Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620385 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #950 on: April 15, 2014, 02:18:00 AM »
Overheard Don from going-bananas the other day at fairchild, saying that nematodes can be a problem here in FL...He recommended 2 feet of mulch!  FWIW, but i trust he knows his stuff regarding bananas
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Johnny from the Springs

• US, FL, Coral Springs
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 16, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »
Hello,

After a few years of reading the forum I have taken the next step and joined.  I live in Coral Springs, FL and have been an avid tropical fruit fan for about five years now.  I have purchased tropical fruit trees from Pine Island, Excalibur and Tropical Plants, and have had very good experiences with each of them.  Like most of the people in the forum, my most challenging decision is where to put the newest addition.  I have used this forum thoroughly in years past and found it my main source of research.  I enjoy growing tropical fruits and look forward to joining many discussions here on the forum.

Kind regards,
John

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 16, 2014, 02:12:17 PM »
welcome Johnny!  Glad you came out of the shadows!   ;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 16, 2014, 03:12:57 PM »
Overheard Don from going-bananas the other day at fairchild, saying that nematodes can be a problem here in FL...He recommended 2 feet of mulch!  FWIW, but i trust he knows his stuff regarding bananas

What is the problem? That nematodes attack bananas or that bananas spread them? I have never had any problems .... I have bananas of diff kinds none are tissue cultured

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 16, 2014, 03:16:42 PM »
Hello,

After a few years of reading the forum I have taken the next step and joined.  I live in Coral Springs, FL and have been an avid tropical fruit fan for about five years now.  I have purchased tropical fruit trees from Pine Island, Excalibur and Tropical Plants, and have had very good experiences with each of them.  Like most of the people in the forum, my most challenging decision is where to put the newest addition.  I have used this forum thoroughly in years past and found it my main source of research.  I enjoy growing tropical fruits and look forward to joining many discussions here on the forum.

Kind regards,
John

Welcome Johnny. I am sure you will enjoy it here. I live in Coral Springs as well, right behind Mullins Park. What all are you growing?

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 16, 2014, 03:55:09 PM »

What is the problem? That nematodes attack bananas or that bananas spread them? I have never had any problems .... I have bananas of diff kinds none are tissue cultured

Someone (I think it was Noel) was saying that their ______ type bananas were only half the size as they should be.  Don responded that nematodes can be a big problem, but probably only in certain cases.  You mulch pretty heavily so it wouldn't be a problem for you, but nonetheless, it is insight into the fact that you could even mulch them more to make them happy.  If it ain't broke, though, don't fix it. 
~Jeff

Johnny from the Springs

• US, FL, Coral Springs
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 16, 2014, 04:23:48 PM »
Thanks for the welcome gunnar and mangokothiyan.

Mangokothiyan,

In ground, I have two red Grumichama, one Gefner Atemoya, three dwarf pomegranates, sugar-cane, two dwarf coconut palms, Pickering mango, Choc-anon mango, Sweetheart Lychee, Mauritius Lychee, Rhode Red orange, Mai-3 Jakfruit and several desert bananas.

In pots, I have several varieties of mangoes, lemons, figs, carambola, oranges, pineapple guava and my favorite...miracle fruit.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 16, 2014, 05:20:36 PM »
Thanks for the welcome gunnar and mangokothiyan.

Mangokothiyan,

In ground, I have two red Grumichama, one Gefner Atemoya, three dwarf pomegranates, sugar-cane, two dwarf coconut palms, Pickering mango, Choc-anon mango, Sweetheart Lychee, Mauritius Lychee, Rhode Red orange, Mai-3 Jakfruit and several desert bananas.

In pots, I have several varieties of mangoes, lemons, figs, carambola, oranges, pineapple guava and my favorite...miracle fruit.

That is a lovely collection! Congrats..

I am more into mangoes - have about 12 diff varieties in the ground  - and also have two mamey sapote, three sapodilla, one coconut palm, june plum, Sweetheart Lychee, Mauritius Lychee, two moringa trees, a sugar apple and a Bangkok Lemon jackfruit. Would love to see your collection some day. I also have a banana from Njahlipoovan (it is from India, where I am from). Possibly the best I've ever had. Will gladly give you a pup if you want one.

Johnny from the Springs

• US, FL, Coral Springs
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 17, 2014, 12:12:13 PM »
Mangokothiyan,

Thank you for the offer.  Your other non-mango trees are very impressive as well.  I am a huge mango fan myself, but not nearly as experienced as most of the people here in the forum.  The current collection in pots is Cogshall, Fairchild, Neelam and a pickering (my first tree).
I would love to hear more about your mango collection.  Which is you favorite?

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 17, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
Coral Springs is taking over this forum. I move to change the title to Coral Springs Tropical Fruit Discussion. Do I have a second?

tropfruit

• Southern California
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com
« Reply #960 on: April 17, 2014, 04:28:58 PM »
New to the forum.  This is Tony from SoCal.  To be exact, I am in San Gabriel Valley.

Have anyone have any luck on growing Mangosteen & Rambutan in California?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 17, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »
Mangokothiyan,

Thank you for the offer.  Your other non-mango trees are very impressive as well.  I am a huge mango fan myself, but not nearly as experienced as most of the people here in the forum.  The current collection in pots is Cogshall, Fairchild, Neelam and a pickering (my first tree).
I would love to hear more about your mango collection.  Which is you favorite?

I love the Carrie and  luckily for me, it looks like I will get a decent crop this year. I also love PPK (Lemon Meringue) but I told that it takes time before starting to produce well. I also have the Nam Doc Mai, two pickerings, a Keitt, Duncan, Bailey's Marvel, Mallika, Maha Chanok, Juicy peach, Sweet Tart and an Ugly Betty.  ST, UB and JP are small trees, just in the ground. I am most excited about my Kesar, which has little fruits on it for the first time. I am from India and I have heard great things about it; it is said to be as good or better than Alphonso. So keeping my fingers crossed. The Sweet Tart is said to be very good and productive too...

I have also topworked a mislabeled Glenn with Neelam, Choc Anon, Florigon and Brhm Kei Mea. I have Fairchild, ZillIndo-Chinese and Pim Saen Mun on my Bailey marvel. More mango trees than I need, but it is hard to stop. This is what the hobby does to you.

My favorite mango is something that does not produce well here - mulgoa. I had it when in India and it was like a slice of heaven. that good..

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 17, 2014, 04:48:25 PM »
New to the forum.  This is Tony from SoCal.  To be exact, I am in San Gabriel Valley.

Have anyone have any luck on growing Mangosteen & Rambutan in California?

I second it, wholeheartedly!! Not sure the others will agree though.

georgesunny

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 21, 2014, 01:43:22 AM »
Hey Mango "Kothiyan," Great efforts on Mango.

Probably you must have heard about "Nattumavu," We have an excellent variety called "Chakkara mavu. small fruits in bunches, great flavor. We have been producing its bud grafts in large scale. Available at "Homegrown Nursery and Farms" Kanjirapally, Kerala, India.

TRI433

• Homestead, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 23, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »
Hello everyone here!  I am a new member from Citrus Growers Forum and also Bananas.org.     Right now I am growing mangos, avocados, bananas, and papaya.    I am sure there is a lot to learn on this forum from others who no doubt have a lot more experience than I do growing tropical fruit trees.   

georgesunny

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 24, 2014, 08:20:45 AM »
So nice to see you here!

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 28, 2014, 09:08:01 PM »
Thought I'd put an end to the lurking and introduce myself.  I'm relatively new to this addiction hobby.   :)

I live in Sunrise, FL, 10b if my neighbors are to be believed. I recently moved into a house with a modest backyard which I've filled with the following:

Nam Doc Mai
Carrie
Graham
Lemon Zest (courtesy of Zands)
Van Dyke (also courtesy of Zands)
Carambola Kari
Pomegranate Wonderful
Peach UF Sun
Florida Hass Avocado
And a random fledgling papaya

All are newly planted babies except for the ones from Zands and I've been reading up to learn as much as I can about taking care of them.

The real reason I decided to come out of the shadows tonight is I'm concerned about my Van Dyke, which was transplanted from Zands yard to mine yesterday. It may be quite normal but may also be indicative of a problem so I'm hoping one of the mango docs can lend some advice. I noticed today that some of the new growth towards the top of the tree, so far only on one side, has some unhappy leaves curling up. Here's a pic:

I welcome any thoughts, comments, suggestions.

Thanks to all for this awesome forum, look forward to chatting with everyone and learning more!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:14:07 PM by canesgirl821 »

luiz r. belline

• Brazil - São Paulo Sorocaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 28, 2014, 10:43:27 PM »
Hi guys! My name is Luiz and I'm from Brazil. I work at Toyota as engineer and what I really enjoy to do in my life is to take care of my tropical fruit trees at my dad's small farm. We have grumixama, cereja do rio grande, guabiju, cambuca, cereja de joinville, red pitanga, black pitanga, acerola, saguaragi, cabeludinha, jaracatia, yellow araçá, red araçá, giant araçá, pear araçá, araçá piranga, pitomba, uvaia and others I can remember now. I'm very glad to know that other people share the same kind of fascination by the nature. If you have some doubt about brazilian tropical fruits, please let me know, I will try to help. Thanks!!!

luiz r. belline

• Brazil - São Paulo Sorocaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 28, 2014, 10:57:12 PM »
Hi guys! My name is Luiz and I'm from Brazil. I work at Toyota as engineer and what I really enjoy to do in my life is to take care of my tropical fruit trees at my dad's small farm. We have grumixama, cereja do rio grande, guabiju, cambuca, cereja de joinville, red pitanga, black pitanga, acerola, saguaragi, cabeludinha, jaracatia, yellow araçá, red araçá, giant araçá, pear araçá, araçá piranga, pitomba, uvaia and others I can remember now. I'm very glad to know that other people share the same kind of fascination by the nature. If you have some doubt about brazilian tropical fruits, please let me know, I will try to help. Thanks!!!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #969 on: April 29, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »
The real reason I decided to come out of the shadows tonight is I'm concerned about my Van Dyke, which was transplanted from Zands yard to mine yesterday. It may be quite normal but may also be indicative of a problem so I'm hoping one of the mango docs can lend some advice. I noticed today that some of the new growth towards the top of the tree, so far only on one side, has some unhappy leaves curling up. Here's a pic:

Thanks to all for this awesome forum, look forward to chatting with everyone and learning more!

Looks like normal tranplantation shock.  Keep it very well watered and you should be fine.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 29, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »

Looks like normal tranplantation shock.  Keep it very well watered and you should be fine.

Thank you for your input, if a mango expert like yourself thinks it's ok that makes me feel much better!  :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #971 on: April 30, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »

I agree with Harry. Along with watering it well i also suggest to mist it several times a day. It's having trouble absorbing enough moisture. Also would be good to throw a sheet cover over it for a couple of days, or anything to shade it from full sun, while it recooperates.
Oscar

FruitAddict

• Zone 11a
    • Limpopo, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 01, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »

I agree with Harry. Along with watering it well i also suggest to mist it several times a day. It's having trouble absorbing enough moisture. Also would be good to throw a sheet cover over it for a couple of days, or anything to shade it from full sun, while it recooperates.

I might add that I also agree.  We transplanted two trees the other day.  The one did well, but the other one's leaves were hanging.  It hanged for a week or so.  We gave it extra water and also mist with a little something extra in and now it is doing well, although smaller than the other tree.

kevin8715

• CA Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 25, 2014, 10:47:31 PM »
Hi,
Tropical fruit grower in California. I currently have passion fruit, avocado(not fruited yet), mango seedlings, cherimoya, sugar cane, bananas, and coffee seedlings. In actuality I have been more focused on growing and breeding my own vegetables. For example, growing out potatoes from true seeds. Hope to have some fun on this forum asking questions, answering some, and trading.
Sunset Zone 21 Hotttttt

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 27, 2014, 07:15:33 PM »
Hi,
Tropical fruit grower in California. I currently have passion fruit, avocado(not fruited yet), mango seedlings, cherimoya, sugar cane, bananas, and coffee seedlings. In actuality I have been more focused on growing and breeding my own vegetables. For example, growing out potatoes from true seeds. Hope to have some fun on this forum asking questions, answering some, and trading.

Kevin,

Nice to meet you, I am interested in breeding my own vegetables eventually. I am also growing some potatoes from TPS seeds.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.