Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 621283 times)

HCS-1

• US, NY, TROY, 12180
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1150 on: June 05, 2015, 10:21:41 AM »
Hello, everyone ! I am a new Newbie from New York ! I love most fruits, but I have a particular attachment and preference for Mangoes.  I got a few from Walmart and decided to see whether the seeds would germinate.  The seeds survived on nothing but plain filtered water for 3 to 4 months.  Two of the seeds didn't survive.  My tree is about 18 months old, 14.5" tall, with gorgeous micro-detailed leaves. I originally potted the seedling into an Orchid Potting Mix and brought it inside for the Fall & Winter.  Recently, around mid-April, I transferred the seedling to a 5 gallon hydroponic system, with super-aeration and an 18 Watt LED (90 watt incandescent replacement). The intricate cellular detailing in the new medium-green leaves, is breathtaking for me.  It looks like microscopic cell structuring, without the microscope, and the plant is sprouting 8 brand-new leaflets.  The tree may have suffered several months of neglect, as a seedling (the seed was still attached when I put the plant on hydo).  However, I am inclined to believe that the tree/seedling is extremely healthy.  I have zero experience growing Mango trees, and have no idea what to expect.  How long will it be before this seedling becomes too large to handle and what can I do to accelerate fruit production ?    HCS-1

Noah

• Mbour, Senegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: June 06, 2015, 07:15:49 AM »
Originally from California, I have been living in Senegal for a little over a year.  I work here on a teaching farm, where we work with regional small-scale farmers, learning from each other and working to develop low-input cropping systems for the Sahel.   As part of that work, I've become increasingly interested and involved in fruit tree growing.  I'm particularly looking for native Sahelian fruits (there are lots!) and non-native fruits that can adapt to our climate.  Rainfed trees must be able to withstand our 9-month dry season and be satisfied with +/- 600mm the other three months.  We also do some irrigation, but even there tolerance to periods of drought and hot dry winds is still important.

Anyway, I have lots to learn, and am looking forward to getting to know some of you in that process.  Thanks!

Marula fruit, 8 months into the dry season
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 07:42:34 AM by Noah »

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #1152 on: June 06, 2015, 09:57:18 PM »
Hello everyone. I just recently got the bite to grow fruit trees after having them in my parents yard for years! Now i just bought a home and have a small piece of land to plant stuff. I currently have a Mulberry tree, Guava, Katuk, Native passion vine, and about 25 Papaya trees all under 5 ft tall.

I love plants and animals and have kept my fair share of....venomous snakes, fish, tarantulas, scorpions, monitor lizards....even roaches! as pets.

This is a really great forum and I have learned so much already!

Welcome! We also spent some time keeping venomous snakes, tarantulas...and some unusual arthropods. Now, we just have the large tortoises, some tarantulas, and an every growing collection of fruit trees. Nothing has made us go as crazy (in a good way) as the fruit.

EliteCuts

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: June 07, 2015, 06:45:03 AM »
Hello all, Im new to this so bare with me. I own a Landscaping co. and have had a lot of clients ask me about fruit trees. So I started educating myself by IFAS and asking local nursery and fruit owners. I just planted at my house a Lychee, Longan, Mulberry, Carambola, Sweet Apple, Tangerine and Lemon. And will be installing a Jak fruit, black raspberry, two banana trees, orange, lime, two pineapple, ice cream bean, Jaboticaba and dragon fruit.

I do have a question to start things off, I noticed a small brown bug about 4 of them on my lemon tree. I believe its called a stink bug after some google searches. Wanted to know the best way of getting rid of pests like these. I have access to a lot of different sprays and pesticides via my landscaping business but I'd like to keep it as simple as possible and not get crazy with the chemicals and additives unless needed. I did apply some basic 13-3-13 to the base of all of the trees. (I had some left over from a previous job) and also just applied a foliar citrus nutritional  spray that I bought at Home Depot (was recommend tho product. I'm not a home depot fan for sprays and fertilizer). Very exciting to say the least. Any info, help or guidance is appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:50:15 AM by EliteCuts »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #1154 on: June 07, 2015, 08:01:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Elite.  The picture you posted is clearly not of a stink bug, but of a beetle probably of a Species of Phileurus. The picture is blurry.  In any case, I don't do much with these beetles.  I wouldn't use chemicals on them.  I think hand removal is your best option.  I haven't ever seen large infestations of them.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: June 07, 2015, 09:25:26 AM »
I actually have seen infestations of these types of "beetles ".  They can do some damage.   With that being said, pesticide control should be done only if needed HOWEVER,  you have choosen to grow citrus which is probably the most time consuming fruit tree along with an apple (the stone fruit).  Many choose not to grow citrus for this reason.  Owning a landscape company does not make it any better, most in the area have access to any chemicals that would be needed, the more important thing is know what the issue is and what is needed for control.  Most people and suppliers are not educated (dont mean as an insult, just being factual) to that level.
- Rob

EliteCuts

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: June 07, 2015, 09:53:21 AM »
I agree most don't have a clue and mess plants up. But I try to research and find out ways to make things better. I did some more research and I believe its a flower beetle. I did take them off and killed them. I do understand the issues with citrus, i.e. bugs, canker, greening, etc. I'm hoping to be the exception not the rule.

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: June 07, 2015, 02:48:51 PM »
Hi all, I'm Caesar from Puerto Rico, and I'm a Bio student on my way to becoming a farmer. I've been an armchair biologist all my life, got started on tropical fruits (and other edibles) about four years ago, and it's been downhill ever since. I'm a complete newb with precious little practical experience on hand, but I hope to change that over the coming years. I hope to be able to work with rare species to bring them out of obscurity and into the commercial sector (at least in the States and PR, as I'm sure many "rare" species are well commercialized in their homelands).

My backyard is very small, but that hasn't stopped me from amassing an ever-increasing collection of exotic edibles (which will surely be cramped for space when they reach maturity). Apart from the locally common stuff, I've tasted very few exotics, but I'm eager to taste more, and it seems the only way to do that is to grow 'em myself. My collection currently consists of Durian, Achachairu, Sweet Madroño, Luc's Garcinia, Garcinia intermedia, Abiu, Rambutan, Cashew, Anonna reticulata, Açaí Berry, several Eugenias (uniflora, involucrata, brasiliensis, selloi, candolleana), several Myrciarias (vexator, glazioviana, coronata, aureana, Red Hybrid), Kwai Muk, Marang, Pedalai, Mocambo, Cupuaçú, Langsat, Bunya Nuts, and a few other species. Most are seedlings, and the bigger ones still aren't of bearing age.

I'm also interested in experimenting with exotics, especially breeding and grafting, and I've already got a few projects in mind. So... that's pretty much it. Long time lurker, first time poster. Not sure how often you guys will see me around here, but I'm looking forward to being a part of the community. Cheers!

Welcome.  How about some photos of your place?

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: June 07, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »
Aloha All,

I am living on the east side of the Big Island, Hawaii and I have been growing for about a year. I have so much to learn! We have a 3 acre lot that I have about 1/2 hand cleared and I am in the process of planing it out. I have the kind of gone crazy with planting stuff.

Abiu
Avocado
Cocoa
Bananas
Brazilian Cherry
Bread Fruit
Curry Leaf
Guava
Ice Cream Bean
Jabiticobia
Lemon
Kaifer Lime
Lime
Thai Finger Lime
Longan
Lychee
Malabar Chestnut
Mountain Apple
Blood Orange
Passion Fruit
Rollinia
Tangerine
Soursup
Star Apple
Surinam Cherry

Dave

I can't help but notice, your plant kingdom is incomplete without king and queen of fruits! Also get a bunch of others I would consider premier quality fruits. Marang, pulasan, cambuca, top quality quality garcinias like achacha and mexican...Try www.frankiesnursery.com for grafted stuff.

And don't forget about rambutan and langsat.  Plant it Hawaii on the Big Island also has grafted trees.

Slicko

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: June 14, 2015, 12:20:32 AM »
G'day Everyone,
I am just an interested Aussie in all fruit growing on trees, especially ones that I can grow myself. So despite living on a small suburban house block I have managed to squeeze 6 citrus, 3 peach/nectarines, 2 sub tropical apples, 6 grape vines, a mango tree and raised garden beds for veggies onto the block. Needless to say, most trees are dwarf or are pruned substantially. Most of the trees are in the ground and I have 2 plum trees in pots.
Looking forward to learning a heap more about the practice and science of fruit trees.

Mick

cthib1138

• United States, Florida, Pembroke Pines, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: June 14, 2015, 05:49:06 PM »
This feels oddly the equivalent to an AA group for tropical fruit enthusiasts.  So here it goes... my name is Charlie and I'm addicted to lychees... and mangoes, pineapples, bananas, annonas, jackfruit, mamey, pitaya, carambolas, passion fruit, figs, jaboticabas, papayas, jujube, avocado etc.  I've been following the posts on this forum for the past three years and I feel as though I know all of you quite well even though I don't actually know anyone.  With that said, I've built up quite an extensive collection of the aforementioned fruit based on my research from this site.  And while the fruits I grow may seem pretty rudimentary to some of the more advanced growers here on this forum, to my new neighbors from Philadelphia I am apparently some sort of tropical fruit demi-god.  All in good fun  ;)

And Rob - should you run across this post, this is the same Charlie who you assisted Saturday morning at Excalibur.  Thank you again for your wisdom on jackfruit.

Charlie

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #1161 on: June 15, 2015, 08:46:15 AM »
This feels oddly the equivalent to an AA group for tropical fruit enthusiasts.  So here it goes... my name is Charlie and I'm addicted to lychees... and mangoes, pineapples, bananas, annonas, jackfruit, mamey, pitaya, carambolas, passion fruit, figs, jaboticabas, papayas, jujube, avocado etc.  I've been following the posts on this forum for the past three years and I feel as though I know all of you quite well even though I don't actually know anyone.  With that said, I've built up quite an extensive collection of the aforementioned fruit based on my research from this site.  And while the fruits I grow may seem pretty rudimentary to some of the more advanced growers here on this forum, to my new neighbors from Philadelphia I am apparently some sort of tropical fruit demi-god.  All in good fun  ;)

And Rob - should you run across this post, this is the same Charlie who you assisted Saturday morning at Excalibur.  Thank you again for your wisdom on jackfruit.

Charlie

Welcome.  Pembroke Pines.....huh......I heard of that place.  LOL.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: June 15, 2015, 08:46:48 AM »
Hi, Jay here.
My place is the 3 acres at the entrance to Treehouse Nursery on Pine Island, Florida. I also made an offer on 1/2 acre adjoining my land which will be enough for a second house if I get to it.

I have some experience growing tropicals from a 12 year stint in the caribbean where I had an organic farm and operated a small cannery, and later another farm in Arkansas growing market fruits and vegetables. I'm currently working as an engineer on ships at sea.

So, at this point I am still planning on building there, a modest house and gardens throughout my 3.5 acres. Currently I have 45 mango of about 10 varieties, 50 avocado of several varieties, 7 longan, and 3 large jujubes. Most of this is on the right as you entered the former Tree House Nursery, along with a 150x150 and 150x100 ft open space already set up with drip irrigation they were using for large mango trees in pots. I am thinking about what to grow on those plots. Maybe a planting of dragon fruit in one and Achachairu on the other. That 1/2 of the property is already set up as a mini-commmercial avocado and mango planting in standard orchard rows so it seems reasonable to continue the scheme/format. What do you think about those 2 crops as something I could be successful and sell? Any other thoughts about fruits which would be 'cutting edge/novel' but still commercially viable?

The other 1.5 acres would be for my house, gardens and personal collection of miscellaneous fruit trees.
I want to establish this in a Permaculture style fruit forest, something which sounds like a lot of fun for my retirement. I'm going to need plenty of advice and hope to make friends with everyone. I'll also need a large amount of plants and trees to fill about 2+ acres.

Here is an image of my plot, I own the part in black and hope to buy the part in yellow.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:53:16 AM by pineislander »

Iharancher

• Guam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: June 20, 2015, 07:02:54 AM »
My name is Mario, I am from Guam. I am growing sweetsop, soursop, banana, avocado, mango, pineapple, starfruit, passionfruit, and a variety of vegetables. I am starting a farm on five acres and plan to use permaculture principles to design the area. I have tried growing durian, lychee, and longan but the seedlings are not doing so well. I also have a variety of citrus and other fruits from various islands in Micronesia. Excited to learn from everyone here.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #1164 on: June 23, 2015, 08:40:29 AM »
Hello everyone,
I live in Coral Springs, FL. I grew up exposed to a lot of tropical fruits due to having West Indian parents, however I didn't get bitten by the bug until around 4 years ago. Since then I purchased a house and have been planting fruit trees like a mad man. Currently I'm growing 11 mango varieties, atemoya, custard apple, soursop, jackfruit, star apple, abui, Ice cream bean, Malay Apple, Guava and a few others. Wish i knew about this forum before i began but i guess you live and learn. Looking forward to meeting some of you from South Florida and learning about different tropical fruits.

TucsonKen

• USA, AZ, Tucson, zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • KEN STOCKTON Southwest Landscape Artist
« Reply #1165 on: June 25, 2015, 01:08:35 AM »
Hi all--I'm a newbie trying to figure out what I can grow in Tucson--some may recognize me from other forums, but I don't post very much these days. I started with citrus, apples, stone fruits, and various figs, then added persimmons, white sapote, pawpaws, pomegranate, and avocados. Tried protecting in-ground mangos; no luck. Currently working to maintain small potted mango (grocery store seedling as guinea pig), cherimoya, and lychee.

Florida_Transplant

• Central FL zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: June 28, 2015, 01:35:34 AM »
My name is Stephanie

I moved down here in 85. Got married to some abnormal dude that wanted to move back up north. So we moved up in 2001. He died in 2008. I was already missing FL but couldn't figure out how to get everything coordinated to move down here and I kept praying. Must have prayed about a year. I had a house to get rid of. I had enough belongings and a huge book collection and tools to fill up two 20' x 20' garages. I didn't want to leave behind all of my canning jars either or my greenhouse. And moving just seemed too overwhelming not to mention expensive.

Sometimes God has to knock you over the head with a 2"x 4" to get your attention, so in the middle of a swamp fire, and having had an earthquake, my forest got infested with White Pine Blister Beetles and the trees started falling, we got notified that a hurricane was coming our way and I said, Lord, I've been praying about moving back to FL, I got Your answer!!!

I literally packed up everything I could in the back of my ancient pickup truck, which everybody said couldn't get me here, and I drove straight down through the middle of the hurricane as it hit GA.

I made it! I'm not leaving! I home for good!

I married a Crazy FL Cracker and we've got an acre that I have been working on since I got here.

We've got Lime, Orange and Lemon trees.

A guava that's taking over.

Papaya

Grapes

And a huge garden that is suddenly severely infested with Stink Bugs!

I also found a Flat Worm, I think it's called, in my garden today. Stabbed that ugly thing and I hope he doesn't have any siblings.

I'm also trying to grow apples, peaches, cherries and plums. I've actually got a couple of blooms but they seem to be confused and aren't pollinating each other.

I've got bananas!!! They were here when I got here, but I finally got them to produce fruit!

So, okay, I can a lot of my own food.

I read a lot.

I'm reading up on plant breeding.

I'm stretching the limits and trying new things at different times of the year that aren't supposed to do well.

And I'm also discovering new Tropical Veggies!!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #1167 on: June 28, 2015, 01:59:22 AM »
Great story Stephanie. Glad you joined the group. Nice to have you along for the ride. 8)
Oscar

Florida_Transplant

• Central FL zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: June 28, 2015, 05:19:18 AM »
Thank you Oscar, that was a nice welcome!

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: June 30, 2015, 12:02:04 AM »
Hello to all!
I have lived in Florida about 30 years now. Bought a house in 2006 and began planting fruit trees. Planted some citrus and a Haden mango in the back. Did not really take care of the Haden except covered it in the freeze of 2010. The next year, it gave about 40 of the most delicious fruit I had ever eaten!! It was then I became a mango maniac. Known as mango man at work ;D Have about 20 varieties of mango in my yard along with some citrus, avacado and guava. Most are under 5 years so I am just beginning to taste some! Have enjoyed reading the many posts on this site. Very helpful information from those in the know!

E

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: June 30, 2015, 10:32:43 PM »
Hello to all!
I have lived in Florida about 30 years now. Bought a house in 2006 and began planting fruit trees. Planted some citrus and a Haden mango in the back. Did not really take care of the Haden except covered it in the freeze of 2010. The next year, it gave about 40 of the most delicious fruit I had ever eaten!! It was then I became a mango maniac. Known as mango man at work ;D Have about 20 varieties of mango in my yard along with some citrus, avacado and guava. Most are under 5 years so I am just beginning to taste some! Have enjoyed reading the many posts on this site. Very helpful information from those in the know!

E

welcome...i definitely recommend maha chanok and some of the newer zills varieties like sweet tart, fruit punch, coconut cream, pineapple pleasure, lemon zest...etc.  In they future, they will drop the mango from your name and simply refer to you as "The Man" ;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Brev Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: July 01, 2015, 05:04:32 AM »

Jeff - Haha! Thank you for the welcome! I have a lemon zest I bought on a whim a few years back. ;D Love the clean citrusssy/ orange sherbert like flavor although this year they haven't tasted as good... yet. Also have a coco cream from my kids for father's day and a sweet tart I bought after reading the positive posts here. Neither of these is producing yet. Patience Daniel-son!

E

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: July 01, 2015, 08:05:12 AM »

Jeff - Haha! Thank you for the welcome! I have a lemon zest I bought on a whim a few years back. ;D Love the clean citrusssy/ orange sherbert like flavor although this year they haven't tasted as good... yet. Also have a coco cream from my kids for father's day and a sweet tart I bought after reading the positive posts here. Neither of these is producing yet. Patience Daniel-son!

E

Well-done!  Awesome choices.  Prepare to have your taste buds dazzled...in a few years of course ;)

Maha can be kept to a manageable size pretty easily with pruning...you may want to add that one if you can find the space
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Brev Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: July 05, 2015, 04:20:46 AM »

Jeff - I may be able to get one or two more dwarfish mangoes to fit in the yard:) Maha sounds pretty good, I know you and HMHausman have spoken highly of it. I would really like to find a great tasting, very early or very late season mango. Have Keitt and Rosigold already... Any other suggestions? Greatly appreciated!

E.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:35:22 AM by Brev Grower »

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: July 05, 2015, 11:13:40 AM »
for late mangoes, providence and honey kiss would work....not sure of their availability at the moment though.  Both are manageable sized trees, late season and excellent flavor!  Not sure how far it is, but if you can, plan to visit Walter Zill's fruit stand so you can try these beauties for yourself.
~Jeff