Author Topic: Honey Tangerines from Publix....what variety?  (Read 1848 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Honey Tangerines from Publix....what variety?
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:53:56 PM »
I have been eating a lot of citrus lately.  I really liked these ones I got from Publix---think they were calling them"golden mandarins."  The marketing sticker on the fruit says "Honey Tangerine from FL" 

The question I have is...  What is the tree called that produces these wonderful fruit.  Hoping whatever it is, they grow well in South FL.

Is it just a generic marketing term for FL-grown tangerines?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

alexO

• View Profile
Re: Honey Tangerines from Publix....what variety?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »
I believe it is a Murcott(don't count on my spelling).

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 04:42:59 PM »
Its a Florida variety called "Honey Murcott," not to be confused with the "Murcott" out west.  I used to eat them at my Grandfathers Grove near Tampa, they should grow as well as any other citrus will in Palm Beach.     
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:47:31 PM by SWRancher »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:40:18 PM »
Honey Murcott is a wonderful variety. I used to have a tree in my orchard, which unfortunately died recently.  :'( I ofcourse planted an immediate replacement. But it's sorely missed. You can tell this variety as it is very hard to peel, very thin skinned, shape is quite flattened, very juicy, and as name implies, very sweet tasting. One of my favorites, along with Minneola tangelo.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 01:48:40 AM »
My honey murcott fruits prolifically and fruits in the tropics get expressed closer to the orange than the mandarin side of the family.They are great for juice.I grow emperor and hickson mandarins as well and they go well.18 or 19 latitude seems to be the limit for dozens of varieties which prefer it cooler and drier. Ellendale mandarins and Valencia oranges also go well in my climate. I knew I should not grow minneola tangelo, navel oranges and imperial mandarins and they had poor fruit so I chopped them down.
Honey murcott here is sold as honey and and murcott as well as their full title.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 02:08:25 AM »
My honey murcott fruits prolifically and fruits in the tropics get expressed closer to the orange than the mandarin side of the family.They are great for juice.I grow emperor and hickson mandarins as well and they go well.18 or 19 latitude seems to be the limit for dozens of varieties which prefer it cooler and drier. Ellendale mandarins and Valencia oranges also go well in my climate. I knew I should not grow minneola tangelo, navel oranges and imperial mandarins and they had poor fruit so I chopped them down.
Honey murcott here is sold as honey and and murcott as well as their full title.

Minneola tangelo and Washington navel do very well here at 19N, but your climate is a lot hotter.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk