Author Topic: 2021 Mango Season (Florida)  (Read 22897 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: 2021 Mango Season (Florida)
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2021, 01:17:27 PM »
Guava, Kesar, and NDM4 pushing now. More on Sugarloaf. Glenn and OS look to be starting as well.

Paid a chunk to have 2 palm trees chopped and 2 more trimmed, so lots more sun for some shy fruiting trees that were too shaded.

Have a feeling its going to be a sweet mango season.

I agree, just about everything in my yard is pushing flowers now.
It might not be a complete bloom on every tree but i don't mind a staggered crop

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2021, 01:53:01 PM »
Same here with full blooms on:
Guava

Cotton Candy

M 4

Maha Chanok

Lemon Zest

Nam Doc Mai--no photo

Mango trees with partical blooms or just started: Pickering; Cac; Bombay; Honey Kiss; Lemon Meringue; and Sweet tart.

Besides the cooler weather it has been relatively dry here.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2021, 02:10:03 PM »
At least one of the “Number 11” trees in the Dade county collections (not sure if it’s Fairchild/USDA) is a fraud.

This is not the real Number 11:

I hope USDA's Number 11 isn't a fraud.  Dr. Campbell donated it.  But I guess we'll see in a few months :-)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2021, 02:58:17 PM »

So, (just my luck) looks like of all the varieties I grafted last season, the tiny ~2ft tall Honeykiss on a Kent seedling decided it would push a panicle. I top-worked a fairly large Ataulfo tree with Guava, Sweet tart, Duncan, Dwarf Hawaiian, Rosiegold, Pineapple Pleasure, Pickering, Lemon Zest, Sugarloaf and another unknown variety, all healthy takes with at least two growth flushes, not a single panicle. Looks like I’ll be mangoless again for another season, but the future looks bright...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 03:01:04 PM by JakeFruit »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2021, 07:01:12 PM »
Its not over yet, second and third flush could light up your top worked tree.  .. and lower risk of a rogue freeze late knocking off the fruit set.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2021, 10:07:37 AM »

So, (just my luck) looks like of all the varieties I grafted last season, the tiny ~2ft tall Honeykiss on a Kent seedling decided it would push a panicle. I top-worked a fairly large Ataulfo tree with Guava, Sweet tart, Duncan, Dwarf Hawaiian, Rosiegold, Pineapple Pleasure, Pickering, Lemon Zest, Sugarloaf and another unknown variety, all healthy takes with at least two growth flushes, not a single panicle. Looks like I’ll be mangoless again for another season, but the future looks bright...

Thats waaaay too many varieties to topwork on one tree and not good with varying rates of growth habit from the different varieties.

I am not a fan of really having more than two varieties on one tree for a multitude of reasons but in any event, you should have varieties with similar growth habits.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2021, 12:10:27 PM »

Thats waaaay too many varieties to topwork on one tree and not good with varying rates of growth habit from the different varieties.

I am not a fan of really having more than two varieties on one tree for a multitude of reasons but in any event, you should have varieties with similar growth habits.
Thanks Rob I've been asking that question and have not received a good answer. How many grafts of each variety would you graft just for a couple of people? I've been told the fallacy that the host tree will tame the grafted variety. Is that just wishful thinking?
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2021, 12:33:36 PM »
Yeah, not planning on keeping them all on the tree long-term, it kinda just happened. I ran out of seedlings to graft to and started grafting extras onto the Ataulfo I was top-working. Everything took when I grafted to the tree, it's amazing how much easier it is to graft to a vigorous tree versus a seedling. Using it as a stationing location for now; next season I'll take scions from the varieties on the tree and graft to a few dozen seedlings I started last season, then I'll assess what I want to leave on the tree. I can already tell Sweet tart would take everything over in short order, it's doubling/tripling the growth of most the rest.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2021, 05:32:27 PM »
I never grafted, plan to change that this summer.  FLnative, i might need u to snip 1 piece of all your trees for me this summer.
Jakefruit, vigorous host you say's best?  I have big ol Kent i constantly prune summer/fall that has plenty of branches i'd try grafting to.

2021 bud action- i just checked for anthracnose & saw lots more buds & spikes since 2 days ago, anthracnose too!  Gave it a quick mild copper spray.  Over the past 6 months i fed it quite well with fert & foliar.  Fingers crossed if i keep anthracnose & powdery mildew in check, this will be good year. 
mother nature decides
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 09:28:44 PM by EddieF »

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2021, 09:43:22 PM »
Well, I only have this one tree to compare it to, but scions grafted to it last season pushed days/weeks sooner than grafts to seedlings and they never failed after the first push (3 attempts did fail to take, but that's out of .15 or so attempts). I imagine a less vigorous tree wouldn't be quite as easy, but your Kent should be similar.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2021, 10:38:47 PM »
Jakefruit, this is tree.  I prune the heck out of it every yr.
This summer it'd be fun to try a few great varieties on it.
It grows orange sticky flesh with fiber, makes puddle in dish to drink.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2021, 08:40:27 AM »
Wow, really nice looking tree. I'd be happy to give you my suggestions (you'll probably get others' ideas, too), but we are highjacking the current topic a bit. Start a new thread in the forum (title it, "How should I topic work my Kent mango tree" or something similar), be sure to post this same picture again in it and I'll give you my opinion.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2021, 01:28:07 PM »
E4 - full bloom
Pina Colada - full bloom
OS (from Cookie) - full bloom
Peach Cobbler - partial bloom
Sweet Tart - partial bloom
Guava  - just starting full bloom
Yi Xaun - full bloom (potentially its last season, do or die)
Pineapple Pleasure - partial bloom
M4 - partial bloom
Spirit of 76 - full bloom
Juicy Peach  - partial bloom
Cotton Candy  - full bloom
Phoenix - partial bloom with more on the way
Amy - just starting to push blooms

Everything else is still on pause
- Rob

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2021, 01:49:26 PM »
How's anthracnose for you guys?  It won't quit on large Kent.  Quick copper spray again shortly.
Small Pickering, Fruit cocktail, Maha Chanok's clean.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2021, 03:13:53 PM »
Yeah, not planning on keeping them all on the tree long-term, it kinda just happened. I ran out of seedlings to graft to and started grafting extras onto the Ataulfo I was top-working. Everything took when I grafted to the tree, it's amazing how much easier it is to graft to a vigorous tree versus a seedling. Using it as a stationing location for now; next season I'll take scions from the varieties on the tree and graft to a few dozen seedlings I started last season, then I'll assess what I want to leave on the tree. I can already tell Sweet tart would take everything over in short order, it's doubling/tripling the growth of most the rest.
I have one like yours, I call it a "nurse tree" and it holds everything until I can find a "forever" spot for them.
Rob is right though, some varieties shade out others and unless you transfer some quickly you, they will be crowded out by more vigorous varieties. 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2021, 07:09:32 PM »
How's anthracnose for you guys?  It won't quit on large Kent.  Quick copper spray again shortly.

No issues in Wellington.  I do have good open airflow around my trees.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2021, 07:10:42 PM »

Kent is a mess, disease-wise.
- Rob

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2021, 07:45:22 PM »
I’ve got partial bloom on 3 of my young trees:
Question: Why are the first Panicles on the shaded side of each tree(NE side on all 3 trees) and on the lower, smaller  branch on each tree? Is this common, a pattern or coincidence? Each tree is grafted and all branches are far above the grafts. Cultivars are E4, Baileys Marvel and Keitt.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2021, 07:47:04 PM »
Rob, good to know it's not all my fault.  Keeping it as privacy hedge i know is, feeding anthracnose.
It's my first home grown gateway mango.  I never liked mangos, store fruit should come with warning label lol.
So looking forward to enjoying what i get from it!  Eventually i'll start thread for grafting on it.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2021, 08:03:41 AM »
Question: Why are the first Panicles on the shaded side of each tree(NE side on all 3 trees) and on the lower, smaller  branch on each tree? Is this common, a pattern or coincidence? Each tree is grafted and all branches are far above the grafts. Cultivars are E4, Baileys Marvel and Keitt.
First, I have not made that observation as a rule though I have seen flowering low on some trees.

This is just a WAG, but colder air sinks and the lower part of your trees may have seen just enough cold stimulus.
Also during a cold front which direction does the wind blow in your yard?  Are the trees in a depressed location?  and are there any wind breaks or heat sources such as home close to the non flowering side?

I am curious to hear what others have to say.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2021, 08:33:52 AM »
First, I have not made that observation as a rule though I have seen flowering low on some trees.

This is just a WAG, but colder air sinks and the lower part of your trees may have seen just enough cold stimulus.
Also during a cold front which direction does the wind blow in your yard?  Are the trees in a depressed location?  and are there any wind breaks or heat sources such as home close to the non flowering side?

I have been scratching my head wondering the same thing. My sweet tart is flowering on the North side. It is on the south side of my house out about 20 ft protected from the north wind. It started flowering on North shaded Side Lower branches first  I did get a ladder and look down and there is some on top sort of on the North side huh. I just went out and inspected the Southside not much activity yet.

Forced labor as a result of leaving the gate open and letting the poodle roll around in beggar's lice >:(  :(

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 09:08:51 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2021, 09:26:18 AM »
The temperatures in south Florida have been/are looking favorable enough that we should see a major response from the trees in February that haven’t already flowered.

Depending on fruit set, this could mean the best bloom since 2015 and maybe since 2009 (an all time season).

For perspective, we’ve only had two good mango seasons since 2009: 2015 and 2017. The rest of them I’d grade as average or subpar.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2021, 07:49:29 PM »

I have been scratching my head wondering the same thing. My sweet tart is flowering on the North side. It is on the south side of my house out about 20 ft protected from the north wind. It started flowering on North shaded Side Lower branches first  I did get a ladder and look down and there is some on top sort of on the North side huh. I just went out and inspected the Southside not much activity yet.

Forced labor as a result of leaving the gate open and letting the poodle roll around in beggar's lice >:(  :(

My yard is dedicated solely to my mango trees so they are all spaced at least 15 ft apart in two rows. There are no heat sources, and all of the flowers all sit on the leeward side of the trees on a NW wind from a cold front. The biggest variables may be the sun heating the other side of the trees and/or your great theory of the lower, colder air. Thanks for the interesting input.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2021, 08:56:00 PM »
E4 - full bloom
Pina Colada - full bloom
M4 - partial bloom

Son Pari is starting to bloom out
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2021, 11:16:24 PM »
E4 - full bloom
Pina Colada - full bloom
M4 - partial bloom

Son Pari is starting to bloom out
Nice.  It looks like your trees are finally kicking in.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:44:25 PM by johnb51 »
John