Author Topic: Looking for DAMIANA (Turnera Diffusa)  (Read 3016 times)

the_higher_self

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Looking for DAMIANA (Turnera Diffusa)
« on: April 10, 2020, 01:25:06 PM »
Hey I've been searching and searching for a live true Damiana plant through the internet jungles and no avail. Just the knock off version of it. It's almost like someone doesn't want the plant for the masses. Pharmaceutical companies using the compounds in their junk? No clue but I need some help please. If anyone out there has access to a rooted cutting or seedlings please hit me up. Thank you!

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for DAMIANA (Turnera Diffusa)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 07:23:56 AM »
Try the sharetheseeds.me forum. It is native out west and I figure someone out there could find it if they haven't already. I have wanted this plant along time too. Such a pleasant tea and has great light euphoric effects.
Trying to grow it all!

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 07:15:35 AM »
Ha! Good luck! This is my white whale. It's funny, the plant is somewhat native to the area we live in, but I've never been able to find the plant or seeds. As you probably know, all the Damiana you see online, with the expectation of dry herbs, is Turnera ulmifolia, which is not Damiana. I foolishly bought cheap seeds on ebay years ago. They never sprouted and I later found out they weren't T.diffusa anyways. Even bought some recently ($30 for 10 seeds ebay) and asked the seller if he could guarantee they were authentic. He gave me a very vague answer by saying the price reflected their authenticity. I was suspicious, but still ordered. The seeds came in an unprotected letter envelope, smashed and were not T.diffusa. Was treated rudely by the seller too. They're still on there selling seeds. :(

Anyways, the plant is considered sacred (and profitable) in Mexico. Maybe has something to do with the lack of seeds? If cartels are involved with avocados, they're most definitely involved with Damiana. Pretty sure Mexico is the only place exporting the dried herbs. Also, the herbs are easily available and reasonably affordable, so I guess there's not much demand for seeds to grow your own. I do have some good news, I recently found a source that has the plant and is attempting to root some cuttings for me. I'll let you know how it goes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 03:31:29 AM by shmojojojo »

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 07:10:32 PM »
Ive never seen any seeds on my damiana plants. Lot of flowers but no any seed. T. ulmifolia is totally different - lot of flowers, lot of seeds but it is not true damiana- smell is not pleasant. Only reliable way to propagate damiana are cuttings which may be tricky to root.

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 03:35:46 AM »
Wow, you have actual turnera diffusa? Do you mind posting a photo of it?

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 04:49:26 PM »
Actually I have only this one from my phone

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 08:29:08 PM »
Nice! They are so hard to find. I have been looking for one for over 5 years and I pretty much live in it's native range :-\

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 12:09:09 PM »
Knew someone had this somewhere. You plan to send cuttings out eventually? Put me on a list if so. Not worried if I fail or anything. Would like a go at this plant!
Trying to grow it all!

Lovewhatis

• Los Angeles, CA 90061
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 06:16:11 AM »
We must find this. Still, no alignment

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 01:44:34 PM »
Are you guys sure it's not available? How do you tell the difference between it and its cousin?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/959188688/damiana-turnera-diffusa-2-8-inch-live

https://www.herbcottage.com.au/products/damiana-plant

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 07:03:35 AM »
The etsy link is not the real one. Two pics are of the real one but the pics showing the plants for sale are not right. Note the wide leaf. The second link is the real deal.
Trying to grow it all!

blackb0x

• VA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 07:19:11 PM »
I can confirm this seller has the real deal as I recently purchased one from him, but he ships bare root and they shock extremely easily. He also raised the price for out-of-state buyers from $45 to $85 to ship express, but I think the bigger issue is transplant shock from repotting, as mine started to wilt by arrival even though it was sealed in a bag.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1221474226/turnera-damiana