Author Topic: Sapodilla care  (Read 1788 times)

alexO

• View Profile
Sapodilla care
« on: May 02, 2014, 04:23:14 PM »
Hello all

I bought a Haysa Sapodilla at the BRFC plant sale last weekend. I have no Sapodilla experience but to me it looks like it was recently repotted and may be planted a little to deep, I can dig down two and a half inches before I reach the roots.

Is that to deep for a Sapodilla? Should I remove some soil from the top or leave it the way it is?

Thanks,
Alex

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Sapodilla care
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »
Leave it alone. The best thing about growing Sapodilla is that its a super tough tree with very little maintenance required. One thing I have noticed with my Sapodilla trees is when first planted they won't grow or do anything for the first couple months while they adjust. Keep in mind that Hasya grows large and tall so you may want to get it in the ground and out of that pot sooner rather then later. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:02:20 PM by SWRancher »

alexO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 05:00:45 PM »
I love it when its that easy!

Thanks so much.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:16:02 PM by alexO »

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »
Hello all

I bought a Haysa Sapodilla at the BRFC plant sale last weekend. I have no Sapodilla experience but to me it looks like it was recently repotted and may be planted a little to deep, I can dig down two and a half inches before I reach the roots.

Is that to deep for a Sapodilla? Should I remove some soil from the top or leave it the way it is?

Thanks,
Alex

I have two Sapodilla, they're wonderfully trouble free. I give them occasional fertilizer, mulch, and water, that's it. The only problem is they grow TOO DARN SLOW :-)

They're  one of my fave fruits.
Regards,

Gary

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 07:19:09 AM »
Don't pick up the plant by the trunk like a mango, it could damage the root system. Slice the pot and remove the root ball with your hands. I got that tip from Bender's, in one month I have new growth and flowers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk