Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 181877 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2017, 09:02:13 AM »
Pinkerton. This is a consistent top tier avocado can't say enough good things about it. Sir Prize is excellent ridiculous producer but every other year.

Thanks, Pinkerton it is.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2017, 07:45:58 PM »
Was high of 118 and 1% humidity here today!  Hottest day of the year I believe. 

Went and looked at my avocados.  Trees look fine.  Watered yesterday.  Will hit them again tomorrow.  Interestingly the stewart, mexicola, bacon, pinkerton trees are starting to form buds.  Seems early to bloom but I guess its ok.  Early fruit set should mean mexican avocados by this time next year.
Brad Spaugh

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2017, 10:02:04 PM »
Yes, a nasty day indeed.

My Fuerte and Pinkerton are also pushing a couple of flower buds, not yet open. But my aunt lives about a mile from the ocean in San Diego County and her Fuerte was already in near full bloom last week. I was surprised to find that.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2017, 10:23:12 PM »
The wind never really materialized here today but now its starting.  Its still 90 outside and the wind is starting to rip.  I just want to get through the next day and a half without any fires and no dropped fruit will be a plus.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2017, 09:15:24 AM »
Was high of 118 and 1% humidity here today!  Hottest day of the year I believe. 

Huh? :-[  That's just crazy.  Is this the Santa Anna winds we read about?  Happy to know the trees are OK.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2017, 09:19:51 AM »
The Santa Ana winds kicked in over night.  It was 79F outside around 10pm last night.  Woke up from the wind at 4AM and it was 90F outside!  Got hotter overnight.  Wind is kicking now and its going to be a rough day.  In about 12 hours from now, the wind will die down and temps will drop.  Fingers crossed no fires break out.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2017, 09:25:42 AM »
The sun is almost up, just went to look at the trees.  They are getting a beat down already.  Its crazy windy and not even hot yet. 
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2017, 09:31:37 AM »
The sun is almost up, just went to look at the trees.  They are getting a beat down already.  Its crazy windy and not even hot yet.

Man, that just sucks.   Seems almost every state has their weather challenges and you folks sure have yours.  Based on past posts you have an ample supply of water just in case of fire danger.

Good luck!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2017, 09:50:36 AM »
Just thought of a great solution - Surround, a sprayable kaolin clay product.  I have sprayed my south facing trees with it to prevent sunburn as the sun sinks to the south shining thru a dropped down 4' High vent.  Some commercial folks use it to shade their grapes in summer heat, like Arizona and New Mexico.  Got a 25# bag from Consumer Protection Services.  You may have a branch near you. They ship.

Add a surfactant and just coat your trees top to bottom until their white.  May take 2 sprays or up the dose.

https://www.groworganic.com/media/pdfs/pmb380-b.pdf
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:04:57 AM by Mark in Texas »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2017, 10:11:50 AM »
Right now I got both pumps running and moving as much water as I can onto my plants and into my tank.  Looks like a fire is burning south of the city near tijuana.  Nothing near here.  Going to move my baby plants in my garage and pack my valuables and be ready to bug out. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2017, 11:24:09 AM »
The Fuerte and hass trees are looking a little parched but Reed trees absolutely take this heat and low humidity in stride.  Every time the Reed trees look perfect after a heat spell.  Good news not a single dropped fruit in sight so aparently all the trees can take it if watered.  Some look worse for a day or 2 but they all perk right back.

Heres a fuerte looking a little battered and a baby reed tree looking perfectly happy.  I would say guys in AZ and NV should be growing Reed.

Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2017, 05:42:36 PM »
very healthy looking trees Brad. We are starting our West Indian avocado season in a few week great Christmas cados. Ismael did not work in Homestead Florida as Carlos says.... the reason it works in Southern California is because it hangs on the tree for long time 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2017, 07:26:54 PM »
Never tried an indian type avocado.  Is it worth growing?  Whats it like?
Brad Spaugh

ibliz

• The Tropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2017, 02:27:48 AM »
Iam thinking of starting an avocado collection by getting budwood overseas. The transit usually will take around 7 days. Will any of the  budwood  survive ? Please enlighten me..

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2017, 08:41:36 AM »
All these cado trees got me wondering why in the world I can't seem to get one to take off. They all end up drying out after a while and eventually I pull them due to lack of growth. May be I need to quit because I have spent 100's of dollars trying. Zone 9B. Orlando. I have done all I could even mound planting and babying them. SMH.
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2017, 09:17:20 AM »
Iam thinking of starting an avocado collection by getting budwood overseas. The transit usually will take around 7 days. Will any of the  budwood  survive ? Please enlighten me..

If you have any degree of heat during transit, forget it.  Overnight or something like 2 day would be an (very expensive) option and the inclusion of a frozen gel pak would be wise.   Then there is customs, inspections, etc.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2017, 01:57:14 PM »
Never tried an indian type avocado.  Is it worth growing?  Whats it like?

Damn right it’s worth growing! good complement to our superior Hass type avocados. Ismael grown here is sweet and oily pairs well with Caribbean cuisine

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2017, 09:26:11 PM »
Who among you in SoCal has used West Indian type seeds for rootstock?  I remember JF has suggested it.  I wonder how it does in a variety of microclimates -- coastal vs. foothills vs. inland.  Any thoughts?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2017, 12:38:53 AM »
Brad here is a pix of Ismael from last year

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2017, 10:00:53 AM »
Who among you in SoCal has used West Indian type seeds for rootstock?  I remember JF has suggested it.  I wonder how it does in a variety of microclimates -- coastal vs. foothills vs. inland.  Any thoughts?

I have and have tremendous success.  If you have hard water, high in bicarbs of Mg and Ca, it's a good choice. 

Sir Prize coming along nicely.  Newly grafted Frankencado set 8 Sir Prize, I dropped four.  Still a beast!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2017, 11:36:57 AM »
How long does the indian fruit sit on the tree?  What month do you pick it? 

On a different subject I had a deer in my orchard in the last few days.  I had left the gate open accidentally one night a few days ago.  Not sure if thats how/when it got in.  Hopefully it was than and not it jumping in.  That deer couldnt figure out how to get out and trampled my deer fence.  Wasnt a big deal, had to restaple a 10ft section back up. 
Brad Spaugh

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2017, 12:10:11 AM »
Glad to see you are having success with your cado graftings, Mark!

I especially interested in following your Sir prize variety, will be interested to see until when the fruits needed to stay hanging on the tree before ready for harvesting.  If they stay till March/April 2018, then I am afraid the tree won't have time to flower and bearing fruits again next year (2018)...thus, this would make this tree an alternate bearing one, won't it?

FYI, my 10 ft tree had a couple of fruits in 2015 that I picked in December that year (much too early per JF: I agree, tasted bland), no flowers in 2016 for some reason, this year 2017 have some fruits hanging, along with few others from different variety scions...

Btw Spaugh, your avo trees look very healthy, glad they survive last week's Santa Ana's wind with no damage...!

Curious to find out if this Sir prize variety is indeed an alternate bearing tree, anyone has some opinion to share? Thanks!

My Sir prize:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:43:56 AM by Samu »
Sam

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2017, 01:10:41 AM »
Well, upon rereading this thread again, there on page 2:reply no. 49; JF already said that this "Sir prize is excellent ridiculous producer but every other year."

Something to think about folks, when planting this variety.

Now, I need to go back to my drawing board, maintaining some of the Sir prize main trunk, and adding/combining with more varieties on this same tree...hope this will work!

Sam

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »
Thanks Samu.  Thanks to the kind generousity of a member I'm doing well with his scions.  Keep in mind I'm in a totally different clime than you.  I bet these fruits won't ripen until late winter with some of that being because of the low canopy mass to fruit ratio.  While folks in Florida are harvesting Oro Negro come November, mine are best come late Feb. and March.  My ON tree's foliar mass is heavy too.

Interesting about the alternate thingie, just looked at an OLD profile of popular Ca. avocado fruits.  I had made a note about it years ago re Sir Prize.  Frank is spot on, again.   ;)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:04:50 AM by Mark in Texas »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2017, 11:29:20 AM »
Avocado blooms grow on new vegetative growth tips.  When a tree is loaded with fruits it puts more energy into the fruit than doing new flushes.  Then you get a weak fruit set following a heavy fruit year.  Solution, thin your fruit set for a more even year to year crop.
Brad Spaugh