Author Topic: Jaboticaba in bucket of water: 10 weeks and counting  (Read 2588 times)

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
Jaboticaba in bucket of water: 10 weeks and counting
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:21:21 PM »

How much water can your jaboticaba take?

A lot. This one has been sitting in a bucket of water for ten weeks and shows no signs of ill health whatsoever. Quite the contrary; it has put out a lot of new growth. I have better V's than this one now, and it won't get replanted. I've arranged for a friend to come and claim it next time he's up my way. Other plants in the photo are American sand cherry, Indian Guava and Wai chee lychee. Small finger lime seedling in bottom corner, and marcotted Longan.

Arpeggiated Minor Sevenths: They're pretty, and they'll make women want to have sex with you.

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticaba in bucket of water: 10 weeks and counting
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:37:13 PM »
stagnant water? lots of plants will take flooding
 for a period of time if oxygenated ergo running water.
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:43:38 PM »

How much water can your jaboticaba take?

A lot. This one has been sitting in a bucket of water for ten weeks and shows no signs of ill health whatsoever. Quite the contrary; it has put out a lot of new growth. I have better V's than this one now, and it won't get replanted. I've arranged for a friend to come and claim it next time he's up my way. Other plants in the photo are American sand cherry, Indian Guava and Wai chee lychee. Small finger lime seedling in bottom corner, and marcotted Longan.

This is very informative. Thank you very much, starling.
I have always wondered about this scenario but always chickened out of putting my 15-gallon Jabo to such a stress test.
Thera

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:53:33 PM »
I am still in doubt to put a bowl under my potted jabo or not, i think i will do it after seeing this.

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 10:59:04 PM »
When I  say sitting in a bucket of water, I mean literally sitting in a bucket of stagnant water. I have even topped up the water that has evaporated (note that 85% of the roots were still submerged in this situation). No aeration, nothing; an old  steel bucket, water, and whatever soil is clinging to the roots.

You will never drown this tree.

s
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:01:03 PM by starling »
Arpeggiated Minor Sevenths: They're pretty, and they'll make women want to have sex with you.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 02:37:28 AM »
When I  say sitting in a bucket of water, I mean literally sitting in a bucket of stagnant water. I have even topped up the water that has evaporated (note that 85% of the roots were still submerged in this situation). No aeration, nothing; an old  steel bucket, water, and whatever soil is clinging to the roots.

You will never drown this tree.

s

Because it can take being in standing water for a long time doesn't mean it won't be damaged or killed if you leave it in that bucket for ever. I learned this with miracle fruit...was fine in standing water for about 6 months and then slowly started to croak.
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 06:48:28 AM »
Adam did a big experiement with this way back with some of his jabs.  Maybe he can update us.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:42:14 AM »
Adam did a big experiement with this way back with some of his jabs.  Maybe he can update us.

not really a big experiment...but I did place some hybrids and sabaras completely underwater...they seem to last about 3-4 months before taking a turn for the worse.

some of the myrciarias are much less tolerant of flooded conditions...for example, M. spirito-santensis...doesn't seem to enjoy being flooded...even after 4 weeks of saturating the roots only, I noticed a decline.

lol...maybe I can treat my camucamu that has scale, by immersing in water for a few weeks?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com