Author Topic: Best Asian Mango Varieties?  (Read 9841 times)

ekierkla

• Ekierk
    • United State
    • View Profile
Best Asian Mango Varieties?
« on: February 05, 2014, 12:59:25 PM »
I have a vacation house in South Florida, l am there in the summer and winter. I want to know what are the best tasting and productive mango varieties from Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, ect.) I was in Thailand for a couple weeks and had the best tasting Mangoes. Anyone name me a couple varieties that would do well in Florida

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Best Asian Mango Varieties?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 01:37:08 PM »
For fully ripe eating, I would consider Maha Chanok or Nam Doc Mai.  For eating crispy and still green I would consider Pim Saen Mun or Keow Savoy.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

ekierkla

• Ekierk
    • United State
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »
How are their taste compared to other cultivars like Carrie or Malika

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 02:13:12 PM »
Different.  Hard to describe the differences. Nam Doc tends to be more pronounced in sweetness with perhaps a flowery overtone.  If you ate mangoes in Thailand, that is probably what you ate. Maha Chanok is complex in flavor but not in a piney way, like Carrie is. Probably best to wait for a couple of months and try them yourself.  You'll never know for sure until then.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »
I like Maha Chanok, Thai Everbearing, and Tong Dam.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 04:37:02 PM »
I had a big perfect Maha Chanok last week and it was good.No turpentine (pine) of course and almost the equal of NDM,Kwan,okrung and sam ru du in taste but better?  I don't think so.I ate the standard KP with it and MC just is not quite as good as KP. Pim saen mun and keow saveoy are common around here and I agree 2 of the best for green eating with the latter excellent for eating ripe as well.The best Asians are all polys not monos from India in my opinion.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 05:46:25 PM »
The most common Thai/Vietnamese mango tree that is easy to find in a nursery is Nam Doc Mai.
When you are down here and ready to buy you should ask what-where the good nurseries are

I prefer trees sold in 7 gallon containers. They yield fruit quicker. Mulch you trees heavily with wood chips since you are not here year round to water them

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 06:49:10 PM »
PPK and it's offspring, Lemon Zest. Not but Thai but Myanmar and Florida.
JC

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 08:07:26 PM »
I had a Cac (tough to say without smirking) at the mango festival a few years back.  Both my wife and I thought it was the best at the tasting that day.  I am still considering growing it....don't remember that much about it though---medium to large size tangy yellow fruit, fiberless if i recall.  It was really good.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ekierkla

• Ekierk
    • United State
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 08:25:29 PM »
Nam Doc Mai looks like the one I ate. I've had mango from the store in America, there good, but all they are is sweet and not too flavorful. But in Thailand they are just as sweet, mabey sweeter, and they are very complex. I have had fresh mangoes in Florida and they come close but still it was better. The flavor are unexplainebly good. What about Philippine Super Mango? Is available in America? It seem like a very good variety.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 01:43:36 AM »
The ndm gold is very good but i prefer the ndm green. They split more then then the golden ones though but taste better and less watery. Not that ndm gold is watery but the flavour of the green one is stronger. I think they all sell the golden ones because they don't split  so easy after some rain and maybe also they grow bigger.

There is a big difference in taste between mango's from the market or homegrown ones which taste much better. If you want to play more safe and get bigger crops then go for the ndm-si thong aka golden ndm.

Keo savoy is also nice but there is one for green eating that is far better. I don't know the name of that variety but my mother in law grows it. I guess it is brahm kai meu bit i m not sure, i grafted brahm kai meu on my tree but it didn't flower this year while all other ones did. In a few months i can tell how the other ones taste grown here in BKK.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
Nam Doc Mai looks like the one I ate. I've had mango from the store in America, there good, but all they are is sweet and not too flavorful. But in Thailand they are just as sweet, mabey sweeter, and they are very complex. I have had fresh mangoes in Florida and they come close but still it was better. The flavor are unexplainebly good. What about Philippine Super Mango? Is available in America? It seem like a very good variety.

What varieties did you taste in FL? Where did you get to try them?

ekierkla

• Ekierk
    • United State
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 02:51:48 PM »
What varieties did you taste in FL? Where did you get to try them?

I think it was Haden or Edward? I'm not sure. It was off my friends tree.

mod edit: fixed quotes
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:11:45 PM by murahilin »

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 05:29:35 PM »
Oh, you poor, poor, soul, about to go down the rabbit hole...

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 10:10:42 PM »
I think it was Haden or Edward? I'm not sure. It was off my friends tree.

I think you should try a wider variety of FL mangos before you exclude them from your yard. I think they are much better than the Maha, NDM, and other Thai cultivars.

ekierkla

• Ekierk
    • United State
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 10:11:54 AM »
I will try to. The asain cultivar may not taste the same in Florida as they did. I only have room for a couple trees, so I do not really have enough room to plant as many cultivars as I want. I will probably plant the "Nam Doc Mai" mango and a "Sweetheart" lychee tree.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 12:45:55 PM »
A lot of it comes down to personal preferences, and the actual individual mango being eaten.  Growing conditions such as weather, soil, sunlight, timimg of harvest, ripening time, etc all influence the end result.  "The best" mango is not always going to be the best. 

That being said, there are general trends among cultivars as far as ranking them is concerned.   There is also the strategy of comparing the "best of variety A" to the "best of variety B"

Personally, as far as ripe Asian mangos go, I would say Maha Chanok> PPK>> Nam Doc Mai.   I cannot rank Lemon Zest as I have yet to try one at its peak.

As far as green eating mangos are concerned, my favorite is Khun See.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 06:56:31 PM »
I will try to. The asain cultivar may not taste the same in Florida as they did. I only have room for a couple trees, so I do not really have enough room to plant as many cultivars as I want. I will probably plant the "Nam Doc Mai" mango and a "Sweetheart" lychee tree.

Planting 2 in each hole = 4 trees.....

ok, so i have a problem  :( ;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 07:19:08 PM »
PPK, Nam Doc, Mammou.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 12:08:15 AM »