Author Topic: Hass Avocado - how long before harvest?  (Read 3084 times)

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Hass Avocado - how long before harvest?
« on: June 16, 2017, 04:11:28 PM »
Finally I got a Hass avocado tree to find a sweet spot in my backyard and set fruit, but it's difficult finding information on just how long it will be before the fruit is ready for harvest.  The fruit is walnut to golf ball size right now and I'm guessing it won't be ready until the end of the year.
Any information about the length of time between flowering and harvest for this variety would be appreciated.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Hass Avocado - how long before harvest?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:38:21 PM »
Right now is Hass season. So you are looking at this time next year to pick your Hass.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
I looked back at an older thread and friend harvested some of his Hass around October November. I've seen Hass holding fruit for many months of the year and younger trees can have very early or late blooms. Please keep us updated, I've got a great recipe for Avocado smoothie if you find yourself overwhelmed with fruit.

Simon

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 05:31:06 PM »
I looked back at an older thread and friend harvested some of his Hass around October November. I've seen Hass holding fruit for many months of the year and younger trees can have very early or late blooms. Please keep us updated, I've got a great recipe for Avocado smoothie if you find yourself overwhelmed with fruit.

Simon

Sorry, but no matter how much fruit we have you'd never make it past my wife.   :)
Thanks for the info.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 07:32:07 PM »
I've got a great recipe for Avocado smoothie if you find yourself overwhelmed with fruit.

Simon

Recently I had my first Avocado smoothie at a Bánh mě sandwich shop and I liked it.

I would be interested in your Avocado smoothie recipe.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 07:56:48 PM »
Here's my recipe, don't tell anyone, it's a secret.

In a large blender, about 7 cups or 1.75 liters, combine the following:
The flesh of 2 large or 3small Avocados, two pinches of salt, 1/2 can(7 oz) sweetened condensed milk, 1/3 cup sugar, two cups milk.

Blend all of this together at the fastest setting until everything is mixed and the Avocado is completely emulsified. Once everything is emulsified, not before, add about 3 cups ice and break the ice into whatever size you prefer, I pretty much emulsify it.

This is the sweet version and you can cut back on the sugar if you want it less sweet or you can add more sweetened condensed milk in place of the sugar but this recipe is a great starting point and you can adapt it to your personal preference.

The secret to this recipe and recipes containing coconut like coconut ice cream is the two pinches of salt that brings out the flavor of fruit that isn't very strong to begin with. If anyone reading this has not tried an Avocado smoothie, I highly recommend it!

Jeff, I think it's time for you to plant another Avocado, for your wife of course.

Simon

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
Jeff, I think it's time for you to plant another Avocado, for your wife of course.
Simon
I've got a Zutano on one side of the backyard that's looking real happy and a Fuerte on the other side that also seems pleased with where it's at.  I'm hoping that both will bear fruit next year.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 08:31:20 PM »
Have you considered a Reed? It has buttery rich flesh that oxidizes very slowly. You can leave cut fruit in the fridge for a day without it turning brown. It's also a columnar, relatively smaller tree. There's lots of other rare varieties as well.
Check out this website
http://www.epicenteravocados.com

Simon

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 08:53:56 PM »
Have you considered a Reed? It has buttery rich flesh that oxidizes very slowly. You can leave cut fruit in the fridge for a day without it turning brown. It's also a columnar, relatively smaller tree. There's lots of other rare varieties as well.
Check out this website

Simon

I've been planting, torturing and killing avocado trees in my back yard for over 15 years.  I'm sure I already had a Reed that died a miserable over watered death in one of my half whiskey barrel patio pots.
For some unknown reason, my luck has changed and I've managed to find places in the yard that have good drainage and counteract my tendency to drown the trees.

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 01:53:24 PM »
I'm in Ramona, and I ate my earliest Hass in November last year. But my aunt in Encinitas ate her earliest Hass in October. That being said, those early fruits don't taste as rich as the Hass I'm harvesting here in June.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »
Hass hangs on the tree forever. I've have a friend with a tree that gets fruits year round.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 09:51:59 AM »
Check out this website

Simon

Without a doubt, Reed is excellent.  The rich taste, perfect texture, hard shell that is perfect for spooning out....just can't be beat.  I know now what Cali commercial Hass growers mean when they say - "we sell the Hass and keep the Reeds for ourselves."  I'm really stingy when it comes to sharing Reed having shared only one so far.  Have 14 beautiful fruit left hanging and the tree set a heavy crop in March.

Check out this upside down chunk. Perfection!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:54:22 AM by Mark in Texas »

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 05:54:24 PM »
Here's my recipe, don't tell anyone, it's a secret.

In a large blender, about 7 cups or 1.75 liters, combine the following:
The flesh of 2 large or 3small Avocados, two pinches of salt, 1/2 can(7 oz) sweetened condensed milk, 1/3 cup sugar, two cups milk.

Blend all of this together at the fastest setting until everything is mixed and the Avocado is completely emulsified. Once everything is emulsified, not before, add about 3 cups ice and break the ice into whatever size you prefer, I pretty much emulsify it.

This is the sweet version and you can cut back on the sugar if you want it less sweet or you can add more sweetened condensed milk in place of the sugar but this recipe is a great starting point and you can adapt it to your personal preference.

The secret to this recipe and recipes containing coconut like coconut ice cream is the two pinches of salt that brings out the flavor of fruit that isn't very strong to begin with. If anyone reading this has not tried an Avocado smoothie, I highly recommend it!

Simon

dang simon somebody has a sweet tooth :) I usually only do like 3 or 4 teaspoon of sugar and 2 teaspoon of condensed milk

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 06:21:21 PM »
It might be the volume, I do a huge pitcher but yes, I do have a sweet tooth!

Simon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 09:18:36 AM »
It might be the volume, I do a huge pitcher but yes, I do have a sweet tooth!

Simon

Nice.  We like lightly seasoned smashed avocado and honey on buttered toast in the morn.