Author Topic: Rootstock Question  (Read 7947 times)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
Rootstock Question
« on: August 12, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »
In the yard of my new house (which is actually an old house) is a large Poncirus trifoliata - Trifoliate Orange. Around it and off in the woods beside it are many many seedlings. I basically have to mow them with a mower to clean up around the tree. I also grow various citrus in containers and I'm interested in learning how to graft some of my favorite varieties. I often see people refer to 'Flying Dragon' as a root stock. My tree is not the contorted version ('Flying Dragon'). Is there some reason people prefer the contorted form over the straight stemmed form? Is 'Flying Dragon' more dwarfing? I know plenty of people with the contorted form around here but I am looking at all these seedlings and wondering if they have any value.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:54:29 PM by Millet »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Rootstock Question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 04:14:46 PM »
My understanding is that the contortion that represents the Flying Dragon cultivar is dwarfing while the non-contorted types of Trifoliate Orange are not dwarfing.  They must be polyembryonic so the majority of FD seedlings should be true FD clones.  It wouldn't make sense that none of your seedlings are contorted if the parent is true FD.  So, my guess is you have a non-FD type of Trifoliate Orange parent that is non-dwarfing.  I'm sure it is still a fine rootstock, though, but maybe not in as much demand as true FD.

I just learned about this recently and am trying grafting for the first time so I could be wrong.  I just googled "citrus t-budding" and found multiple guides.  Supposedly its >90% successful if you are good at it.  I tried once and failed badly, cutting the rootstock branch nearly in half  :-\

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 09:49:53 PM »
brian, is correct (as he usually always is).   Flying Dragon (FD) the contorted growing variety of Trifoliate Orange is the variety commonly used as a root stock to produce dwarf citrus trees.  I have both a Clementine and a Cara Cara Pink Navel Orange that are grafted on FD root stock.  They are now mature grown trees, and both are only 9-ft. tall, thus fit nicely inside the greenhouse.  Flying Dragon when grown out as a tree, instead of being used as a rootstock, generally grow to 7 feet tall after 20 years. Rubidoux and Rich 16-6 are straight growing trifoliate orange varieties that are sometimes used as root stocks, and produce trees about the same size as trees grown on Carrizo (which are big trees).  In field trials Rubidoux and Rich 16-6  grew from 53 to 151% of the size of normal full size citrus trees.  Over all eight trials, the average tree size was 91% of that of most full size citrus trees. - Millet
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:03:41 PM by Millet »

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »
The Rich 16-6 is slower growing than the Rubidoux, several Louisiana growers are going to Rich16-6 and Flying dragon for orchard trees.  As most of the citranges get older they tend to bench and decline, plus on Flying dragon they plant more trees to the acre and do not have to harvest fruit of of a ladder. One grower I personally know had a worker fall of a ladder a couple years ago so he is going with the smaller trees.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:20:36 PM by Millet »

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:33:18 PM »
Well I have no idea which variety of Poncirus the big tree is. My guess would be that it is around 50 years old or more. It is planted in a row with a Camellia which the local camellia folks gasp when they see it and say it must be over 50. Plenty of Flying Dragon in other people's yards so getting some seeds won't be a problem but I will probably use the "wild" seedlings off of my tree to practice on. Most of what I grow will be kept in containers so I doubt they will ever reach maximum size - I was just wondering if all the references to FD really meant FD or if some people refer to all Poncirus trifoliata trees as FD.

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 03:01:11 PM »
What would be the final size container for a dwarf size citrus tree? how about a 24"x 14" high container?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 09:55:46 PM »
luak, a 24" x 14 should be a nice container for a tree growing on Flying Dragon.  Luak, you can do me a favor.  Will you send me an E-mail when he trees around Eureka Springs start turning color.  Thanks (Millet@netecin.net

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 11:14:19 AM »
Millet will do, as of right now my tree's from Harris and Walmart are on their second flush,even with the wrong soilless concoction. Will redo them in Februari.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 09:20:40 PM »
What type of root stocks are being utilized specifically for cold hardiness? Nothing came up on a search of this site. Thanks in advance.
Life is good

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 10:32:28 PM »
Flying dragon is a much  used rootstock both for dwarfing and cold  hardiness.- Millet 

Nispero

• Santo Domingo, Zone 13B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 10:21:01 PM »
What rootstocks are used for Citrus in the tropics / ultratropics?

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 06:21:50 AM »
how hardy is volkamer lemon as rootstock? My star ruby is grafted onto volkamer. Can it survive without defoliating -2 which has lasted for at least 10 hours ? 

Plantcrazy2230

• USA Michigan/southern Mason Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 02:05:21 PM »
Which root stock is better for bud grafting, whip, cleft etc.  Trifoliate or Flying Dragon? Can you graft any Citrus variety  to these root stock?  would like to learn to do some grafting.

Plantcrazy2230

• USA Michigan/southern Mason Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 02:32:16 PM »
Rubidoux  trifoliate rootstock.   good for containers?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 04:03:02 PM »
Of the trifoliates for containers, I like Flying Dragon the best. - Millet
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:53:20 PM by Millet »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 08:33:22 PM »
Does FD reduce the life of the tree at all? Just wondering. I'd grow it just to have the nice curvy branches and thorns.
It'd be interesting to have it grow several branches spreading out before grafting them to different varieties.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 09:04:20 PM »
fyliu,  I don't graft citrus varieties onto branches of Flying Dragon (FD).  I use FD as the root stock.  It is a naturally dwarfing rootstock therefore it is a natural for container trees. Currently I must have perhaps 20 different containerized citrus trees grafted upon FD, all doing well. Plus a 11 year old  in ground Cara Cara Orange growing on FD.  The tree is 10-ft. tall and 10-ft. wide.  Great for picking fruit and tree maintenance. An added benefit is the extra cold hardness the root stock gives to a scion that is grafted unon it. - Millet

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 08:41:17 PM »
Flying Dragon start growth later than the standard trifoliata. I have a
Rubidoux in my back yard that is almost in full bloom. The FD is just not starting to show signs of bud break.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 09:40:38 AM »
Are there differences between normal Poncirus and FD as root stock....i mean do they give different cold-resistant to the grafted plant ?

Chas

• Hungary, Zala, 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 12:32:07 AM »
Are there differences between normal Poncirus and FD as root stock....i mean do they give different cold-resistant to the grafted plant ?

As far as I know FD gives more cold protection due to longer dormancy period than PT and of course having a less active growing period increase the dwarfing effect.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk