Author Topic: What kind of pineapple is this?  (Read 3509 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
What kind of pineapple is this?
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:26:30 AM »
Anyone know what variety of pineapple this could be? I got it from Home Depotand it did not have a variety name on it. Most the longer outer leaves are thornless but some of the inner leaves are serrated.

Simon

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of pineapple is this?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »
It's so hard to tell.  If I had to make a wild guess, it's probably one of the Agristarts varieties, since they are widely available.  Maybe Smooth Cayenne.  My SC's from Agristarts were not so "Smooth" and had a good amount of spines, but the leaves were all green like yours.

If it had a nursery tag, I'd call them up.  The garden center manager at Home Depot could probably also tell you what nursery your plants came from.

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 02:57:38 PM »
It's most likely an MD-2 Pineapple similar to the del Monte pineapple you can buy at a store
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »
Sounds like the store bought pineapple I've been growing. A few thorns around the tips, pretty smooth along most of the leaves, then a few thorns towards the base of leaves after they elongate.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 07:07:39 PM »
There was a plant tag on the original pot and I scanned the code but it only gave me the genus and species name. From what I e read about pineapples so far, there's a good probability it's either Smooth Cayane or MD2 as you guys suggested. The eyes are just starting to Yellow a bit but I'm going to let this fruit turn completely yellow before harvesting. Thanks for everyone's input!

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 06:16:30 PM »
I Picked the pineapple yesterday because it was almost completely yellow and I was afraid some critters were going to eat it. It weighed in at just under 3 lbs. when I picked it, it had a faint smell of sweet pineapple. I've been at work all day today and I'll probably cut it open tonight as it isn't supposed to get any sweeter after you remove it from the plant. I was hoping to let it ripen some more but if I can smell the sweetness, I'm sure the animals can as well. I find growing Pineapples to be extremely rewarding.

I'll update with a taste and Brix report after I cut it open.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 08:16:06 PM »
I Picked the pineapple yesterday because it was almost completely yellow and I was afraid some critters were going to eat it. It weighed in at just under 3 lbs. when I picked it, it had a faint smell of sweet pineapple. I've been at work all day today and I'll probably cut it open tonight as it isn't supposed to get any sweeter after you remove it from the plant. I was hoping to let it ripen some more but if I can smell the sweetness, I'm sure the animals can as well. I find growing Pineapples to be extremely rewarding.

Simon

Thanks for keeping us updated. Looks to have turned out to be a great pineapple hope you enjoyed it :)

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 10:29:10 PM »
There was a plant tag on the original pot and I scanned the code but it only gave me the genus and species name. From what I e read about pineapples so far, there's a good probability it's either Smooth Cayane or MD2 as you guys suggested. The eyes are just starting to Yellow a bit but I'm going to let this fruit turn completely yellow before harvesting. Thanks for everyone's input!

Simon

Very nice looking pineapples you have pictured!! I too am in the same boat wondering if I have the same varieties as I got my tops from work one day (in the food industry) for sure came from South/Central American (either Costa Rica or Ecuador but not 100% sure). Guess I'll just call them Tropical Golds lol. I have white jade, White sugarloaf, & Florida Red coming soon!

They stayed small because I left them in a small container even after inducing fruit/flower production.
Sergio

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 01:40:19 AM »
That's very nice! I've been trying to induce all mine to flower but no luck so far. They are the store bought kind (MD2?) and White Jade. I'm curious about the brix. My store bought top made a very sweet fruit.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »
My kids wanted Tangerines instead of pineapple last night so I didn't cut open the pineapple yet, probably tonight. I've heard that store bought pineapple tops produce sweet fruit but remember I bought this plant at Home Depot andvit already had a fruit developing on it. The plant is pretty small and many of its leaves are damaged so hopefully this fruit will be at least as sweet as a store bought fruit, of. Outer I'm hoping it will be much sweeter:)  I'll post an update when I cut it open.

Simon

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 09:13:33 AM »
That's very nice! I've been trying to induce all mine to flower but no luck so far. They are the store bought kind (MD2?) and White Jade. I'm curious about the brix. My store bought top made a very sweet fruit.

Have u tried leaving an apple core or banana peel for a few days directly on the center where the flower starts? Ethylene given off by rotting fruit starts the fruiting process.
Sergio

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 11:17:52 AM »

Simon

Nice job Simon.  I let them get that color and they incredible!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 11:44:42 AM »
Have u tried leaving an apple core or banana peel for a few days directly on the center where the flower starts? Ethylene given off by rotting fruit starts the fruiting process.
Thanks. I may try banana peel next. I've been using apple in the center.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 12:25:29 PM »
I normally  don't try and force my pineapple plants to fruit. But when I do need to force them I use Calcium Carbide just drop a few in the center and it will start to gas up
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:40:02 PM by Evildeadguy »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 12:36:28 PM »
I Picked the pineapple yesterday because it was almost completely yellow and I was afraid some critters were going to eat it. It weighed in at just under 3 lbs. when I picked it, it had a faint smell of sweet pineapple. I've been at work all day today and I'll probably cut it open tonight as it isn't supposed to get any sweeter after you remove it from the plant.
Simon

Don't believe this. I buy a semi-OK pineapple and let it sit inside at room temps for 5-7 days. They do sugar up!  Same with cherries from Washington State and (later season) California. My take is that many fruits will get sweeter despite what others claim. But it seems that in-transit refrigeration will kill  further ripening in any fruit.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:38:45 PM by zands »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 06:09:20 PM »
Hey Zands,

I used to buy pineapples and let them sit on the counter until they turned more yellow and started smelling fragrant but most the pineapples I purchase have a sign on it that says ready to eat. Someone posted this on another thread
http://ucanr.edu/datastoreFiles/234-2724.pdf
I still let my fruit sit on the counter for a day or two hoping it will get sweeter. They definitely get more yellow and smell more fragrant if you let them sit a bit.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
The ready to eat pineapple I once got from costco was really not. Really tart. I should have trusted my instinct to not buy unripe-looking fruit.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 10:00:34 PM »
I just cut open this fruit and I knew instantly it wasn't going to be sweet. The color was a very pale yellow, at first, I thought maybe it was a white pineapple, lol. The core was fibrous and not very sweet. The flavor was weak and the fruit was not very sweet with a Brix reading of only 13%. The plant was very small for the relatively large fruit. The flavor and sugar was washed out.

The fruit was pretty much fully formed when I purchased it from Home Depot and it slowly turned yellow in the last several weeks. Time to order more White Sugarloaf Pineapples.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 02:24:03 PM »
I just cut open this fruit and I knew instantly it wasn't going to be sweet. The color was a very pale yellow, at first, I thought maybe it was a white pineapple, lol. The core was fibrous and not very sweet. The flavor was weak and the fruit was not very sweet with a Brix reading of only 13%. The plant was very small for the relatively large fruit. The flavor and sugar was washed out.

The fruit was pretty much fully formed when I purchased it from Home Depot and it slowly turned yellow in the last several weeks. Time to order more White Sugarloaf Pineapples.

Simon

Thanks for sharing  i guess you wont be growing that pineapple again lol.... anyways i 2nd that on ordering more white sugarloaf pineapple