Author Topic: Keepin my “Ultra Tropicals” safe!  (Read 2060 times)

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
Keepin my “Ultra Tropicals” safe!
« on: November 23, 2020, 12:51:35 PM »

So recently we got hit by two consecutive category 4 hurricanes here in Honduras, as soon as the almost 90 mile per hour winds started hitting i knew i had to put some of my ultra tropical seedlings on a safer place. Since ive imported most of these guys i didnt want to run any risks. The seedlings pictured are: 2 Macadamias, 1 Cambuca, 1 Rollinia, 1 Kepel Burahol, 1 Marang, 1 Mamey sapote, 1 Yellow Jaboticaba, and 1 Excalibur sapodilla. The Kepel and the Marang are the most recent additions to my collection, any help on growing these 2 would be amazing, such as sun exposure and how much water they like. Thanks for stopping by👊

Regards,William

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
Re: Keepin my “Ultra Tropicals” safe!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 11:57:48 AM »
Forgot to mention they’re all about 6-9 months old :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 01:39:49 PM »
Those arent ultra tropicals.
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 03:50:36 PM »
Marang and Kepel are equatorial  which I believe is more clearly defined than utra tropical which I guess may be 10 latitude or so to the equator. Warm temperate and sub tropical area bit hazy as well. Most ohers listed are tropical/sub tropical.
Kepel handle wind better than marangs wish almost shatter is strong wind with their sail like leaves.Both can bounce back from much higher wind speeds than that all the same. The rest just need a bit of controlled pruning and flexible trees actually do ok as well.

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 11:09:33 AM »

Would love to see yo tropicals bullie ;D, bet u just have mangoes down there u silly kid.

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »
Marang and Kepel are equatorial  which I believe is more clearly defined than utra tropical which I guess may be 10 latitude or so to the equator. Warm temperate and sub tropical area bit hazy as well. Most ohers listed are tropical/sub tropical.
Kepel handle wind better than marangs wish almost shatter is strong wind with their sail like leaves.Both can bounce back from much higher wind speeds than that all the same. The rest just need a bit of controlled pruning and flexible trees actually do ok as well.

Nice info Mike as always mate👊
,regards

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 07:59:18 AM »

Would love to see yo tropicals bullie ;D, bet u just have mangoes down there u silly kid.

Its a shame you dont want help but i stead want your moronic nature to come through.  I was TRYING to inform you, but hell, you obviously know better (NOT!).  No ultratropicals here, wrong climate...you silly child
- Rob

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 02:56:19 PM »

This doesn’t seem like much “help”, but I would consider MikeT’s response helpful, and the young grower thanked him appropriately. Bully you trippin.

Young Grower, good luck on your nice collection!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 03:08:43 PM by FV Fruit Freak »
Nate

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 08:17:26 PM »

This doesn’t seem like much “help”, but I would consider MikeT’s response helpful, and the young grower thanked him appropriately. Bully you trippin.

Young Grower, good luck on your nice collection!

Sorry, just being real.  I dont need to coddle people, especially the people here.  Most dont want help, they are ignorant know-it-alls that unfortunately know nothing.
- Rob

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 07:02:18 PM »
Zone pushing and ultra tropicals are different

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 08:22:35 PM »
Zone pushing and ultra tropicals are different
Zone pushing is growing plants in climates colder than they are comfortable in. Ultra tropicals are plants that are very sensitive to cold.
To the OP...my marangs didn't like full sun. BUT this may differ since we live in different climates.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 06:09:24 AM »

So recently we got hit by two consecutive category 4 hurricanes here in Honduras, as soon as the almost 90 mile per hour winds started hitting i knew i had to put some of my ultra tropical seedlings on a safer place. Since ive imported most of these guys i didnt want to run any risks. The seedlings pictured are: 2 Macadamias, 1 Cambuca, 1 Rollinia, 1 Kepel Burahol, 1 Marang, 1 Mamey sapote, 1 Yellow Jaboticaba, and 1 Excalibur sapodilla. The Kepel and the Marang are the most recent additions to my collection, any help on growing these 2 would be amazing, such as sun exposure and how much water they like. Thanks for stopping by👊

Regards,William

You need weather station, here you can see.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk