Author Topic: Bergamot is a worth to try tree?  (Read 3013 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Bergamot is a worth to try tree?
« on: November 24, 2017, 02:59:11 PM »
Do you think bergamot is a worth to try tree?   ;D

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Bergamot is a worth to try tree?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 05:50:12 PM »
Their all worth trying, but Bergamot would not be high on my list.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 06:07:01 PM »
Their all worth trying, but Bergamot would not be high on my list.
I saw that juice can controle high colesterol...

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 03:52:08 AM »
But you should not take it with certain cholesterol lowering  drugs.
Like grapefruit it is high in furanocoumarins and naringin interacting with  metabolism of basic statins.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 04:34:13 AM »
But you should not take it with certain cholesterol lowering  drugs.
Like grapefruit it is high in furanocoumarins and naringin interacting with  metabolism of basic statins.
I don't make any medication. I try to controle only by what i eat but it's not easy. One thing that result very well with me is the vegetable achocha but it's perenial...

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »
I have an in ground Marsh Seedless grapefruit tree, and my wife and I have grapefruit each morning with breakfast.  I talked to my doctor and he subscribed Rosuvastatin as a statin cholesterol drug that is not affected by grapefruit.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 03:08:24 PM »
I have an in ground Marsh Seedless grapefruit tree, and my wife and I have grapefruit each morning with breakfast.  I talked to my doctor and he subscribed Rosuvastatin as a statin cholesterol drug that is not affected by grapefruit.
Hello my friend, do you know if grapefruit is effective on colesterol lowering? Thank's!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »
Luisport.  Type the two words Grapefruit cholesterol into your browser and several web sites will come up showing that grapefruit does loser cholesterol.

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 08:55:43 PM »
I’m taking rosuvastatin for cholesterol. I’m glad to know it’s ok with grapefruit. It’s generic for Crestor and it’s the smallest pill I’ve ever seen ! Tom

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 09:51:36 AM »
Luisport.  Type the two words Grapefruit cholesterol into your browser and several web sites will come up showing that grapefruit does loser cholesterol.
Thank's! Just one more question, all the grapefruit varieties do it the same way or there are better varieties to lower colesterol?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 11:35:54 AM »
Medicine is the quickest method, and probably the best method..  All grapefruit can somewhat lower cholesterol, but red does the best. 

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »
Medicine is the quickest method, and probably the best method..  All grapefruit can somewhat lower cholesterol, but red does the best.
Thank's a lot!  ;)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 09:32:01 PM »
Bergamot is much higher in furanocoumarins than grapefruit.

According to this site, which discusses the safety of diluting citrus essential oils in carrier oil for application on skin, it's considered safe to use 24 drops of grapefruit oil in 30ml of carrier oil, for lemon it's 12 drops, for lime 4 drops, and for (cold-pressed) bergamot essential oil only 1 drop is safe.
https://moonhaven.com.au/blogs/n/essential-oil-safety-rule-3-never-apply-photosensitising-oils-before-going-out-into-the-sun

The only citrus that has a higher furanocoumourin level than bergamot is C. micrantha (the ancestor of limes), with a level over 4 times higher, off the charts!

I'd plant bergamot as an ornamental. The fruits are extremely fragrant, and the blossoms from the tree are known as neroli and used in high end perfume.

You know the characteristic aroma of Earl Grey tea? That comes from a tiny bit of bergamot oil that's added to the tea leaves.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:45:08 PM by SoCal2warm »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 06:58:50 AM »
Bergamot is much higher in furanocoumarins than grapefruit.

According to this site, which discusses the safety of diluting citrus essential oils in carrier oil for application on skin, it's considered safe to use 24 drops of grapefruit oil in 30ml of carrier oil, for lemon it's 12 drops, for lime 4 drops, and for (cold-pressed) bergamot essential oil only 1 drop is safe.
https://moonhaven.com.au/blogs/n/essential-oil-safety-rule-3-never-apply-photosensitising-oils-before-going-out-into-the-sun

The only citrus that has a higher furanocoumourin level than bergamot is C. micrantha (the ancestor of limes), with a level over 4 times higher, off the charts!

I'd plant bergamot as an ornamental. The fruits are extremely fragrant, and the blossoms from the tree are known as neroli and used in high end perfume.

You know the characteristic aroma of Earl Grey tea? That comes from a tiny bit of bergamot oil that's added to the tea leaves.
Hi! Thank's a lot for your post. It's very interesting. And regarding bergamot juice? What's the best variety? It's too acid or it can be deluted with other juices or sweeted? Thank's!

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »
Eating more than a small amount may not be a good thing, might lead to skin sensitivity if you're out in the sun. The fruits are pretty bitter anyway so I don't think you'd want to eat more than a small amount.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »
Eating more than a small amount may not be a good thing, might lead to skin sensitivity if you're out in the sun. The fruits are pretty bitter anyway so I don't think you'd want to eat more than a small amount.
Ok, i use at least half of a lemon everyday on my fruit and vegetable juice, so i imagine i can do it with 1/4 of a bergamot too. And now i'm very curious with it. I love earl gray so i can use bergamot i a lot of other things!  ;D