Author Topic: Productivity of kumquats and their hybrids  (Read 665 times)

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
Productivity of kumquats and their hybrids
« on: April 17, 2024, 02:59:52 AM »
There were a lof of discussions about the taste of the different kumquat cultivars and hybrids like e.g. mandarinquat. How about their productivity and yield when directly compared?

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Productivity of kumquats and their hybrids
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 04:47:46 PM »
Root stock choice will make a big difference within same varieties.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 05:22:40 PM »
Root stock choice will make a big difference within same varieties.
Can they taste better grafted than on their own roots Or is own roots always superior for fruit flavor?

a_Vivaldi

• Greenville, NC, Z8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 06:20:17 PM »
Rootstock affects fruit quality including size and total sugars. No idea which ones might improve kumquats though, most studies are done with commercial citrus in USDA field trials.

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 10:08:58 PM »
I have found that the Meiwa kumquat taste very  good on own  rooted seedling trees.  They are also quite tasty on Flying dragon rootstock

martweb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 01:59:17 AM »
My question was not about the used rootstocks but about the different varieties like Marumi, Meiwa, Nagami, Indio etc. compared to each other.

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2024, 08:52:55 AM »
Meiwa is the best by far.  It can be picked while still half ripe an have a sweet peel with a somewhat sour flesh.  You can leave it on the tree until orange for a sweet interior.  The Nagami, Fukushu, Nippon, and Indio need to stay on the plant till fully ripe to have a goo tasting peel. 

martweb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2024, 12:00:02 PM »
Meiwa is the best by far.  It can be picked while still half ripe an have a sweet peel with a somewhat sour flesh.  You can leave it on the tree until orange for a sweet interior.  The Nagami, Fukushu, Nippon, and Indio need to stay on the plant till fully ripe to have a goo tasting peel.

Sorry, my question is not about fruit quality but about the quantity you could harvest from a tree.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 04:23:51 PM »
as a_Vivaldi has already written, the rootstock also has a great influence even on the quantity of fruit. not just the variety.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:20:06 AM »
I have seen many kumquat trees with lots of fruits. It seems all the Nagami kumquat trees I know from friends and fruit collectors has the most fruits. Meiwa might be the worst fruit production of the kumquats.

So, to give you an example, I have seen Nagami trees that are in pots (4-5 ft tall) with over 500 ripe fruits at a time. Also have seen last year ripened Nagami fruits on in-ground older trees (maybe 7-15 yrs) with over 2,000 fruits. You can pick 1 pound of fruits daily for a few weeks. I got some of those very productve tree cuttings and have gotten fruits on the grafts the next year. I did have some photos but now I can't find it. If I find the photos, I will post it for you. These trees are from 4-5 people I know. I have Meiwa, Maru, and Nagami (recent graft, small branch) and the Meiwa has low fruit production. But when I went to the UCR/CCPP citrus research grove, their Maru (older trees) had good number of fruits that we got to pick and eat. The Nagami trees there at UCR still had the most fruits. It's really easy to spot a healty Nagami tree when it has fruits, it is usually completley covered with fruits so the entire canopy will be orange color and fruits galore.

The seedless nagami (Nordmann kumquat) also has the same amount of fruits (tons) just like the seeded version, Nagami. I can find the photo of the Nordmann fruits since I remember recently taking photos of that tree this year.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:01:22 AM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Today at 02:23:06 AM »
Ok, found some of my photos from this year.

Here's one branch (1/10th of the whole tree) that I cut from Nagami, you can see the density of the fruits on the branch, all the other branches had the same amount of fruits.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Today at 02:26:19 AM »
I found a few photos I took on our field trip to the UCR/CCPP citrus grove.

Here's the Maru kumquat. Since this kumquat tasted the best, I took a few photos of this tree, not the others.

martweb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Today at 05:47:20 AM »
Thank you so much sc4001992. Very, very helpful. Can you also say something about Fukushu/Changshou?

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Today at 10:18:43 AM »
My in ground outside 9 foot tall 5 foot diameter seedling Fukushu kumquat tree produces up to 30 fruit about 1 inch diameter.

martweb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Today at 12:15:38 PM »
Do you have pictures with fruits?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk