Poll

Should we add a new Vegetable Subforum?

Yes
30 (83.3%)
No
6 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Absorbing the Vegetable Subforum  (Read 5027 times)

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Absorbing the Vegetable Subforum
« on: March 23, 2017, 02:21:14 PM »
With the fall of the vegetable forum and the rise in sporadic vegetable queries here, I propose we add a new subforum for this topic. In my (potentially flawed) opinion, it should never have been a separate forum to begin with. The topics are too close to each other, and the inconvenience of a separate login was not worthwhile for many. And despite a genuine interest present in many forum members, it is not as prolific a topic as the mainline tropical fruits, so an entire forum dedicated just to that niche was particularly at-risk of falling prey to neglect. We could be more proactive in protecting it from the crap it succumbed to if it was a subforum, and interest in participating in the topic would rise if it was right here, next to the other three categories. It would be a shame to lose what information was present in the original, but rather than try to save a sinking ship by resurrecting that forum, I propose we either transfer what we can, or start fresh, completely from scratch, as a subforum. Is there any practical reason (other than the semi-arbitrary distinction in topics) to keep the topic entirely separate? I don't know if this post breaks any rules (my apologies if it does, it was not my intent), but please, vote and share your opinions. I'd like to know what you all think of the matter.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
Re: Absorbing the Vegetable Subforum
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 02:55:24 PM »
I think exactly the same. Moreover I get many many fruit seeds that I would like to trade with  veggies

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 04:16:13 PM »
I voted YES
I see some voted no I would really like to know the reasons cause I can't objectively think of any reason not to?
Maybe they don't eat their vegetables  ;D
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 04:57:32 PM »
If it will cause a lot of distraction from fruits, then I don't think it should be absorbed. Seeing how little discussion happens there now, it's fine to be absorbed.

So on one hand I think it should be absorbed, on the other hand if it becomes heavily used later, I think it should be split up. But I imagine it would be difficult to preserve the existing post history in the split up. Are people okay with a join now and then a blank-slate split up later if it gets really popular? I do hope it would become more popular.

I didn't vote. I don't know what to decide.

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 05:03:50 PM »
It would be a subforum, like the citrus subforum, no? If you're not into veggies, just don't go there. No distraction issues.

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 05:32:23 PM »
The vegetable forum has just been cleaned up so it is usable again although there are already 2 new spam threads. It happens in the fruit forum too but gets cleaned up within a day or two. If the vegetable forum can get help to keep it clean perhaps we can keep it where it is and retain the history it has collected.
I've no issue with either choice. I just want to grow veggies as well as fruit. It just comes down to maintaining it, wherever it resides.
One issue with several subforums is that more general topics like pest management, irrigation, fertilizers related to garden management get diluted across several subforums. Maybe it would be an idea to also have a general horticulture section.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:39:36 PM by BajaJohn »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »
It would be a subforum, like the citrus subforum, no? If you're not into veggies, just don't go there. No distraction issues.
That's true depending on how you use the forum. I do the "show unread posts" which shows me both the tropical forum and the citrus subforum. I imagine the vegetables subforum posts would show up there as well.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 07:14:37 PM »
Hopefully zoned out forum originator murahlain will hear your pleas. Patrick also got this forum going

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 07:25:10 PM »
The vegetable forum has just been cleaned up so it is usable again although there are already 2 new spam threads. It happens in the fruit forum too but gets cleaned up within a day or two. If the vegetable forum can get help to keep it clean perhaps we can keep it where it is and retain the history it has collected.
I've no issue with either choice. I just want to grow veggies as well as fruit. It just comes down to maintaining it, wherever it resides.
One issue with several subforums is that more general topics like pest management, irrigation, fertilizers related to garden management get diluted across several subforums. Maybe it would be an idea to also have a general horticulture section.

My translation is that you cleaned it up. My take is this forum originators, murahlain and Patrick are bored and done with it. When was Patrick's last post? That this tropical fruit forum would do better with you running it. Or someone like you.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 09:35:22 PM »
I m so thankful of the originators of this forum. Nobody starts something like this without thinking in making s profit of it
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 10:04:31 PM »
My translation is that you cleaned it up. My take is this forum originators, murahlain and Patrick are bored and done with it. When was Patrick's last post? That this tropical fruit forum would do better with you running it. Or someone like you.
No - Sheenan (murahilin?) cleaned it up (a BIG thank-you). The only contribution I've made so far is to volunteer to help keep it clean. And I'll be willing to help wherever it finds a home.
I m so thankful of the originators of this forum.
Me too
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:43:23 AM by BajaJohn »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 01:09:07 AM »
That's true depending on how you use the forum. I do the "show unread posts" which shows me both the tropical forum and the citrus subforum. I imagine the vegetables subforum posts would show up there as well.

If you click the profile tab, then modify profile, then select ignore boards. You can choose which boards you want to show up in unread posts. I hope that helps.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 01:16:58 AM »
I originally wanted to have the vegetable forum be a sub forum in this forum. I can't remember the reasoning for why I made it separate anymore though. I think it may have been because we didn't want the forum to be too cluttered.

I had hoped that Off Topic would have been a place to post about vegetables and other gardening topics but we all know how that turned out.

Should we do a vegetable sub forum and a miscellaneous plant sub forum as well? Maybe a "plant only" off topic?

If I do create a tropical vegetable sub forum, should it be condensed into only two boards? Vegetables and Buy, Sell, Trade?

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 01:34:43 AM »
I originally wanted to have the vegetable forum be a sub forum in this forum. I can't remember the reasoning for why I made it separate anymore though. I think it may have been because we didn't want the forum to be too cluttered.

I had hoped that Off Topic would have been a place to post about vegetables and other gardening topics but we all know how that turned out.

Should we do a vegetable sub forum and a miscellaneous plant sub forum as well? Maybe a "plant only" off topic?

If I do create a tropical vegetable sub forum, should it be condensed into only two boards? Vegetables and Buy, Sell, Trade?
Yes I think that would be great!
Im sure discussion and buy sell trade for veg would be fine as many vegetables are root and leaf crops eg sweet potato.
Misc plants or plants only off topic will also be cool I think :)
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 03:01:58 AM »
Just "other edibles" Sheehan - so that would be all inclusive of vege (Asian or otherwise) and herbs (for cooking), herbals (naturopathic medicine stuff), rootcrops and then a buy/sell/trade for all of them would be good.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 03:03:49 AM »
Having a horticulture only sub would prob be meh - well just my take on things as I generally don't fuss with plants I can't eat. Yep, flowers = pretty but only if my bees like them.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 03:39:43 AM »
Just "other edibles" Sheehan - so that would be all inclusive of vege (Asian or otherwise) and herbs (for cooking), herbals (naturopathic medicine stuff), rootcrops and then a buy/sell/trade for all of them would be good.
Yeah I think other edibles would work :)
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 08:42:11 AM »

I agree

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 09:07:15 AM »
"Tropical vegetables & other edibles"
Quentin

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 05:07:58 PM »

The new Tropical Vegetable and Other Edibles board has been created: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?board=18.0

It can be found after the Temperate Fruit section on the main page.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 05:27:57 PM »
Thanks will check it out.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 10:13:18 PM »
Thanks, Murahilin!!

norahhosin

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 11:28:50 PM »
For example you can make protein tissue absorb salt by brining/dry curing it. What ways can I make say some spinach or kale tissue absorb salt? I want the salt to be in and throughout the greens and not just placed on the surface.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 09:12:25 AM »
I love the idea of Tropical Veg and other edibles - but while we're at it, where should people post for questions on tropicals that are NOT edible or medicinal? Sometimes people ask in the fruit forum. But if you live in a tropical climate, you're bound to grow things like birds of paradise, or whatever other ornamental plant. Should we post that in Veg also?

Thank you for tackling this! It has been very much needed. I will probably end up in there more than I am in fruit...

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 12:54:57 PM »

The new Tropical Vegetable and Other Edibles board has been created: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?board=18.0

It can be found after the Temperate Fruit section on the main page.

Much appreciated Murahilin, thanks! I may have to go on a posting spree soon.  ;D

I love the idea of Tropical Veg and other edibles - but while we're at it, where should people post for questions on tropicals that are NOT edible or medicinal? Sometimes people ask in the fruit forum. But if you live in a tropical climate, you're bound to grow things like birds of paradise, or whatever other ornamental plant. Should we post that in Veg also?

Thank you for tackling this! It has been very much needed. I will probably end up in there more than I am in fruit...

Medicinals and ethnobotanicals could be considered "vegetables" sensu lato, depending on how you look at it, or you might consider them allied to ornamentals. And then, where would other useful plants go? Like rubber and pitch producers, and those suitable for crafts and construction? If there is enough interest in other categories of plants, then there should be an "ornamental" or "horticultural off-topic" under the "Everything Else" banner (emphasis on "horticultural", to prevent flame-war topics).

Also, unless the site will eventually be erased, the link to the old vegetable forum should remain available on the front page, in case anyone wants to peruse its posts for anything valuable. If it's to be abandoned fully (except as a reference), it could be locked to prevent further posting (as a safeguard against spam).

*Edit: To prevent a slippery slope (the "where do we draw the line" scenario), we should hash out just what is relevant and appropriate for the interests of the forum members at large, while the topic is still in discussion. We should figure out our boundaries, and expand or restrict the forum accordingly.

*Second Edit: The "Horticultural Off-topic" idea could probably account for any additional relevant topics for all those interested, without filling the front page with loads of extra sub-forums (thus curbing the slippery slope scenario). Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:05:07 PM by Caesar »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk