Author Topic: Need suggestions for new trees :)  (Read 3930 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Need suggestions for new trees :)
« on: February 23, 2017, 05:29:55 PM »
Hey all, I am looking to add some more fruiting trees to my collection. I'm in zone 6b, but the greenhouse remains above 60 F year round, maxing out at 90 degrees. Max height of the greenhouse is 13 ft. Humidity doesn't get too high. I have a misting system, but it doesn't work how I'd like it to.:/
I'd love to try out some Myrciaria, syzygium, mangoes, caimito, tamarind, Eugenias, maybe even jackfruit (a bit out there, but why not try.). Trees for container culture would be preferred but aren't necessary. Other oddball small fruits are great as well.

Here's what already does well for me:
Ice cream bean- under 1 year from seed, already over 6 ft.
Pitangatuba: started out as a slow grower, but took off after a year.
monstera, Passiflora, soncoya, cherimoya, strawberry guava, soursop, blue lilly pilly- < 1 year- already almost 5ft, pomegranate- never fruited but thrives, imbe- fastest of my garcinias- surprisingly fast growers 7+ in even though they are under 5 months from seed, sundrops- very fast for me, blue java banana, achachairu, acerola.

What grows slow/Not so hotso:
Dragon fruit- just sits there/barely grows in winter, Kwai muk, Rollinia (needs more humidity), sugar apple, abiu (needs more humidity), red jabo is struggling but its probably a soil issue.
Thanks for you feedback!

Anisha

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Need suggestions for new trees :)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:46:57 PM »
How big is your greenhouse? Would love to see pics.

I think pomegranates need some chill and if it's always above 60 degrees they may not fruit.

Sapodilla & Carambola as supposed to be good for container fruiting.

kar1ma3

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 10:06:20 PM »
Pickering, Providence, NDM#4 Mango, all Jabos, Black Sapote, Cinnamon, Diamond River Longan, Emperor Lychee (needs chill hours), Katuk, Sugar Cane, Silas Wood, Makok Sapodillas, Triumph Persimmon, Tr Hovey, Red Lady Papaya, Meiwa Kumquat, Persian, Key Lime, Lemon Guava, Hart Carambola, Pitomba, Uvaia, Eugenia Calycina, Pitangatuba, Wampee
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:10:54 PM by kar1ma3 »

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:25:55 AM »
How big is your greenhouse? Would love to see pics.

I think pomegranates need some chill and if it's always above 60 degrees they may not fruit.

Sapodilla & Carambola as supposed to be good for container fruiting.
Forumfool: Thanks for your feedback! The dimensions are funky, its rectangular with a slanted roof. Roof slants for 10-13ft. L=12 ft, W= 14 ft. I can take some photos and post them tomorrow. Didn't know sapodilla was suitable for container culture. Carambola is on my list. What varieties would you recommend?
Anisha

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 01:19:12 AM »
Would be neat to see the pics. I saw a youtube video of a guy in Canada who had Sapodilla in his greenhouse and it had lots of fruit in it; container grown.

As to which kind of Sapodilla? There have been a couple threads on them you could check out and PIN has a nice chart on them:
http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/sapodilla/index.htm

Carambola I would leave it to the FL experts to recommend as they have all the good varieites there. Another neat chart: http://growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/carambolavarieties.htm

I said those types also because they are prolific and the goal is a lot of fruit right?

Citrus, Guava, & Fig are very prolific in containers as well.

Our forum avatars are very similar :)  Looking forward to your greenhouse pics and am curious as to what fruits best for you in your greenhouse...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 07:57:39 AM »
Would be neat to see the pics. I saw a youtube video of a guy in Canada who had Sapodilla in his greenhouse and it had lots of fruit in it; container grown.

As to which kind of Sapodilla? There have been a couple threads on them you could check out and PIN has a nice chart on them:
http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/sapodilla/index.htm

Carambola I would leave it to the FL experts to recommend as they have all the good varieites there. Another neat chart: http://growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/carambolavarieties.htm

I said those types also because they are prolific and the goal is a lot of fruit right?

Citrus, Guava, & Fig are very prolific in containers as well.

Our forum avatars are very similar :)  Looking forward to your greenhouse pics and am curious as to what fruits best for you in your greenhouse...

Unfortunately, or fortunately as I have tasted some that when spaeking of carambola would not be worth growing, the majority of those carambola are not readily available.

Best tasting of what are readily available are Bell, Kari SK and Hart.  Hart is the most compact in terms of growth habit.  SK serms to be somewhat inconsistent in terms of productivity.

I am not a fan of PIN's viewer pages.  They are more of a sales marketing ploy than anything.
- Rob

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 12:49:42 PM »
Iv'e been in the hobby for a couple of years now. I am still just a kid, so the greenhouse is also a family sunroom. ::) I'm currently commute to college. And I am studying Advanced Medical Imaging so I can soon start making "real money" to put towards my dream greenhouse. :D It'll be a while, but I'll make it happen soon enough.
Many of my plants are dormant rn/ are just starting to flush. So here are some pics from last year as well as this year. :) Only have gotten a few of my plants to fruit so far, since I am relatively new to the hobby, and most of my plants are from seed. Bout to triple post ya'll

fiberless soursop seedling

Old pic of ice cream bean

Annona reticulata

Seedling pomegranate old pic
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:05:56 PM by sildanani »
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »

Achachairu

Acerola

Soncoya

Imbe from some months ago- I have 7 seedlings total to assure I'll have male + female trees

Racemosa coffee

Sundrops (Eugenia Victoriana) taken a couple months ago

Curry tree

icecream bean now

Purple passionfruit
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:09:50 PM by sildanani »
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »

Lemon drop mangosteen (G. intermedia)

Langsat

Lakoocha

Blue Java banana

Greenhouse side view

greenhouse front view

Pitangatuba
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:12:08 PM by sildanani »
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 01:18:57 PM »
Unfortunately, or fortunately as I have tasted some that when spaeking of carambola would not be worth growing, the majority of those carambola are not readily available.

Best tasting of what are readily available are Bell, Kari SK and Hart.  Hart is the most compact in terms of growth habit.  SK serms to be somewhat inconsistent in terms of productivity.

I am not a fan of PIN's viewer pages.  They are more of a sales marketing ploy than anything.
[/quote]
Rob, that's why we have people like you to get feedback from! lol I get it, viewers like to make every varieties sound appealing, even though some are clearly better than others. I prefer to go by word of mouth when it comes to nurseries, rather than going by descriptions.
[/quote]
Forumfool: Haha, they are similar! Finally got to posting some photos today. School has been so busy lately!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:23:15 PM by sildanani »
Anisha

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 03:48:56 PM »
Why not grow some dwarf like mangos
Pickering, Cogshall, Honey Kiss

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 07:27:29 PM »
Skan- I was looking to get a mango cultivar or two. Would they do well in fabric pots? I kind of want to try fabric pots. Any mail order-type sites that can ship to me that you think are good?
Anisha

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 07:51:09 PM »
Skan- I was looking to get a mango cultivar or two. Would they do well in fabric pots? I kind of want to try fabric pots. Any mail order-type sites that can ship to me that you think are good?

I'm going to try some in fabric pots too. Make sure you get raise the bottoms so they have a chance to get air prunned.
I'm in mango country so unfortunately I cant help with the mail order stuff.
I could possibly graft a small seedling and send it to you this summer though.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 08:24:11 PM »

I'm going to try some in fabric pots too. Make sure you get raise the bottoms so they have a chance to get air prunned.
I'm in mango country so unfortunately I cant help with the mail order stuff.
I could possibly graft a small seedling and send it to you this summer though.
Thanks skhan, I'll remember your offer. I will experiment with a few fabric pot brands that have been discussed on TFF. I've still got time to figure out what I plan to do. I'm looking at Malika, Nam Doc Mai, and Pickering.
Anisha

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 09:57:45 PM »
Besides passiflora and pomegranates which you have also had successes with, I've had very good success with Natal Plums (Carissa macrocarpa) here in zone 5.  They've grown almost a foot in a year from seed and seem to take full sun to partial shade and varying soil moisture levels in stride.  They also have an interesting growing habit/structure which is a nice bonus for someone who lives in a northern zone and is going to have to wait a while for fruit.