Author Topic: TRADE: Barbados Cherry (Acerola) Seeds  (Read 1284 times)

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
TRADE: Barbados Cherry (Acerola) Seeds
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:06:36 PM »
My barbados cherry (acerola) tree is laden with fruit and I have tons of seeds up for grabs.  This one is of the "Florida Sweet" variety and is a prolific producer almost all year long.  I have kept mine at about 8' x 8' and it produces more fruit than we know what to do with.  For those who are unfamiliar with it, here is some info courtesy of tradewindsfruit.com:

Small, bright red, berry-sized fruit with a vitamin C content up to 65 times that of an orange. A single fruit contains the minimum daily recommended vitamin C requirements. Fruit resembles the common cherry, with a very tasty sweet flavor having a slight bite of acid.

Description: A bushy shrub up to 20ft. Acerola's often form small multi-trunked trees. Trees without adequate pollination can set seedless fruit. Flowers usually appear after periods of rainfall or irrigation. Flowering may occur any time during the year (depending on local rainfall and climate patterns), and can last year-round. After flower set, fruit soon follows and will ripen in just 3-4 weeks. Fruits lose their flavor and nutritional content very rapidly upon harvest. Ripe acerola's should be picked and eaten within a few hours to preserve taste. As a result, the tree is not cultivated for commercial production of fresh fruits.

There is some confusion regarding the botanical name, with the name M. glabra often used for the acerola. There is a closely related species, the true M. glabra, having smaller fruits and larger leaves. The common acerola, with its larger fruits is generally classified as M. punicifolia.
George

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk