Author Topic: My confused April flowering Neelam, and some other pics from the yard ..  (Read 10654 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Zands, your Fairchild is doing VERY well...seems to take the pugging quite well. Boy, do I know the feeling of being disappointed when those young mangoes fall off...after waiting years to produce and we lose so many due to factors we have NO control over is just awful  :(

Thanks pglvr! It's doing well. It is right by the road but the Fairchild fruits are small and unassuming so not too many will be filched...so I hope. I have to train the branches upward instead of outward

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
gr8 pics and gr8 mango trees you got there ,,
and glad that you are growing an egyptian variety " hindi besenara " ,, its nice yellowish inside and supposed to be much longer and thinner ,, but heavy producer though ,, hope you enjoy it

Amr

I have an Egyptian friend at work who brought me a 1 gallon bottle of "Mango Juice" from Egypt.  He froze it in egypt, took it on a plane, and brought it to me.  It was incredible.  Very rich in flavor, sweet, and thick.   Almost like a puree. 

Also, here is a pic of the Hindi Bessenara.  exactly how the one I tried looked ( maybe it is the same one?)   They do look a little different on my tree.  Maybe thats because the tree and mango's are young, maybe its a different mango ...

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=hindi+bessenara+mango&hl=en&biw=1437&bih=715&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=yi0tw4H70JC3hM:&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mango_HindiBessenara_Asit_fs8.jpg&docid=Smwt6LeAfr2vuM&imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Mango_HindiBessenara_Asit_fs8.jpg&w=3264&h=2448&ei=0cmbT-nRA4fJtgfihICnBA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=200&vpy=165&dur=2087&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=189&ty=139&sig=117849864255213910132&page=1&tbnh=165&tbnw=219&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:69

What happened to the other (two?) varieties grafted to your Cogshall tree, Sleepdoc?  Late or not producing as well as NDM?

Good memory Tim  :)   The Carrie I grafted onto it is still holding 2 fruit, and the Julie 1.  Seems as though the top worked portions need a little more time in order to hold fruit to maturity.  They all flowered up well, but the top worked portions sure did drop a lot more fruits at about golf ball size ..
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:54:09 AM by Sleepdoc »

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
thats the hendi besenara in the wiki pic ,, glad you like the juice ,, its for an egyptian cultivator " zebda " ,, or " bedet el egl " ,, these are mainly the types used in juice shops ,, maybe your tree is another " hindi " variety , as " hindi " means indian in arabic ,, so it may be another indian variety  or maybe cause its young ,, anyway its a gr8 cultivator ,, early producer disease resistant and heavy producer ,,

Amr

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Amr,

Thanks for the information  :)

I planted a Zebda at my father in law's house a few years ago.  We have not had a chance to try it yet as the squirrels took out his entire crop last year, and it did not fruit this year.  If it tastes like that Juice, I will be more than happy !

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
You are welcome ,, and unfortunately zebda is a heavy alternate bearer ,,  good luck

Amr
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:40:18 PM by amrkhalido »