Author Topic: Another banana ID  (Read 641 times)

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
Another banana ID
« on: October 24, 2019, 12:07:38 PM »
Started with a small pup of this plant a couple years ago that a friend passed on to me but have always ignored it due to not knowing what type it was. It’s stout and fairly small, and fruits at a pstem height of 4.5-6.5 feet. It’s not cold hardy, generally showing considerable leaf damage under 40F and dying back to the ground at 32F. Last year I mulched and fertilized it a lot after it returned from the ground after dying the previous winter. It grew fast and flowered in mid June at a height of 6.5ft. Unfortunately I didn’t take pictures and it was blown down just a couple weeks after. This year I didn’t fertilize and it grew considerably slower, but a follower sucker has grown along with several sword suckers and it’s now fruiting at about 4.5ft in height. Late in the year so I’m not sure the fruit will have time if it’s not a super fast developing variety.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Re: Another banana ID
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 01:43:21 PM »
Perhaps a dwarf Cavendish by leaves. Do you have a small pup pictures?

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Another banana ID
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 03:12:02 PM »
Perhaps a dwarf Cavendish by leaves. Do you have a small pup pictures?

I don’t, but I’ve never seen a hint of red streaking on its leaves over the years. I recently trashed the dwarf cavendish I was growing in pots—their leaves would start looking bad after just a few nights under 50F and they definitely did not grow very fast even when pampered.