Author Topic: A hope about some "special" guabiju (myrcianthes pungens)  (Read 2427 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
A hope about some "special" guabiju (myrcianthes pungens)
« on: October 06, 2013, 06:53:31 PM »
I have 5 guaviyús , one is 3 meters tall and is 6 or 7 years old , It never even gave flowers , I planted it the last year; and I have another 4 guaviyús in pots , 4 years old, approx .

Of the pots , I gave away 2 to the family and one was planted in the food forest we are doing with a friend. The other remains in my garden, into a nice pot.

All of them sprouted this spring , and even one that I have in a pot in my garden continued sprouting here in the fall and part of winter.

But, what I want to tell you, that surprised me a lot, is that the one who gave my mother dobre (the mother of my wife) rebounded with leaves that double the size of the other guaviyús , and already has 2 buds , while no other one has buds! In fact it's very rare because this guaviyú does not receive a lot of sun...

I have the hope that the large leaves are large fruit symptom , since I do not know for sure the size of the fruits of all these guaviyús .

Last summer I tried a few fruits I brought from Buenos Aires , from another big tree (8 metters tall?) in front of a square, and they were very nice, but tiny.

Cheers

Photos:

http://www.huertasurbanas.com/2013/10/06/guaviyu-de-hojas-grandes-primeros-pompollos/

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: A hope about some "special" guabiju (myrcianthes pungens)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 07:04:38 PM »
I have a couple of small ones in pots and are hesitating about planting them out due to the size of the trees.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »
I have a couple of small ones in pots and are hesitating about planting them out due to the size of the trees.

Well, these are not big trees,

"Es un árbol de mediano porte, hasta 10 m de altura, con una copa no muy compacta, con mucho ramaje pedicelado y pubescente. "

Just 10 metters tall, even less, and you can allways prune it, cheers

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 01:48:01 AM »
I have 5 guaviyús , one is 3 meters tall and is 6 or 7 years old , It never even gave flowers , I planted it the last year; and I have another 4 guaviyús in pots , 4 years old, approx .

Of the pots , I gave away 2 to the family and one was planted in the food forest we are doing with a friend. The other remains in my garden, into a nice pot.

All of them sprouted this spring , and even one that I have in a pot in my garden continued sprouting here in the fall and part of winter.

But, what I want to tell you, that surprised me a lot, is that the one who gave my mother dobre (the mother of my wife) rebounded with leaves that double the size of the other guaviyús , and already has 2 buds , while no other one has buds! In fact it's very rare because this guaviyú does not receive a lot of sun...

I have the hope that the large leaves are large fruit symptom , since I do not know for sure the size of the fruits of all these guaviyús .

Last summer I tried a few fruits I brought from Buenos Aires , from another big tree (8 metters tall?) in front of a square, and they were very nice, but tiny.

Cheers

Photos:

http://www.huertasurbanas.com/2013/10/06/guaviyu-de-hojas-grandes-primeros-pompollos/

Optimist: Large leaves could mean larger fruits.
Pessimist: Trees in lots of shade also usually produce larger leaves.
Oscar

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 11:29:50 AM »

haha, yes, I know that, but it's strange to me that the tree has flower buds in these conditions

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »

haha, yes, I know that, but it's strange to me that the tree has flower buds in these conditions
Why is it strange that it has buds? Aren't you heading intro spring (primavera)?
Oscar

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 06:47:47 PM »

Why is it strange that it has buds? Aren't you heading intro spring (primavera)?

Yes, but that poted guabiju maybe has only 2 or 3 ours of direct sun; then in summer it will receibe maybe 5 hours or so;

By the way: I am so fool, I went to see my planted guabiju in the garden today (3 m tall), and it is full of flower buds! I didnt noticed them till today, so I hope it will have some fruit in january :)

http://www.huertasurbanas.com/2013/10/07/guaviyu-plantado-en-jardin-primeros-pimpollos/