Author Topic: How to germinate annona seeds?  (Read 1512 times)

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
How to germinate annona seeds?
« on: March 27, 2020, 06:06:11 PM »
Hello
Ive litterally tried everything to germinate some annona tomentosa and annona diversifolia seeds, even GA3 doesnt work on the annona seeds. Anyone know of a specific way to germinate them?
Where i bought the seeds:
Trade wind fruit
Seeds hunter shop
Fruit liberaty

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: How to germinate annona seeds?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 08:45:15 PM »
If you pay a fortune for somme seeds at least order them pre germinated next time.
Ive quit buying any anonaceae seeds because from like 6-7 orders each from different vendors mostly on Ebay,i got just one seed germinated( a cherimoya).
The frustrations comes from the time lost not the monney and one year and a half wait to get a single cherimoya seedling its a lot.
Like you,ive even bought GA3 pills and tryed various concentrations,studyed a lot of research documents.
Now i got 2 big potted plants and i almost finished my annonaceae adventure.
I would only try to grow again Uvaria Grandiflora .

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 09:05:22 PM »
I showed my method of how to germinated annona seeds in other post.  If you still have issue with them.  I have some germinated seeds available free for pickup.  Soursop, sugar apple and cherimoya (best rootstocks)

Sorry, no more local pickup.  Stay home order from LA city.

I think I will have some seedlings available for free after the restriction.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:36:47 PM by pinkturtle »

Fleep

• United States, Texas, Dallas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 11:05:00 PM »
I find heat mats to be finicky at times. I plan to germinate annona diversifolia late May or late June in my area. Optimum temperature based on local weather station data close to my family in El Salvador who owns annona diversifolia trees and can be found growing native there shows that the optimum temp for germination and growth for those trees to be around 75°f - 95°f. I would wait until summer temps reach as close as possible to that and try germinating in pots outdoors If you don’t have a greenhouse. If you have a greenhouse, I would attempt to germinate it there at this time if the temps are in that range. if you wait until summer though it may be easier to germinate those seeds since by that time period dormancy would be broken by some if not all your seeds.  Personally I have seen that soursop, cherimoya, and a related temperate species asimina triloba seeds germinate really really fast during that time. Plus air and soil temperatures are optimal for growth of most plants around this time. Cool spring and fall weather keeps plant growth slow especially tropicals like annona diversifolia or soursop unless you have some way to keep the roots warm. . Also using pliers to crack the seed open a little and leaving the seeds in water for a day or two definitely helps. So if you are already doing that, then great! 

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 08:36:58 PM »
You could try buying fresh seeds straight from the source on this forum instead of seed middlemen who had to buy the seed’s so they also have to sell them , despite the fact they may have been sitting around awhile.
Also the shortest distance/time shipped and the season shipped can make a difference. Best of luck on your next batch of seeds.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 09:30:49 PM »
     Germinating squamosa, reticulata, cherimoya, and soursop should be real easy. If you arent getting germination its probably bad seed. Heat mats work great, I use them, but you need a controller to keep temps down. Ive cooked some expensive seeds. Letting annona seedlings stay too wet is bad when they are young as it will cause rot. Using heat mats help keep them from rotting. Some of the more 'rare' annonas are rare because they are difficult to get and sometimes difficult to germinate. Some annonas from the Caatinga will probably never grow here so you just have to be prepared for failures and do your research. Ive had tomentosa seeds rot too(Im still looking for these myself). Maybe I cooked them on my heat mat?? Diversifolia is easy, you just have to wait 6 months. Diversifolia has a lower germination rate too. Try different sources. If your just interested in the fruit get a seedling and graft the diversifolia. Like I said though, be prepared to kill a lot of seeds in this hobby.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 09:49:49 PM »
I put the ilama seeds in a waterbottle with gibberelic acid, i think 300 ppm but you can google for the right recipe...i had 5 gram and dissolved it in a full 2 litre water bottle.

Then i put an airpump hose in the bottle and let it bubble for 100 hours nonstop....then they all germinated within a week or so kept in moist (not wet) tissue paper in a plastic bag at 30 celcius.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk