Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 939771 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2650 on: June 23, 2018, 08:21:39 PM »
Nice find.  Looks like the same thing.  To be honest I am not overly impressed with the flavor compared to a good red or purple but they are very sweet. Did you buy a plant?  Or already growing yellow megalanthus perhaps?

Not my picture or find.  I have put in an order with a friend for a couple plants.  Pomona, CA is a long way to nowhere for me.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: June 23, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »
Is Asunta 2 a slow grower for everyone else?

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: June 24, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
Seen in Pomona, California...

Are those from the Cal Poly Pomona nursery/farmers market? I know they have a part of their agriculture research campus dedicated to dragon fruit there.
Also, as a side note, those plants all look like thier are grown from seed, not cuttings. I wonder if they are self fertile or not.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:51:37 AM by RobPatterson »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: June 24, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
Seen in Pomona, California...

Are those from the Cal Poly Pomona nursery/farmers market? I know they have a part of their agriculture research campus dedicated to dragon fruit there.
Also, as a side note, those plants all look like thier are grown from seed, not cuttings. I wonder if they are self fertile or not.

Yes.

Yes, these are seedlings.

Different individuals have planted seeds from fruit purchased in the U.S. One of those individuals is a student at Cal Poly.

It will be interesting to see how well the plants grow, how large the fruit will be, and if self fertile, questions answered.

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: June 27, 2018, 08:00:31 PM »
I’m continplating buying some more dragon fruit cuttings like 3 years ago I planted purple haze and physical graffiti and they have flowered a bunch but only gave me fruit once. What do I need to do to get more fruit? I was thinking planting more varieties Maybe if I have American beauty, cosmic Charlie, Halley’s Comet, physical graffiti, and purple haze. I’ll have better luck fruiting?

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: June 27, 2018, 08:47:10 PM »
I’m continplating buying some more dragon fruit cuttings like 3 years ago I planted purple haze and physical graffiti and they have flowered a bunch but only gave me fruit once. What do I need to do to get more fruit? I was thinking planting more varieties Maybe if I have American beauty, cosmic Charlie, Halley’s Comet, physical graffiti, and purple haze. I’ll have better luck fruiting?

So being in Florida and you growing about 3 years, the wood didn't rot?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: June 27, 2018, 10:51:00 PM »
Does that stuff only work on particular type of ants?  I have at least 2 differwnt types of ants here.  The red/brown ones bite and sting real bad and chew up DF vines.  The black ones seem fairly harmless but they still farm aphids and piss me off bad.  I really just want to eradicate them in my greenhouse and around outdoor DF plants.
I have 2-3 types and the combo Extinguish with Bifenthrin works for all the ones I have

The ant poisons are working good in the greenhouse but still having a hard time killing them off around the DF plants outside.  The fire ants are all over my DF flower chewing them up.  Cant get rid of those bastards.
Brad Spaugh

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: June 27, 2018, 11:33:26 PM »
I'm having the same problem they're chewing up all the new growth

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: June 27, 2018, 11:48:34 PM »
Are yours red ants?  I guess so since I never see the black ones do it.  If you have the red biting ants or brown red the extinguish works.  I think I just need to put more around the outside pots.  Totally cleared up my greenhouse.  So happy about that.  The ants were farming aphids on my young trees and ruining them.  Anywhere you see a red ant hole sprinkle the extinguish on their hole.  And broadcast around your DF pots.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: June 28, 2018, 09:20:20 AM »
Bifenthrin or permethrin as a drench.  Both are low toxic, have little to no PHI and kick ass.

Amdro or Extinguish Plus for a bait are the best ant killers.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: June 28, 2018, 11:17:31 AM »

If the varieties are too closely related, they may need something different for proper pollination.  I believe most red varieties need another pollinator.  I am growing a white variety for this reason, although my generic LaVerne Pink is self-fruitful, I'm hoping to expand the varieties that I have in the future.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: June 28, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »
Bifenthrin or permethrin as a drench.  Both are low toxic, have little to no PHI and kick ass.

Amdro or Extinguish Plus for a bait are the best ant killers.

I put out some extinguish and did bifen circles around the DF planters and ants are iff the vines today.  My S8 flowers were getting chewed up by these ants. 
Brad Spaugh

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: June 28, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »

If the varieties are too closely related, they may need something different for proper pollination.  I believe most red varieties need another pollinator.  I am growing a white variety for this reason, although my generic LaVerne Pink is self-fruitful, I'm hoping to expand the varieties that I have in the future.

So I need to get white fleshed variety as a pollinater?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: June 28, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »
My red has many fruits. White has not flowered.
How are white variety going to help with cross pollination?

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: June 28, 2018, 03:26:42 PM »
I recommend sugar dragon it's a perfect pollinator

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: June 28, 2018, 03:52:09 PM »
Cool I’ll take your advice, Where could I get a sugar dragon cutting?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: June 28, 2018, 04:13:00 PM »
I probably have some S8 available.  Seems to be the most vigorous and fruitfull type also. 
Brad Spaugh

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: June 28, 2018, 06:46:53 PM »

YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/23lcqZlhukY

Grafting a piece of Giant Megalanthus Dragon Fruit from a piece of fruit bought in a store.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:34:30 PM by ricshaw »

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: June 28, 2018, 08:16:16 PM »
That demo looks good. Where do you buy DF with a tip like that?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: June 28, 2018, 08:21:59 PM »
That demo looks good. Where do you buy DF with a tip like that?

Whole Foods, Vallarta, Ranch 99, and other Asian grocery stores.

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: June 28, 2018, 11:25:03 PM »
Yea they are really vigorous growers and they give fruit really quick. Got these sugar Dragon cuttings 5 months ago

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: June 28, 2018, 11:36:20 PM »
Is delight self fertile? Some people say it is but some say it's not. I have some buds on mine just want to make sure. it's a fast grower I bought it February just under 2ft and now it giving out fruit

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: June 29, 2018, 01:20:25 AM »
Haven’t really looked much into this thread. I have about 8 different types growing. Was checking on them today when I saw ants farming aphids on the flowers. I couldn’t believe it - I thought they needed tender green growth.  I took a photo to post but then saw that others are having the same problem. Guess it’s not just me. Glad they’re not red ants though

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: June 29, 2018, 06:48:51 AM »
My red has many fruits. White has not flowered.
How are white variety going to help with cross pollination?
If you have a red fleshed variety and a white fleshed variety, they should have no problem pollinating each other, as long as they flower at the same time, Or at least close to each other. It’s pretty simple - if they’re not the same variety, the pollen will work.
Growing dragonfruit is pretty simple, if you have 2 different flowers at the same time, and you lend a hand to pollinate, you will get fruit.
If they don’t flower at the same time, you need to save pollen for when the other variety flowers. I have over 45 varieties and sometimes things don’t go right, no different pollen , and so I end up with no fruit!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 06:59:30 AM by Rannman »

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: June 29, 2018, 06:54:05 AM »
Is delight self fertile? Some people say it is but some say it's not. I have some buds on mine just want to make sure. it's a fast grower I bought it February just under 2ft and now it giving out fruit

I haven’t found Delight to be self fertile for me in Queensland,Australia. I try to cross pollinate every flower as it tends to guarantee fruit set and fruit size is substantially bigger as well.