Author Topic: Gold Nugget  (Read 3780 times)

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
Gold Nugget
« on: May 23, 2017, 02:12:41 PM »
Wooooo hooooooo! Now available at my local store! Absolutely love these things! Easy to peel and great taste!

Gotta give it to the packaging also.. first time I saw these, I thought they were sick or deformed.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Nugget
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 03:44:50 PM »
They are sweet.  I have seen them in the store for the last couple weeks.  Don't have much acidic offset though.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 10:13:28 AM »
This is the first year where my Gold Nuggets (picked in March-April) were excellent in quality and my favorite citrus. Apparently, the tree needs some maturity for the fruit to be top notch. Previous years the fruit was mediocre in comparison.

Enclosed is a photo of my 6-year-old Gold Nugget on C-35 rootstock taken in April of 2017. This tree was worth the wait.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »
Nice looking tree.  Mandarins normally take 5 years or so before they start to produce higher quality fruit.  Each year from no your tree should show improvement.

DFWCitrus

• SOUTHLAKE, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 09:30:55 PM »
This is the first year where my Gold Nuggets (picked in March-April) were excellent in quality and my favorite citrus. Apparently, the tree needs some maturity for the fruit to be top notch. Previous years the fruit was mediocre in comparison.

Enclosed is a photo of my 6-year-old Gold Nugget on C-35 rootstock taken in April of 2017. This tree was worth the wait.

Beautiful tree and healthy. Nicely done!

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 12:37:42 PM »
great looking tree!! what a treat to have that in your back yard! I have one in a pot and one year it gave me like 4 fruit and i haven't seen any since.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:49 PM »
You don't say how old your Golden Nugget is, but one reason for not fruiting after the first crop is because Golden Nugget is an alternate bearing variety. 

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »
I've had my nugget in a pot for like 5 years... It doesn't seem to be doing as well in containers as some of my other varieties. I'm going to go with a bigger pot this weekend to see if that helps. It doesn't look too bad, but just not as healthy as others.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »
From my experience Citrus performs poorly, in the long term, in containers (even large wood boxes). The Citrus roots really like to spread out laterally and all containers prevent this. They can do OK for the first few years but they will never produce or look like in the ground plants.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 12:28:13 PM »
Citrus can live in a container for a long time.  However, Johnny is also correct.  The average life span of a container citrus tree is less than two years.  This short life span, of course can be largely do to the person growing the tree, and their knowledge of container production.

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 12:34:54 PM »
I've learned quite a bit from you because I've been in forums with you since Citrus Forum. I do many of the basics like keeping good aeration, fertilizing, flushing, etc. My Nugget and an all-spice are the only two trees struggling. I have Sanguinell blood orange, cara-cara, meyer and mexican lime that are all very healthy. They are all the same age. They obviously don't produce heavy, but they do produce and look very healthy.

Unfortunately i live in zone 8b and I was told by Laaz that in my climate, my nugget would never have enough time to fruit.

Could i put my cara cara or blood orange in the ground?

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
Where does that value of two years for average life span of citrus in containers come from?