Author Topic: Don't cut Bee Sperm  (Read 1664 times)

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
Don't cut Bee Sperm
« on: July 27, 2016, 01:09:59 PM »
A class of insecticide called neonicotinoids, which included imidacloprid, a common ingredient in Bayer Advanced Garden insecticide , cuts bee sperm by almost 40%, study shows.

The discovery provides possible explanation for increasing deaths of honeybees in recent years, according to scientists

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jul/27/leading-insecticide-cuts-bee-sperm-by-almost-40-per-cent-study-shows

The world’s most widely used insecticide is an inadvertent contraceptive for bees, cutting live sperm in males by almost 40%, according to research. The study also showed the neonicotinoid pesticides cut the lifespan of the drones by a third.

The scientists say the discovery provides one possible explanation for the increasing deaths of honeybees in recent years, as well as for the general decline of wild insect pollinators throughout the northern hemisphere.

Bees and other insects are vital for pollinating three-quarters of the world’s food crops but have been in significant decline, due to the loss of flower-rich habitats, disease and pests and the use of pesticides.

Neonicotinoids were banned from use on flowering crops in the EU in 2013. The UK opposed the ban and allowed a limited “emergency” lifting of the ban in 2015, but has refused further suspensions this year. There is clear scientific evidence that neonicotinoids harm bees, but there is only a little research showing the pesticides harm the overall performance of colonies.

Previous work has shown that neonicotinoids reduce the number of bumblebee queens produced and severely cuts the survival and reproduction of honeybee queens. But the new research, led by Lars Straub at the University of Bern, Switzerland and published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B, is the first to test how neonicotinoids affect male bee fertility.

They exposed drones to the levels of two neonicotinoids, thiamethoxam and clothianidin, seen in fields, and found that they had on average 39% less living sperm compared with unexposed bees. “Any influence on sperm quality may have profound consequences for the fitness of the queen, as well as the entire colony,” said the researchers.

Queen bees perform mating flights soon after emerging to collect and store sperm from multiple males, which is then used for reproduction over the queen’s lifetime. The drones reach sexual maturity at 14 days, but the researchers found 32% of the exposed drones were dead by then, and therefore unable to mate, compared to 17% of the unexposed controls.

“This could have severe consequences for colony fitness, as well as reduce overall genetic variation within honeybee populations,” the scientists said.

The researchers also found that exposed drones lived for 15 days compared to 22 days for the controls. They concluded: “For the first time, we have demonstrated that frequently employed neonicotinoid insecticides can elicit important lethal and sub-lethal effects on non-target, beneficial male insects; this may have broad population-level implications.”

Advertisement

Peter Campbell, from Syngenta, the company that makes thiamethoxam, said the new research was interesting. However, he noted that the sperm quality of all the drones in the study was reduced, compared to earlier work. “Given the multiple mating of honeybee queens it is unclear what the consequences of a reduction in sperm quality would actually have on queen fecundity,” he said.

Christopher Connolly, at the University of Dundee and not part of the research team, said: “This study is important, as failures in honeybee queen mating is reported to be a growing problem for beekeepers.”

He added: “Although the insecticide levels used in this study are realistic, it is unclear whether both neonicotinoids are commonly consumed together at these levels.

“Therefore, it will be important to investigate the impact of the neonicotinoids separately. Importantly, this study demonstrates the complexity of the possible consequences from chronic exposure to pesticides and these are not assessed during safety testing. Therefore, this study further supports the need to adopt the precautionary principle on neonicotinoids.”

This article was amended on 27 July. It was originally published with an incorrect picture of hoverflies.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Don't cut Bee Sperm
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 01:27:55 PM »
This has been something I've been concerned about La Verne's stuff -- please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they use neonics on everything they grow and sell.  They're far and away the biggest nursery/supplier for subtropicals and tropicals here in California.  (I don't know if Dave Wilson Nursery uses them -- they're probably comparable in size to La Verne, but only have temperate fruits.)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »
Interesting article, but doesn't make sense of why "colony collapsed" phenomenon.

How could the  infertility male bees cause mass of dead bees (all worker bees are female bees) cases? I can follow the logic of not enough new bees are created, but why mass of dead bees in photos?

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 05:45:44 PM »
Some small bee facts. Male bees represent only a fraction of the size of a colony (a fraction of 1%). Male bees only job is to mate. Females collect pollen, tend the young, defend the colony, and only the queen lays eggs.  Male bees only mate with queens outside the hive. Its not a regular activity, as the queen rarely leaves, usually when a new split is forming/swarming.

And lastly, the males explode when they mate. Its an audible pop that you can hear. There are videos on youtube.

http://insects.about.com/od/antsbeeswasps/qt/Honey-Bee-Mating.htm

Based on some of those facts, the queen buffers the sperm for up to a few years to produce the countless bees that make a colony (where the lifespan of a bee is a just a few weeks). I am not following how a lower sperm count affects the colony collapse.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 06:05:04 PM »
Interesting article, but doesn't make sense of why "colony collapsed" phenomenon.

How could the  infertility male bees cause mass of dead bees (all worker bees are female bees) cases? I can follow the logic of not enough new bees are created, but why mass of dead bees in photos?

My understanding of the science on CCD is that it's not due to a single cause, but many overlapping, amplifying causes.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 06:28:23 PM »
I thought Imidacloprid was the less potent one that's approved for home use. Professionals need a license for applying the serious stuff.

I sometimes think there's some vested interest in keeping the general public conversation pinned on certain topics that don't matter much to the parties involved so nobody pays attention to more serious issues or makes any effort to discover any.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk