Author Topic: Yellow leaves on cherimoya  (Read 1479 times)

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
Yellow leaves on cherimoya
« on: June 05, 2019, 12:55:19 PM »

Why is my cherimoya yellow?  Is it dying?  Too much fertilizrer or deficiency?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow leaves on cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 03:10:39 PM »
Is it last years growth or new flush?  If its last years you may need to defoliate it to flush again.  My trees mostly defoliate on their own and have new flush now. 
Brad Spaugh

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 09:01:11 PM »
The symptom is cholorosis, a lack of chlorophyll due to micronutrient deficiency/lockout.

Mainly the tree is lacking Iron and Manganese, two elements abundant in many of the mafic soils in San Diego where housing developments are built.

If you planted on a soil abundant in these elements, the lockout is most likely due to municipal water sources which have a high pH, and after time and lots of irrigation, the soil attains a high pH. High pH makes the elements insoluble, and therefore unavailable to roots.

Too much fertilizer, especially Phosphorous can also cause lockout, but is less common.

You can have your soil tested, but I use foliar feeds high in the micronutrients Fe and Mn. If you use a simple pH test on the root zone and it comes up greater than 8, soil sulfur can treat the issue long term.

If it is a cherimoya specific issue, and citrus in the area look fine, it could be due to moisture swings in the soil.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 02:25:18 AM »
These are new growth.  I think it is either too much fertilizer on my part so i am going it just water growmor to spray the leaves.  Thanks for the input.