Author Topic: Oro Negro growth rate?  (Read 3581 times)

alexO

• View Profile
Oro Negro growth rate?
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:37:15 AM »
To all of you out there growing Oro Negro trees, how vigorous are they? I have had one in the ground for around two years now and it is only four and a half feet tall yet looks very bushy and healthy. On the other hand I have a Brogdon that is much younger that grows like a weed. Is my Oro Negro a dud?

Thanks,

Alex

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
Re: Oro Negro growth rate?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:47:48 AM »
My oro negro has been in the ground for about 5 years and is about 5 feet tall.   :o  And like you mentioned, mines is growing horizontally very nice.  No flowering yet though.
Adiel

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:01:02 AM »
I have one that has been in-ground since early July (of this past year).  It is also quite bushy and lush, but hasn't grown much taller...I planted a brogdon around the same time, and it didn't do much until this month...now it is flushing some new growth/side branches.

I haven't had it long, but if it stays short and bushy, that's ideal for me---less pruning required. ;D

I'm sure Carlos and others have more experience and years in-ground. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:55:48 AM »
Mine is a very slow grower..
Zone 10

alexO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:22:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I sure am glad I asked before I ripped it out!

Alex

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 12:50:56 PM »
My oro negro is a slow grower. It's growing more horizontally than vertically too. Looks like it has a dwarf growth habit.
Alexi

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 12:58:15 PM »
Carlos has written that Oro Negro is basically a black Monroe.  Does the Monroe avocado grow more laterally as well?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

yonip69

• San Diego, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 01:26:26 PM »
I got my oro negro July 2012 from TT, I noticed it's a slow grower. It's 4" tall growing more horizontally than vertically too and first year that it flowers. Looks like it has a dwarf growth habit good for pot.

Gene

yonip69

• San Diego, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 01:28:15 PM »
Correction It's 4feet tall
Gene

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 05:06:39 PM »
My Oro Negro tree was planted about 4-5 years ago as a very small 1 gallon size tree with the rubberband still holding the graft together. I pruned about 4 feet off of it last fall. It's now about 15-20 feet tall and has a full somewhat bushy shape. Given everyone elses experinces I guess O/N likes my yard's conditions because it grows like a weed over here...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:10:02 PM by SWRancher »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
ON likes to grow. Once its gets past the juvenile stage it will get big fast.  Is not a small tree.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

alexO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 08:08:29 PM »
SWrancher and CTMIAMI,

thats exactly what I didn't want to hear. Why do you think mine is small and healthy looking yet not growing?

Alex

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 08:54:06 PM »
SWrancher and CTMIAMI,

thats exactly what I didn't want to hear. Why do you think mine is small and healthy looking yet not growing?

Alex

Maybe it just has not hit its stride yet.

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 12:41:24 PM »
Mine has shown a lot of vigor. I am not sure exactly how old it is, but I got it from Pine Island the first year they offered it. I am thinking around 10 years or less. Below is a picture of the trunk (over 6" across). Note I recently cut a large branch off the bottom to make more room for my lychee tree.

My tree hasn't held a lot of fruit for its size. The season before was more fruitful and flavorful, however, this season was longer with the last one on the counter now.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:43:59 PM by FLnative »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
Mine has shown a lot of vigor. I am not sure exactly how old it is, but I got it from Pine Island the first year they offered it. I am thinking around 10 years or less. Below is a picture of the trunk (over 6" across). Note I recently cut a large branch off the bottom to make more room for my lychee tree.

My tree hasn't held a lot of fruit for its size. The season before was more fruitful and flavorful, however, this season was longer with the last one on the counter now.

By looking at the shape of the trunk and the lower part of the main branches, it looks like it was growing low and wide like mine is doing now before yours began to shoot-up. This shows what Carlos was explaining. It seems that they like to settle and root-out before growing vigorously. My Brogdon just shot skyward after being in the ground for a couple of months. Unfortunately, it paid a price and snapped below the graft during the last tropical storm we've had. That's why I prefer for the tree to gain strength before growing skyward.
Alexi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk