Author Topic: How do you plant seeds of Lecythis zabacujo?  (Read 2294 times)

Kapiak

• View Profile
How do you plant seeds of Lecythis zabacujo?
« on: November 28, 2014, 12:48:53 AM »
I finally got the seeds yesterday!

But didn't find much info about how to best germinate them...

Anyone who had good experience in germinating them and would like to share it? :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: How do you plant seeds of Lecythis zabacujo?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 03:11:40 AM »
You plant them like you would any other seed, by covering with a bit of soil. But it seems like they will germinate even right on top of soil, as i've seen volunteer plants right under the mother tree that were germinating with the seed right on surface of soil. I would still cover them. But just don't use very much soil on top. Maybe just like 1/2 an inch, so as to keep them consistently moist. They send a very long tap root, so make sure to use a deep pot, if you start them in pots.
If you plant them in the shell they can take quite a long time to germinate: 6-12 months. If you remove the nut from the shell it can sprout a lot faster and more uniformly. Trick is getting the nut out without damaging it. The shell is not very hard at all so it's really doable.
Really good news is that the seeds are viable for very long time, so even though they took very long to get to you they should still sprout fine. The trees are very large so give them lots of room to grow. Minimum spacing should be 35 feet, more would be even better.
Oscar

Kapiak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 08:35:48 PM »
Thanks a lot Oscar! Will plant them next week when we go down to the lowlands.

Do you think it may do well up here in the highlands as well at 1500 m (5500 ft), if we get several seedlings coming up?

I would only keep two plants, because of the large size. The 2nd plant is for backup purposes.

And is it enough to have just one plant to get fruits, or would I need both?

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:06:15 PM »
Nathalie,

Glad to hear that they made it ok.  The first group I had I potted up in forestry tubes (I think about 2 1/2" diameter) and covered them about how Oscar described.  I did not shell them but I did "scarify" many - using a knife to nick through the shell but trying not to damage the seed (with so-so success as to damage).  After that, I came across many sprouting on the surface of the ground in the leaf litter under the trees.  I found that, unless you really severely damaged the root, these could be transplanted and grew fine.  So now I tend to use large plastic pots or bowls that are maybe 4-5" deep and just mass plant them in the pot just barely covered or perhaps even slightly exposed.  As they sprout, I transplant them into nursery tubes or citrus pots (depending upon how quickly I notice them sprouting / size of plant).  I don't think I have lost a single one transplanted in this way (but I don't let them get too big before potting them up).

L zabucajo is from tropical lowlands in Brazil & some surrounding areas so I would assume it wants to grow warm.  However, one source I see on line suggests a relative (L. pisonis) can grow subtropical.  You should have enough germinate to try some at the higher altitude as well -- unless Oscar may know if that would be a waste of time & seedlings.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 12:45:34 AM »
Thanks a lot Oscar! Will plant them next week when we go down to the lowlands.

Do you think it may do well up here in the highlands as well at 1500 m (5500 ft), if we get several seedlings coming up?

I would only keep two plants, because of the large size. The 2nd plant is for backup purposes.

And is it enough to have just one plant to get fruits, or would I need both?

What are the temperatures there at 5500? You're almost at equator right? Flowers are supposed to be bisexual. Might be helpful to have second plant in case of some self sterility and also to increase fruit production.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2517.msg136097#msg136097
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 07:15:59 AM »
Seem to dislike cold and wet combo. Otherwise they seem pretty tough down here.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 07:22:27 PM »
Just got mine today John , 3 and 1/2 months in the mail . Googling how to germinate zabucaia I ended up here , I tried to open one with a knife , was easy but I cut in the seed so I ate it , tasty !!! I will soak them for a few days to see if the shell softens and try again , if I have the same result I'l just plant them as suggested .
Thank you John.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north