Author Topic: Where in Australia are lemonade trees  (Read 2975 times)

LumpyLumpAlot

• Zone 10b Homestead,fl
    • View Profile
Where in Australia are lemonade trees
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:24:28 PM »
I have a friend traveling to Australia on Monday he's not a fruit nut like me but I asked him if he could get me some lemonade seeds while he's there

Also is there anything else there worth getting "seed wise"

Third what restrictions are there with customs in bringing back seeds

Thanks

He's stopping in Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne  thanks

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Where in Australia are lemonade trees
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 05:20:08 PM »

Well, here's the thing:

If you go to virtually any bunnings in Australia, you'll find grafted lemonade trees for sale. Literally.

Millet is offering Lemonade seeds in the citrus buy & Trade which are going begging. These will be the same as what is available in Australia.

However, you will almost certainly never find them for sale in stores anywhere. In fact, I've never seen them sold in stores.

One place I would definitely recommend your friend visits whilst in in Brisbane is Tropical fruit world; here. he can sample a range of exotic fruits, including the lemonade. It's probably an hour or so drive from Brisbane, but you get there by the highway so it's an easy drive.

http://www.tropicalfruitworld.com.au/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:21:20 PM by starling1 »

LumpyLumpAlot

• Zone 10b Homestead,fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 09:39:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice I'm on the list hopefully with millet I was just thinking I could have a back up plan but my friend isn't going to have a car or go out of his way for me unfortunately. I'll keep my fingers crossed

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 12:08:18 AM »
Bad idea to try to import citrus seeds from overseas to Florida. Illegal to import any citrus plant material to the USA, especially Florida. I got budwood for lemonade from California Citrus Clonal Protection. I'd beat the bushes around Florida if I were you.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 09:23:13 PM »
Actually, it's unlikely your friend will find any since he's coming so soon, as the lemonade is only now just starting to blossom.

I'll have seed to post later in the year.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:24:49 PM by starling1 »

LumpyLumpAlot

• Zone 10b Homestead,fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »
Thanks guys
I was trying to figure out if he could even bring the seeds in the country it looks like you need to apply for some kind of permit then maybe quarantine so forget it but thanks for the replies
It looks like my hopes for a lemonade tree are in the hands of millet :) " hint hint "

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 11:13:25 PM »
Thanks guys
I was trying to figure out if he could even bring the seeds in the country it looks like you need to apply for some kind of permit then maybe quarantine so forget it but thanks for the replies
It looks like my hopes for a lemonade tree are in the hands of millet :) " hint hint "

I can send lemonade seeds INtl for about 20$ express postage without any quarantine issues, they're just out of season. That's posted in a small hard tube packed in sphagnum. Anything else they won't be viable, they'll get crushed in rollers and/or dry out.

Again, they're out of season.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:18:07 PM by starling1 »

LumpyLumpAlot

• Zone 10b Homestead,fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 07:15:16 AM »
Thanks for the offer and we'll see what happens when season comes around

I wonder how well they will do here in s Florida I have crushed coral type soil, and not the best drainage

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk