Author Topic: I have arrived  (Read 4093 times)

North_Tree_Man

• Downingtown, PA - 6b
    • View Profile
I have arrived
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:14:29 AM »
Hello everyone! Lycheeluva clued me into the site, so I finally made it over here to sign up and post some 2012 pics. I'll start things off with the Kohala longan. This is the first year it has flowered/fruited...I was quite surprised...and yes, that is the ceiling it is pushing against with a recessed light can in the background. I never got around to "pugging" it yet:

Next up is the Emperor. Just a small cluster this year:

The sweetheart seems to have come into it's own, and is finally mature enough to put out a large number of panicles:

My Pickering mango was flowering profusely, but none of the fruit stuck, so no pictures. Oh, I do have some fruiting citrus..of some kind. I got a 3-in-1 plant from one of the mail order nurseries. so it could be an orange, tangerine, or lemon...with my luck, it'll be the lemon. I'll see about taking some pics of it later.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
Re: I have arrived
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 06:50:42 AM »
Welecome Jeremy- great pics as ever-
loads of qs.

what are your two other lychee varieties and what are their status?
how long have you had your sweetheart and pickering
what was the largest the pickering fruit got before they fell off?
do you have any other mangoes?
do you do any manual pollinations of your lychees- if so, how do you do it
do you use any grow lights?
thats amazing that it seems you will get a few emperor fruit out of what seems just a handful of flowers

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:51:02 AM »
Welcome NTM, it is great to see you and your wonderful lychee trees and others doing so well.

-Ethan

North_Tree_Man

• Downingtown, PA - 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:22:08 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome Ethan (and Gerry) It's good to see that everyone has moved to a more user friendly spot.

Gerry, to answer your Qs:
- I also have a Brewster and hak ip that are just growing like weeds...not flowering though. I just re-potted the brewster into a keg tub with no holes in the bottom, and it is loving the constant supply of water...did the same with the emperor, but being a mountain lychee (vs a water lychee like brewster) it looks to be having a slightly harder time coping.

- I bought the sweetheart in 2007, and the pickering in 2010...that pickering flowers like a champ, but it's too small to let fruit set, I think.

- it was a tiny little BB fruit...I actually think one of the ferrets knocked the panicle off the the tree...#@!%$ miscreants! I saw today that another tiny mango has started on another panicle...we'll see what happens.

- I have a Mallika, and Nam Doc Mai...they are both getting very large trunks now, but at the moment, are just spider mite fodder. The mangoes tend to flower when I put them out in March/April, which is ideal.

- Yep...lychees must be hand pollinated when inside. You just use a tiny 10/0 natural brush and dust the pollen onto the pistil. I was actually able to cross pollinate this year between the emperor and sweetheart. I'm still amazed that sweethearts put out females then M2 males, then more females...opposite of emperors. They timed it nicely though.

- The lights I use are just regular 100w CFLs in the light  fixture...high color temp is necessary ~5700K or better. This is clearly not enough though; because, the leaves get huge (a sign of not enough light) and they get a ton of sunburn on the leaves when they go out.

- I wasn't expecting anything from the emperor this year, since I re-potted it, but it did shoot out some panicles after all.

Anything happening with your Mauritius?

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:30:47 PM »
Welcome Jeremy.  Let us know how the sweetheart lychees taste.   :)

Adiel
Adiel

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:20:28 PM »
found your reply NTM- TX.
nothing much happening with my 2 mauritius/ the larger one put out a very small number of blooms and i may get 1-2 fruit. the smaller one is going thru a leaf push right now. surprised to hear that brewster can tolerate a non draining container

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »
Amazing trees you got there :). Where you from?

North_Tree_Man

• Downingtown, PA - 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »
@ Samuel - Thanks for the compliment. I live in SE Pennsylvania...finally changed the city/zone from the "location" to "custom title" box...go figure.

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »
Looks like I'm still the farest north growing mangoes ;)