Author Topic: Baptiste Mango  (Read 2535 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Baptiste Mango
« on: March 19, 2013, 08:21:52 PM »
I saw a Baptista Mango being planted at ECHO this weekend.  Anybody have opinions of the Baptista Mango?  It appeared to have a Zills tag on it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:57:43 PM by murahilin »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Re: Baptista Mango
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »
Oops, apparently I mispelled it.  Found it on the internet.

http://www.virtualherbarium.org/TropicalFruit/mangotrees.html

'Baptiste' was selected in Haiti, where it is grown on a locally commercial scale. The fruit are oval, with a smooth, non-waxy skin, weighing from 8 to 16 oz. They are bright yellow to orange and are exceptionally firm, with surprisingly little fiber. The flesh is a deep orange, with a mild and sweet flavor. 'Baptiste' is popular in Haiti, and can be found in local markets, but it is mostly unknown outside of the island. The tree is ease to manage for size and has characteristically small leaves with a light green color. The tree and fruit are moderately susceptible to anthracnose infection. The firm flesh holds its shape upon cutting, which suits it well for fruit salads and for cooking.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Baptiste Mango
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:31:13 PM »
I ate some Baptiste last summer down in the Redlands at TREC and a few at the Mango Fest, its a good mango.  A couple of guys I met from Haiti while down at TREC say it can fruit almost year round down there.  One guy is working on his Masters at UF, and his research is on this variety.  Hopefully there will be some more at the Mango Fest again this year at Fairchild.