Author Topic: When should I be harvesting these manzano bananas?  (Read 1340 times)

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
When should I be harvesting these manzano bananas?
« on: September 26, 2018, 11:54:52 AM »
These bananas started busting out of the flower stalk on May 12 so it has been well over 4 months.  As you can see they have plumped out nicely but are only about 3" -3 1/2" long.  Is the stalk ready to be cut or should I give them some more time?

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: When should I be harvesting these manzano bananas?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 03:37:33 PM »
 First, you should have cut the stalk below the bananas a long time ago. Some of the plant’s energy has been going to developing that stalk and the worthless flowers it continues to put out.  Once the bananas turn to male, cut it off. 

The bananas are very close, but they appear to need a little bit more time. The sharp corners need to round out in the fruit needs to plump up a bit. Some of the bananas on the top of the stalk look like they may be ready to harvest.

Bottom line is if you pick the bananas too early it’s a total loss. If you pick them a little bit too late it’s no big deal as the bananas still develop excellent flavor. The way that I found to never pick them too early is wait until one of the bananas just barely starts to turn yellow. Then it is without question safe to cut the entire rack off the plant.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:42:20 PM by Coach62 »
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 08:36:18 PM »
I agree. The first sight of any single banana ripe I pick the whole thing. Unless you want to deal with squirrels, possoms, rats, bats etc. They ripen just fine in the garage/indoors. I've noticed no difference in cutting  off the remnants of the flowers after banana set. If you do decide to cut it off, cut as far as possible from the closest hand (I've noticed creeping rot as the stalk dries out). Carefully cut the hands and allow em to "bleed". In most of the Caribbean Islands we let em soak in bucket of water till they stop bleed. The juices stain clothing badly so wear old clothes you don't mind losing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:55:17 PM by TnTrobbie »
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 08:46:37 PM »
Just wait until you see the first ones that start to turn yellow.  You can also just leave them on the tree at that time, as well

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 09:56:21 AM »
Thanks much for the advice everyone...much appreciated!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk