Author Topic: Update on my severely girdled sugar apple tree  (Read 547 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Update on my severely girdled sugar apple tree
« on: August 09, 2018, 09:45:59 PM »
A while back my lawn guy severely girdled a young sugar apple tree.  It had been severely neglected when I got it, thrown behind a storage shed at the Naples Botanical Garden and was supposed to be thrown out.  It was rescued by an employee and given to me along with a few other neglected trees.  I nursed them all back to health. 

This sugar apple just will NOT be killed I swear.  I originally put some grafts over the girdled area, but then had a better idea.  Since the tree wasn't grafted, I decided to coat the girdled area with rooting powder, then raise the dirt about 2" above the girdled area.

Well it worked, it's actually had a couple of growth flushes.  I thought I pulled all the flowers, but yesterday I found this on it.

The older growth is a bit chlorotic, but the new growth looks pretty healthy.  If this apple is any good, I swear I'm gonna air layer this thing, it just can't be killed. 

OH - I did pull back some soil and look, there are new roots growing out from the trunk above the girdled area. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:48:10 PM by Coach62 »
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk