Author Topic: Mango Tasting  (Read 1945 times)

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
Mango Tasting
« on: July 16, 2014, 11:14:47 PM »
I went to South Florida this weekend and tasted some mangoes I had never tried before.  My favorites from the weekend are below. 

Alphonso - Very good
Angie - The first one was really disappointing, I even felt cheated.  >:(. The second one tasted soooo amazing! 
Fairchild - Very good
Lemon zest - Over ripe but still tasty. Can't wait to try another one.
Maha Chanok - Excellent

When I bought my first mango about two years ago I had no idea there were so many mango varieties.  Also, I had no idea of the addiction that comes with mangoes.   ;D

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Tasting
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:33:46 PM »
Glad you got to do some tasting! Were both the Angie's from the same tree?

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 10:00:28 PM »
I do not think so.  The 1st was from the tasting area at Fairchild.  The second one I bought from some guys selling mangoes out of boxes outside the tasting area.  I also bought the Lemon Zest from them.

How was your Pickering crop?

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:45:01 AM »
Thanks! Seems to be further evidence that they can vary. Still waiting on the pickerings to ripen. They now have a slight yellow blush on the shoulders, but are rock hard - getting impatient!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 07:52:50 AM »
Where did you find Mahachanok mangos?  Seems very hard to locate any.
John

Dexter_FTG

• Friends dont let friends eat a Tommy Atkins!
    • Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:43:19 PM »
All your selections are really good mangos overall. I've never had Maha Chanok but I've heard its great. I've got a small tree, I can't wait for it to fruit.
Mango: the other white meat

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 11:58:22 AM »
Sun - I agree.  I think that the one at the tasting was not fully ripe, but since I am not familiar with the Angie who knows.  Maybe that tree was very young.  Keep me posted on the Pickering.  The Pickering and the Lancetilla are the only 2 things in my yard that I have not tasted yet.

Johnb51 - I didn't find any Mahas for sale.  I just got lucky.  I was just talking about the Maha and some guy close by heard me.  He was eating a mango and it happened to be a Maha.  The guy just came over and said did I hear you say that you have never tried a Maha before?  I said yes and he gave me a piece and it was delicious.  It looked like the pics that I have seen of Maha.  Fruit people are the best!

Dexter - how old is your Maha?  Can you post a pic?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk