Author Topic: Trade: Catalina Avocado seed  (Read 2306 times)

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
Trade: Catalina Avocado seed
« on: October 11, 2013, 04:02:05 PM »
I have one Catalina Avocado seed up for trade. 

Everything below is from 2 websites and not my personal experience although I do love them.  I would just rather not misrepresent myself

Choquette
'CATALINA' was introduced to Florida from Cuba. It is a very nice mid-season pear shaped fruit that is especially rich and creamy. It is an extremely popular variety here in South Florida in the Cuban community, but it enjoys a cult following with all that have had a chance to taste.
From the perspective of a Cuban-American, Catalina is the standard against all other avocados are compared to. It is indeed a good tasting, creamy avocado.
One thing worth mentioning is the if you can not consume the whole fruit, it can be stored in the refrigerator for 24 hours without significant deterioration of flavor, color or consistency. The flavor is a bit on the sweet side.
[/size]I have a mature tree at home. One of the peculiar things about Catalina is that the leaves are rounder than most avocado trees, so at at times it could give you the apprearance of an almond tree. It is a robust and fast growing trees. I planted this tree a year after a Simmonds and Monroe and the trunk is almost three times the diameter of the other two. To keep it in check I have to do serious pruning every year. The fruit matures in late summer in the 1.5 to 2 lb range. I use the seeds of the Catalina for seedlings due to the strength of the young trees..[/color]
[/size]I hear stories of Catalina trees having 1000 fruit and being very productive in Cuba. I suspect that 200 miles to the north, soil fertility and a few degrees less of temperature make the difference. The Catalina is not as productive in South Florida as it was in its place of origin. Still it is worth the time and effort to have a tree around.  I have my tree next to a Monroe, B flower, and it produces a decent amount of fruit every year.  Taking into concentration the heavy pruning  I do from keeping the tree from overtaking every thing else in my yard is not bad. Unlike other trees that pruning makes them not flower in the pruned areas, the Catalina blooms, profusely and it sets fruit in the pruned areas.[/color]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 04:06:28 PM by dongeorgio »
George

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: Trade: Catalina Avocado seed
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »
no longer available.  Thanks
George

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:32:43 AM »
Hi George

Did your Simmonds ripen Late this year?  Here in Sarasota my 4 fruit (small tree) were ready around Oct 1 and I just picked them two days ago.   

When does your Simmonds typically produce?  How about the Monroe?

Brad
Brad

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:03:07 AM »
Brad,

The only avocado trees I have are an Oro Negro (yet to produce fruit) and a Catalina that gave me a couple this year.  I wish I could comment about the others but I doubt I will be planting any other avocados.  I am more a mango/jackfruit man.

Thanks,
George
George

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »
Do they grow true to type?
Mike

Patrick

• Administrator