Author Topic: My first chocolate tree  (Read 15290 times)

CacaoGuy

• View Profile
My first chocolate tree
« on: April 28, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »
Here's a few pictures of my very first chocolate tree (aka cacao)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: My first chocolate tree
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 03:22:46 PM »
Hi CacaoGuy,

Your cacao seedling looks great ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

CacaoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 03:28:43 PM »
Thanks, I have been looking everywhere to purchase one of these and i finally found a nursery who sold them and they have exceptionally great quality seedlings. Do you grow cacao also?

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
No :(, They will not thrive very well in the sub-tropics! But, when I build a large green house...sure will give them a shot ;) ;) ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 03:50:55 PM »
Here's a few pictures of my very first chocolate tree (aka cacao)

I have two. After one season of the first one blooming, I bought a second to get it to cross pollinate themselves. Grrr still waiting for the second to bloom

Regards,

Gary

CacaoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »
Im about to buy another one myself. This one here is a red pod strain. I am excited to have them. Its going to be a little rough here though. It stays hot here and usually humid but this year is a little dry and less humid but still hot

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 04:24:34 PM »
I have Red, Green and Yellow seedlings.  One of which fruited for the first time a couple of years ago (here in the sub-tropics) only to be frozen in our brutal winter that and the following year. The tree lost major limbs but has recovered but has not bloomed since.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 04:34:30 PM »
I have Red, Green and Yellow seedlings.  One of which fruited for the first time a couple of years ago (here in the sub-tropics) only to be frozen in our brutal winter that and the following year. The tree lost major limbs but has recovered but has not bloomed since.
Harry

Harry,
Your climate is hotter and more humid than my climate!
Time is like a river.

CacaoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »

Harry

Harry, do you have an idea where I can locate cacao pods that are fresh and unopened?? Ive been looking around for some time now and can not find any at all.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 05:54:52 PM »
I think Montoso Gardens in PR sells them sometimes.

CacaoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »
I think Montoso Gardens in PR sells them sometimes.

I tried buying from them, ordered like 3 weeks ago and still havent heard anything from them Ive contacted them several times and no response.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 09:56:01 PM »
Cacao is grown commercially here, but still on a small scale. Though experimental trials found that Hawaiian chocolate is top notch quality no large acreage ever was planted because there are no processing factories here. But if you ever come to Kona check out the world's smallest chocolate factory. Very interesting tour and top notch quality chocolate.
Oscar

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 01:00:29 AM »
I love chocolate, but I've never tasted the fruit pulp that surround the beans/seeds before. Good luck!
Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 02:56:43 AM »
I love chocolate, but I've never tasted the fruit pulp that surround the beans/seeds before. Good luck!

Pulp surrounding cacao seeds has a very nice sweet/tart taste, but there is little of it, just a small snack.
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »

Pulp surrounding cacao seeds has a very nice sweet/tart taste, but there is little of it, just a small snack.

Completely agree to that, I love the pulp! Some of the other species should have more plup; Oscar I am not sure which species you have for sale, but otherwise I can recommend Jim West who has several rare species.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:46:37 PM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

CacaoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »
Completely agree to that, I love the pulp! Some of the other species should have more plup; Oscar I am not sure which species you have for sale, but otherwise I can recommend Jim West who has several rare species.
[/quote]

Who is Jim West? He sells cacao trees?

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
Hey Cacao guy,

Great looking seedling, very healthy....nice find!  As for Montoso Gardens, just be patient, Bryan will get back to you.  He is very busy and pretty much a 1 man show when his brother is not around.  I just recently got a response from him and it too was about 3-4 weeks after I sent my inquiry.  So, I am confident he will respond, it just takes a little time.  OTherwise, good luck!

- Jacob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 04:59:03 PM »

The only other theobroma species i have for sale besides cacao is Theobroma bicolor, Pataxte, in english confusingly called white cacao or Peruvian cacao. Pulp on that tastes totally different, more like a chempadek. Jim West is coming to visit me here in a few months so will try to get him to bring me some other species of theobromas. He brought me some before but i blew it and the plants didn't get established.
Oscar

CacaoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 06:53:05 PM »

The only other theobroma species i have for sale besides cacao is Theobroma bicolor, Pataxte, in english confusingly called white cacao or Peruvian cacao. Pulp on that tastes totally different, more like a chempadek. Jim West is coming to visit me here in a few months so will try to get him to bring me some other species of theobromas. He brought me some before but i blew it and the plants didn't get established.

Who is jim west? Also are your cacao seeds growable?

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »

I've been pleasantly surprised with the cold tolerance of the mocambo since recieving one 1.5 years ago. I was told that it was less tolerant than the Cupuassu by the northerner I got it from, but those North Queenslanders know nothing of the crunch, erm, I mean cold. It certainly struggles more than cacao through the winter, but comes back in spring no problems. Cupuassu doesnt seem to like the cold + wet combo that we get here for 2 weeks in the dead middle of winter. Mocambo also has nice large leaves.

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 07:58:46 PM »
Hey soren ,,

Have you dealed with jim west before ,, as his seeds are very cheap and he is selling in 100 seeds packets ,, its like having a nursery ,, lool ,,

Cacaguy ,,, of course his seeds are growable ,, otherwise why would he sell them ,, lol ,, am kidding ,, his seeds are of very high quality having a germination rate of nearly 100% ,, and they usually come in a nice shape although it stays long time in transit between Hawaii and Egypt.

Taking in consideration that cacao seeds are hard to germinate and they never germinated with me as for the humidity required or else.

Amr

CacaoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 08:01:07 PM »
Hey soren ,,

Have you dealed with jim west before ,, as his seeds are very cheap and he is selling in 100 seeds packets ,, its like having a nursery ,, lool ,,

Cacaguy ,,, of course his seeds are growable ,, otherwise why would he sell them ,, lol ,, am kidding ,, his seeds are of very high quality having a germination rate of nearly 100% ,, and they usually come in a nice shape although it stays long time in transit between Hawaii and Egypt.

Taking in consideration that cacao seeds are hard to germinate and they never germinated with me as for the humidity required or else.

Amr

well the reason i asked is because people buy their own cacao seeds and make homemade chocolate with them. thats whys i was asking. does jim west have a website?

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 08:51:26 PM »
of course cacaoguy ,, sorry for any inconvenience ,, seeds when dried or processed become available to make chocolate drinks ,, and i dnt knw jim west yet ,, i am waiting for soren to say his experience ,,

CacaoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 09:04:18 PM »
of course cacaoguy ,, sorry for any inconvenience ,, seeds when dried or processed become available to make chocolate drinks ,, and i dnt knw jim west yet ,, i am waiting for soren to say his experience ,,

oh ok, i am curious as to know also

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 01:19:10 AM »

Who is jim west? Also are your cacao seeds growable?

Yes the seeds i sell are for planting, not for eating. You can see my seed page and order online here:
http://fruitlovers.com/seedlist.html

Jim West is an American living in Ecuador for long time. He used to live here on Big Island, Hawaii. He has a large farm in tropical Ecuador, name of his farm is Guaycuyacu.  He's a real nice fellow and very knowledgeable. I've ordered seeds from him before, but it's kind of hit and miss due to long transit times from Ecuador. You can see his website here:
http://www.ecuadorexplorer.com/guaycuyacu/fruits_1.html#info
Has nice photo album here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/guaycuyacu
I recommend him for seeds you cannot get elsewhere. For seeds you can get inside your country you're better of ordering inside your country.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk