Author Topic: Iguana Wars  (Read 6551 times)

Mango_Seed

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
Iguana Wars
« on: June 27, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »
Trap: I planted a garden near the canal. It is mostly grass and mango trees as the iguana have eaten the red ripper cow peas as fast as I can plant them. I built 2 traps 16"x 36"x 36" out of 1/4" welded wire. I planted seeds every 4" underneath them and am waiting for them to come up in a few days. They should be tempting as they have eaten most everything else in the garden.  If I do not catch them soon I will have to modify the one way door on the traps. I may bait with fruit if they do not rush the bean sprouts.

Snares: I also have some snares and saw a video on youtube on snare traps where they attach a bent branch to close around large lizards.

Rhubard: I am tempted to plant rhubard as I hear the leaves are posionous, but it is probably too hot outside. We plan to eat them so I don't know if I should be feeding them rhubard.

Pellet Rifle: I wonder if the Benjamin Prowler pellet rifle sold at Walmart is powerful enough to kill iguana? The ones near me run when I am over 100 feet away so I would have to sneak up on them when they are there. There has to be an easier way.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 02:42:13 PM by Mango_Seed »

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
Re: Iguana Wars
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 11:42:13 AM »
I have an older model Benjamin pellet gun and it will take out squirrels, ( don't tell my wife ).

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 01:35:27 PM »
I'll be following your progress with great interest. Iguanas haven't shown up in my neck of the woods yet, but like all invasive species and tree diseases sweeping through Florida, I figure I'll have to deal with them someday, so I may as well try to learn something now.
   Good luck!

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »
I have a fairly high powered .177 pellet rifle that will kill a rat immediately and the pellets bounce off of Iguana.

Traps are GR8, once trapped drowning works best.

I'm thinking a .22 CB or BB cap will do the job but it's illegal to touch them off in most areas of So. Flo.
Regards,

Gary

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 02:46:17 PM »
 .25 caliber  air rifle at 800 FPS will definitely take down iguana.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 02:46:24 PM »
Mother lives down in Boynton beach on a canal and has been complaining about the iguanas are huge and everywhere... I haven’t tried this but was thinking about nailing down a 2x4 piece of wood and then tying off some lines of 100lb test monofilament then on other end small treble hooks baited with lettuce? Think that might get them.

Also if you every have a squirrel problem the “sqirrelinator” trap works really well baited w peanuts when not around home with pellet gun.

-Joep450

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 03:03:41 PM »
Banana and mango make good iguana bait.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 03:32:13 PM »
I can neither confirm nor deny any kill count - but I have a .22 Gamo Swarm Magnum that goes 1,300 FPS and is more than sufficient for the iguanas that plague my yard.

https://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-swarm-magnum-air-rifle-22-cal.html

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »
Any good recipes?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 12:26:29 PM »
I can neither confirm nor deny any kill count - but I have a .22 Gamo Swarm Magnum that goes 1,300 FPS and is more than sufficient for the iguanas that plague my yard.

Would take out ameiva lizards, too?  The full-grown ones?
John

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 02:07:59 PM »

Would take out ameiva lizards, too?  The full-grown ones?

It cuts through iguanas like butter, so I would imagine so.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 02:12:16 PM »
Iguanas are delicacies, supposedly.  The tail and ribs are touted as the choice cuts

What about a crossbow?

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 09:47:56 PM »
That looks like a really nice air rifle.  Will definitely take out iguana. 

Mango_Seed

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 06:58:14 PM »
I was still laughing about some of the stolen mango posts as I approached my garden, which is mostly baby mango trees and saw a iguana. Then it got real and wasn't funny any longer. I felt helpless as a baby iguana walked slowly away & up a cabbage palm tree. I walked away and looked at my the Irwin mango I moved yesterday to make room for a Lemon Zest and saw another even smaller iguana on top of the 3 foot tree. I grabbed him with my ninja fast reflexes and marveled at how beautiful it was.

I need help feeding Iggie now until I can wean him off mangos and cow peas shoots. Actually I think he was eating mostly cow peas & vegetable seedlings. If you would like to help rehabilitate Iggie your mango donations will be appreciated.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 07:43:00 PM »
I was still laughing about some of the stolen mango posts as I approached my garden, which is mostly baby mango trees and saw a iguana. Then it got real and wasn't funny any longer. I felt helpless as a baby iguana walked slowly away & up a cabbage palm tree. I walked away and looked at my the Irwin mango I moved yesterday to make room for a Lemon Zest and saw another even smaller iguana on top of the 3 foot tree. I grabbed him with my ninja fast reflexes and marveled at how beautiful it was.

I need help feeding Iggie now until I can wean him off mangos and cow peas shoots. Actually I think he was eating mostly cow peas & vegetable seedlings. If you would like to help rehabilitate Iggie your mango donations will be appreciated.
Got a new pet?
Here an baby iguana costs 100 dollars.If they are invasive maybe catch them and sell them to people that want them as a pet.Better idea than just killing them and they could be worth a lot more than the mangos ( in Romania good mangos cost just 2 dollars a kilo-cheaper than cherryes ,pears and strawberryes sometime).

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 08:47:53 PM »

I imagine what you are getting shipped to Romania are commercial varieties, so the definition of "good" might not be informed. This sounds like a mango snob speaking here in Florida(mango paradise), but you really don't know what you are missing from these backyard varieties until you compare them. They almost taste like a different fruit. I have gotten to the point if I buy an imported store bought mango, a couple of bites in I throw it away in disgust.

Got a new pet?
Here an baby iguana costs 100 dollars.If they are invasive maybe catch them and sell them to people that want them as a pet.Better idea than just killing them and they could be worth a lot more than the mangos ( in Romania good mangos cost just 2 dollars a kilo-cheaper than cherryes ,pears and strawberryes sometime).

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 09:16:04 PM »

I imagine what you are getting shipped to Romania are commercial varieties, so the definition of "good" might not be informed. This sounds like a mango snob speaking here in Florida(mango paradise), but you really don't know what you are missing from these backyard varieties until you compare them. They almost taste like a different fruit. I have gotten to the point if I buy an imported store bought mango, a couple of bites in I throw it away in disgust.

Got a new pet?
We get our mangos here from better places to grow mango like Brasil,Cote d Ivoire ,India,etc.And your right that the.comercial varietyes costs just 2 dollars per kilo.The fancy bio mangos rippen on the tree,each individually packed ,cost 3-4 dollars / kg.But interesting thing is that the cheaper comercial ones are always better than the bio,more expensive ones ( but i know how to pick them).Bio products here means they are not treated with pesticides and stuff like that.As for the taste,i ate maybe 35 mangos in the past month and none tasted the same .Each feels like a different fruit.
These are all less than a dollar mangos i picked 2 days ago.First 2 red ones taste like mango ,second tastes like lemon zest but the texture is more gritty and swweter than any of the more expensive lemon zest ive ate and the last one tasted sweet with a ,,stinky,, smell to it ,like sulphur,wich it was first time i encountered in a mango.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 09:32:46 PM by SeaWalnut »

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 10:17:20 PM »
The last one sounds like a turpentine mango and is an acquired taste. Most turpentine trees are used for rootstock unless you are old school and grew up eating them as an acquired taste. Most back yard varieties would never survive the shipping overseas as they ripen very quickly, especially if picked at the peak time for the best flavor. That's one of the big differences between backyard varieties and commercial. Just shipping backyard varieties in the states with 2 day delivery sometimes is to long and the mangoes arrive overripe and spoiled.

Got a new pet?
We get our mangos here from better places to grow mango like Brasil,Cote d Ivoire ,India,etc.And your right that the.comercial varietyes costs just 2 dollars per kilo.The fancy bio mangos rippen on the tree,each individually packed ,cost 3-4 dollars / kg.But interesting thing is that the cheaper comercial ones are always better than the bio,more expensive ones ( but i know how to pick them).Bio products here means they are not treated with pesticides and stuff like that.As for the taste,i ate maybe 35 mangos in the past month and none tasted the same .Each feels like a different fruit.
These are all less than a dollar mangos i picked 2 days ago.First 2 red ones taste like mango ,second tastes like lemon zest but the texture is more gritty and swweter than any of the more expensive lemon zest ive ate and the last one tasted sweet with a ,,stinky,, smell to it ,like sulphur,wich it was first time i encountered in a mango.

Mango_Seed

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 01:31:08 AM »
Thinking about making modifications to my DIY iguana trap.  I plan to close & lock one way door & install a trap door on top like in the Uhlik Repeater Trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2PSDVsZ38U

Mango_Seed

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »
'Plants Iguanas and Key Deer Ignore or Eat'

https://floridakeystreasures.com/plants-iguanas-and-key-deer-ignore-or-eat/

Looks like the Monroe County Extension website has updated their site and has eliminated this information, before I had a chance to read it.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 09:43:21 AM »

Its getting bad here 🦎

Mango_Seed

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 03:30:40 PM »
I'm thinking about modifying my pole saw into a Naginata to help deal the iguanas eating my plants. 

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 10:38:56 AM »
I saw no iguanas in Jupiter, but tens of the Jesus lizards, including in my backyard  >:(
Does anybody know the pest potential of these? I read they are invasive but nothing about what damage, if any, they cause.
My trees are too young to have fruit, but I should think in advance.

Mango_Seed

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2019, 11:41:56 AM »
I watched a few more videos by iguana man on youtube yesterday and saw something to try to modify on my DIY iguana trap.

Also saw them catching bright green baby iguana at night when they were sleeping. They looked like they were easy to spot and catch with only a  flashlight.

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile