inga vulpina is a lot slower grower (3-4x) than all the other species of inga i have, probably because vulpina is considered dwarf compered to other species.""
""pods are very small compared to other species.""
Frębelgir: aš 6x3sm."

All Thanks for KarenRei.
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »
We have Inga vulpina grafted onto What we think is an Inga vera seedling - budwood was purchased from Oscar. Very pleased with our purchase! Fruitlovers.com

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »
I have only tasted what is probably Inga vera and Inga feuillei and they were both just ok. Inga edulis is supposed to be one of the better tasting varieties. Hopefully mine fruits this year. I don't think any Inga fruit is going to be top tier but the trees have lots of other benefits like nitrogen fixation and massive insect presence on it's flowers and massive nectaries on the petioles.

-Josh

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 12:29:52 PM »
I have only tasted what is probably Inga vera and Inga feuillei and they were both just ok. Inga edulis is supposed to be one of the better tasting varieties. Hopefully mine fruits this year. I don't think any Inga fruit is going to be top tier but the trees have lots of other benefits like nitrogen fixation and massive insect presence on it's flowers and massive nectaries on the petioles.

How tall do they grow in FL? I bought a seedling and debating if I should plant it in Southern Cali in case it grows over 20' here in the US.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »
Inga can be hacked back down almost to the ground every year and grow back fine.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 04:37:07 PM »
Inga can be hacked back down almost to the ground every year and grow back fine.

Good to know, I will be planting the seedling soon, thanks.

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 05:04:39 PM »

I. cinnamomea:
""nice cinnamon taste""
""Pennington calls this one of the best tasting ingas. I have a couple trees but not fruiting yet, but getting close, i hope!"" ""Yes Oscar, this is one of the best flavored Ingas,  may be the best, and probably the one with more flesh to eat. I really like it.""
""Cinnammomea is often rated as one of the better tasting ones. The ones i've had so far on the cinnamomea the pulp clings to the seed. In other ingas the pulp is non cling.""
""My favorite inga is the cinnamomea, pulpy, very sweet, and more damage flies resistant ""

I. edulis:
""That is one of the most mislabeled trees I have seen. Every Inga tree is generically slapped with the edulis tag it seems"" [Florida]
""The Inga edulis seems to be a weak grower from me. The Inga vera is a beast."" [Florida]
Rusty's Market (įstralķa, kannski Cairns) - ""Inga edulis well over 5 ft and very thick but still young and firm"" ""Oscar's beans look so much smaller""
""Oscar: ""I like spectabilis most just because of mere quantity, they are huge pods with very big chunks around each seed, second would be feuillei, and third would be edulis""
""So which of the three taste the best and sweetest?"" ""Out of the ones I have tasted, Inga edulis is my favorite. The pods are super long and the pulp is very moist and sweet.""
""According to Ducke (1949:33) there are two varieties of Inga edulis in existence, parvifolia and typica. The second variety, which is the one described here is the real ""inga-cipo"", with relatively large flowers and very long, thick fruits, which apparently only occur near settlements where it is intensively cultivated. It is one of the most popular fruit trees in the entire region

I. feiuilleei:
Actually like ice cream, according to Weird Fruit Explorer, though I. edulis said to be somewhat of a better fruit. Vs. I. vulpina: ""Feuillei is more vigorous.""
""Inga feuillei grows like weeds in a large pot for me. My seed-grown trees are less than 1 year in age and are 6+ ft tall.""
Oscar: ""I like spectabilis most just because of mere quantity, they are huge pods with very big chunks around each seed, second would be feuillei, and third would be edulis""
""The largest of the two is around 1.5 years from seed at 7ft. I have them growing in 18"" pots.""
""It has grown more than 2m in a 3l pot, now is in the ground, and more than 3m and branching nicely. It is +- 18 months.""

I. laurina:
"""What kind of Inga could this be ? Small , 10 to 12 cm , very juice and great flavor . Huge producer"" ... ""I was really thrilled when I tasted this one , far superior in taste than all the others I have tasted so far ."" ... ""Has been identified as Inga laurina.""

I. paterno:

I. spectabilis:
Not as good according to Weird Fruit Explorer (vs. I. edulis: ""a little dry, a little mealy... maybe a little weaker, and not as sweet... Inferior.  Sorry, Colombia...."")
But according to Oscar: ""I am growing ... edulis, vulpina, gauchil, fastuosa, cinnamomea, feuillei, spectabilis. ... Right now i'm kind of especially fond of spectabilis, mostly because it is very large and has lots of good pulp. ...  I like spectabilis most just because of mere quantity, they are huge pods with very big chunks around each seed, second would be feuillei, and third would be edulis ... taste is really great""
"" 2-3 years old now but I only planted it in the ground about 9 months ago.  It's probably 3.5 feet tall, but it's quite wide -- maybe 5 feet in diameter.""
""Natural tendency of this tree is to form big umbrella shape. Just keep shortening the shoots that go horizontally, and eventually you will get upward growth"" ""Branches from fairly low down""
Frębelgir: 30-70x8x3sm ""usually containing only scant pulp"" (ha? Svo hvaš um I. spectabilis hjį Oscari?)"

I. striata:
Said to possibly be a subspecies of I. edulis, but: ""That is definitely not Inga edulis, nothing like it. It's probably not feuillei either""
Frębelgir: 18x3sm. ""The flowers of this tree are about the size of apples. The leaves are dark green and at biggest the size of a small mountain papaya.""
""I personally like this ice cream bean the best out of every ice cream bean I have eaten. The pulp was a lot less fibrous than the common ice cream bean, melting in the mouth like a sugar cube.""
""Early bearing"" žżšir ekki precocious, heldur er uppskerutķminn nóv-feb heldur en mar-jśl."

I. vulpina:
""The Inga vulpina is a lot slower grower (3-4x) than all the other species of inga i have, probably because vulpina is considered dwarf compered to other species.""

All Thanks for KarenRei.

Thank you very helpful!

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 08:09:31 PM »

I. cinnamomea:
""nice cinnamon taste""

I. edulis:

I. feiuilleei:

I. laurina:

I. paterno:

I. spectabilis:

I. striata:

I. vulpina:

All Thanks for KarenRei.

Amazing info, thank you! Do you know if there is grafting compatibility between these?

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 02:16:43 PM »
I am pretty sure that is crapshoot. I have only seen grafted Inga at Geosulcata's house and a picture of xshen's multirootstock that was a mislabeled species. I am willing to bet that 99.99999999999999999% are seed grown. I grafted a bunch of different species I ordered from Oscar but the only one I was able to get a take on was the I. feuillei I mentioned earlier. That recently died from what looked like delayed incompatibility but I can be certain. I don't have any conclusive answers here outside of Inga edulis is compatible with possible Inga vera.

I. cinnamomea:
""nice cinnamon taste""

I. edulis:

I. feiuilleei:

I. laurina:

I. paterno:

I. spectabilis:

I. striata:

I. vulpina:

All Thanks for KarenRei.

Amazing info, thank you! Do you know if there is grafting compatibility between these?
-Josh

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 04:26:58 PM »
I'm wondering why people aren't trying to grow them as cuttings. Supposedly most of them take from cuttings?
Oscar

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 03:02:19 AM »
I'm wondering why people aren't trying to grow them as cuttings. Supposedly most of them take from cuttings?

This is interesting Oscar, I might try it, Do you have any cuttings available?
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 05:45:49 AM »

This is interesting Oscar, I might try it, Do you have any cuttings available?
Yes can send cuttings of Inga cinnamomea, edulis, fastuosa, feuillei, gauchadii, spectabilis, and vulpina.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk