Author Topic: For the Cerrado fruit lovers  (Read 14866 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
For the Cerrado fruit lovers
« on: September 29, 2012, 02:55:37 PM »
Great little book , a must have .

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: For the Cerrado fruit lovers
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 03:04:35 PM »
thanks Luc!

I'm going to pick up a copy asap.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 04:47:01 PM »
Luc, you bought the book in Brazil?
Adam, with your plant interests i suggest a crash course in Portuguese. Actually i should do the same thing myself!
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 05:01:15 PM »
I've already learned to read about 60% of Portuguese as long as it's about plants.

I've been translating the pages of websites so much it's rubbed off already.  Pronunciation will be a bog hurdle for me if I try to talk, bu forvo.com has helped with that.

I also type fast enough to be able to quickly hand type each page into a translator.

so going ahead and buying a Portuguese manuscript and personally translating it, can be a lesson all on it's own.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »
There is a really great podcast with Brazilian Portuguese lessons- there are over 200, from beginning to advanced and it is all free.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 05:06:13 PM »
I F-ING hate iPhones and autotype.

I'm going to throw my phone into a bog...these touchscreen key pads are a big hurdle.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Adam, with your plant interests i suggest a crash course in Portuguese. Actually i should do the same thing myself!

If you can read Spanish, you can understand 90% of Portuguese . I download Brazilian botanical articles all the time. It's EASY for Spanish speakers!
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 06:14:55 PM »

If you can read Spanish, you can understand 90% of Portuguese . I download Brazilian botanical articles all the time. It's EASY for Spanish speakers!

Yes that's true. But surprisingly their spoken language i was lucky if i got 5% of what they were saying. Their pronounciation is completely different! Big mistake if you think you will get by with spanish in a portuguese (or italian) speaking country!
Oscar

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 07:20:09 PM »

Yes that's true. But surprisingly their spoken language i was lucky if i got 5% of what they were saying. Their pronounciation is completely different! Big mistake if you think you will get by with spanish in a portuguese (or italian) speaking country!

Exactly Oscar !! Before I went to Brazil I read some Portuguese texts and said to myself : Hey , no problem I'll get by ....That was till I had to ask directions to take the bus to Lorenzi's place...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 07:29:05 PM »

No doubt that their spoken language is virtually incomprehensible to most Spanish speakers.   

FloridaGreenMan

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 12:21:26 AM »

When I was in Portugal I noticed something weird, people understood me fine when I spoke to them in Spanish, but I didn't understand a word that was said to me
- David Antonio Garcia

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 01:26:24 AM »

When I was in Portugal I noticed something weird, people understood me fine when I spoke to them in Spanish, but I didn't understand a word that was said to me

That;s because Portugal borders Spain, and they are probably used to lots of Spanish tourists. You won't have such luck in Brazil!
Oscar

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »
 Hi,

Understanding another spoken language is very different from be able to read it,
 because it requires realtime skill. Pronunciation and accent really get's in the way.

I am a native Portuguese speaker and I understand spoken English rather well.
 However,  it will depend on how it deviates from the "reference" that I am used to hear.
 People with strong accents, like Scotts and people from India, will  sometimes make it
 very hard for me to understand what they are saying. I am simply not trained enough
 to parse that format.

What has been said above is not surprising, the majority of Brazilians even have problems
 understanding spoken European Portuguese. In Portugal, we do not have any trouble
 with Brazilian Portuguese. The last two generations have grown watching Brazilian TV programs, so
 the accent and the local idiomatic expressions are well known to us, including the use of
 Tupi/Guarani derived words. The reverse did and does not happen, and on the rare occasion
 that something originating here gets to Brazilian TV, the use of subtitles is not unheard of!
 The two countries have been diverging for more than two centuries. Today, we the advent of the Internet,
 it is easier to have both groups of speakers exposed to the same content and gap will get narrower over time.

Spanish is also easily understood for pretty much the same reason. Portugal is small and narrow.
 Spanish TV transmissions would reach a significant portion of the country. Before cable and subscription TV,
 watching Spanish was a great way to complement the limited choice of national TV channels.

The rule seems to be that small countries have porous cultural borders. People from large countries
 are more shielded from exposure to other languages and have little need to seek the knowledge.

The good news is that pointing and smiling a lot is a very effective language barrier breaker.  ;D

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »
Hi,

Understanding another spoken language is very different from be able to read it,
 because it requires realtime skill. Pronunciation and accent really get's in the way.

I am a native Portuguese speaker and I understand spoken English rather well.
 However,  it will depend on how it deviates from the "reference" that I am used to hear.
 People with strong accents, like Scotts and people from India, will  sometimes make it
 very hard for me to understand what they are saying. I am simply not trained enough
 to parse that format.

What has been said above is not surprising, the majority of Brazilians even have problems
 understanding spoken European Portuguese. In Portugal, we do not have any trouble
 with Brazilian Portuguese. The last two generations have grown watching Brazilian TV programs, so
 the accent and the local idiomatic expressions are well known to us, including the use of
 Tupi/Guarani derived words. The reverse did and does not happen, and on the rare occasion
 that something originating here gets to Brazilian TV, the use of subtitles is not unheard of!
 The two countries have been diverging for more than two centuries. Today, we the advent of the Internet,
 it is easier to have both groups of speakers exposed to the same content and gap will get narrower over time.

Spanish is also easily understood for pretty much the same reason. Portugal is small and narrow.
 Spanish TV transmissions would reach a significant portion of the country. Before cable and subscription TV,
 watching Spanish was a great way to complement the limited choice of national TV channels.

The rule seems to be that small countries have porous cultural borders. People from large countries
 are more shielded from exposure to other languages and have little need to seek the knowledge.

The good news is that pointing and smiling a lot is a very effective language barrier breaker.  ;D

Siafu, thanks for your very detailed explanation on the subtleties between these languages and variants. I work with quite a few Brazilian translators and had heard that there were major differences between European and Brazilian Portuguese.

Jaime

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 11:49:10 AM »
anyone else growing Peritassa campestris?

man they're so slow for me!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »
Funny how one topic can lead to a totally different discussion...Let's talk peritassa campestris!
FloridaGreenMan

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »

Had one. Suffered the Cerrado curse...
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 01:27:02 PM »
Some photos of my 3 small peritassa campestris seedlings.

Ed

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 01:42:28 PM »
turned yellow and died during winter?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »

That;s because Portugal borders Spain, and they are probably used to lots of Spanish tourists. You won't have such luck in Brazil!

Brazilian Portuguese is the easiest language to learn for a Spanish speaker -  I minor in Portuguese in college. I had a very difficult time understanding fellow students from Portugal and Azores. Rioplatense Spanish( voseo) has Portuguese influence.... didn't you say you were born in Buenos Aires???

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 06:34:45 PM »
Saifu,

What is this "cerrado curse" you speak of?

Decline in the fall, death by spring type of thing?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 06:37:01 PM »
anyone growing eugenia dysenterica?

or anacardiaceae humile?

I want to try anacardiaceae humile in a pot.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »
anacardium humile  not anacardiaceae. sorry
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 06:51:11 PM »

Idem Sergio .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 07:19:31 PM »
Surprisingly and good that not all Cerrado plants have " the curse " , Alibertia edulis grows and fruits well but then again this one is not exclusive to the Cerrado .
In other rare fruit groups we have gone over the list of the real tough ones like , mama cadela , cagaita , mangaba etc....
I trust Adam will do the job and let us know what we are doing wrong ....my guess more coffee grounds to keep these plants happy...??
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north