Author Topic: NeelKiran Mango  (Read 2740 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
NeelKiran Mango
« on: September 12, 2016, 06:09:32 PM »
A friend from this forum sent me a small NeelKiran Mango and I thought it was delicious. NeelKiran is the cross between an Alphonso and a Neelam. It had much firmer flesh than both Neelam and Alphonso and it had a Brix of 20%. It has more of an Alphonso influence for its flavor with a nice Indian resin flavor. I cut one side of the fruit and noticed that it did not have any spongy tissue but then I cut the other half and there was minor spongy tissue. I like NeelKiran a lot more than Alphonso but I still prefer Kesar more than any other Indian Mango(Indian resin flavor).

Simon

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: NeelKiran Mango
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 06:37:12 PM »
Nice. How was the seed to flesh ratio?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 06:59:32 PM »
It was medium. Medium sized seed relative to the size of the mango.

Simon

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 10:01:58 PM »
A friend from this forum sent me a small NeelKiran Mango and I thought it was delicious. NeelKiran is the cross between an Alphonso and a Neelam. It had much firmer flesh than both Neelam and Alphonso and it had a Brix of 20%. It has more of an Alphonso influence for its flavor with a nice Indian resin flavor. I cut one side of the fruit and noticed that it did not have any spongy tissue but then I cut the other half and there was minor spongy tissue. I like NeelKiran a lot more than Alphonso but I still prefer Kesar more than any other Indian Mango(Indian resin flavor).

Simon

I'm surprised it has spongy tissue, given that all websites describing it indicate it is spongy tissue free, must be a case of misleading release hype. Thanks for the review!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 11:10:18 PM »
Eric
it's too early to tell we are still evaluating this variety.Indian mangos in general preform well in our climate.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »
I'm growing Neelkiran ( full name 'Arka Neelkiran') . Waiting to see how it does here in south Florida. Should be large enough to hold fruit in 2 seasons.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 05:53:07 PM »
The Indian varieties are turning to be pretty good  here. This is another one we will sample
Sindhiri starting to ripen

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 11:49:08 PM »
In other half there is no spongy tissue. Spongy tissue is in white, faint yellow colour. It looks completely orange. May be over ripe.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 07:59:32 PM »
I'm growing Neelkiran ( full name 'Arka Neelkiran') . Waiting to see how it does here in south Florida. Should be large enough to hold fruit in 2 seasons.

So I’m late to this party but better late than...Alex provided these fruits in 2019 and it rocketed to top 30 on my list. Among 216 other mangoes we’ve tried in the last we years, that’s pretty tough to be. A isn’t for Alphonso.  It’s for Arka...

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 07:31:45 PM »

So I’m late to this party but better late than...Alex provided these fruits in 2019 and it rocketed to top 30 on my list. Among 216 other mangoes we’ve tried in the last we years, that’s pretty tough to be. A isn’t for Alphonso.  It’s for Arka...
What is the season in S. Florida early/mid/late? Contemplating grafting to Neelam

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 11:23:57 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry