Author Topic: Chocolate Tree seeds!!!!  (Read 5249 times)

CacaoGuy

• View Profile
Chocolate Tree seeds!!!!
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »

I received my cacao pods today. I cut them open and de-shelled the seeds. I got them planted and watered right after. what do you think?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Chocolate Tree seeds!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:27:13 PM »
Looks good and viable, except maybe for a couple of runts at bottom left.
Oscar

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:28:16 PM »
Very cool! hopefully the majority of them sprout. Keep us updated in this thread.
Where did you order whole pods from?

-Luke

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 02:32:53 PM »
cacaoguy,

have u considered growing some of the smaller and harder to find cacao relatives, within the genus Theobroma?

I've seen some that would be excellent for container culture, and if im not mistaken, some are better eaten as fruit, rather than for chocolate production, from seeds.

good Luck!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 04:00:07 PM »
cacaoguy,

have u considered growing some of the smaller and harder to find cacao relatives, within the genus Theobroma?

I've seen some that would be excellent for container culture, and if im not mistaken, some are better eaten as fruit, rather than for chocolate production, from seeds.

good Luck!

Go on.... :-)

I'm intrigued!!

-Luke

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 04:32:51 PM »
There were quite a few varieties of pods at my local market yesterday One type was only about 4 inches long and bright yellow and was dwarfed by the bigger ones.I assume they are all the same species.People don't seem to buy them often and I guess they don't know what to do with them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 06:42:24 PM »
cacaoguy,

good Luck!

The only species that is widely used mostly for the pulp is is cupuasu, Theobroma grandiflora. It has excellent taste, especially in ice cream. Theobroma bicolor, sometimes called white cacao or Peruvian cacao also has a fair amount of pulp, to me it has a taste similar to chempadek. Both grandiflora and bicolor can also be used for making chocolate.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »
Fruitlovers hat much I do know but people don't seem to make chocolate from them here, it must be too hard.I've tried the flesh a few times and suppose have not been sufficiently inspired to grow them or pursue them further.I had a chempadak this season with a lineage going back to Malaysia that was pretty sensational with extra large bulbs,almost no rag,rough skin and yellow flesh.It was 5-7kg som much larger than the more standard 2-3kg orange fleshed smoother ones.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »
don't forget the other members of this genus that are harder to find, and often overlooked.

here are just some i copied from wikipeida.

oh also can't find this one website I've seen with a description and a list of many specie other than the few common ones you've suggested.

Theobroma angustifolium DC.
Theobroma bicolor Humb. & Bonpl. – Mocambo
Theobroma cacao L. – Cacao
Theobroma canumanense Pires & Froes ex Cuatrec.
Theobroma grandiflorum (Willd. ex Spreng.) K.Schum. – Cupuaçu
Theobroma mammosum Cuatrec. & Léon
Theobroma microcarpum Mart.
Theobroma obovatum Klotzsch ex Bernoulli
Theobroma simiarum Donn.Sm.
Theobroma speciosum Willd. ex Spreng. – Cacaui
Theobroma stipulatum Cuatrec.
Theobroma subincanum Mart.
Theobroma sylvestre Mart.[2]

cacaoguy,

good Luck!

The only species that is widely used mostly for the pulp is is cupuasu, Theobroma grandiflora. It has excellent taste, especially in ice cream. Theobroma bicolor, sometimes called white cacao or Peruvian cacao also has a fair amount of pulp, to me it has a taste similar to chempadek. Both grandiflora and bicolor can also be used for making chocolate.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 07:08:10 PM »
I remember this one being interesting  Theobroma sylvestre

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 07:13:46 PM »
not the website i remember seeing but its got info on more obscure species

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/abb/v18n2/v18n02a12.pdf
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »
Maybe next week I could take some snaps of a few Theobroma for those with chocolate tree taxonomic 'firepower' like Adam to scrutinise.Saturday mornings are traffic gridlock around the markets in town and I was tempted to go back today but next week it is.

CacaoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 07:26:12 PM »

Heres a picture of the new addition!!! My new TREE ( on the left ). Its taller than my first one. And a picture of the seeds in the containers. just waiting for them to sprout! The pods came from www.montosogardens.com very highly recommend. Great looking healthy pods. Great looking seeds. BTW the seeds I had there were two different strains. The BIG seeds are a red cacao tree strain. And the smaller seeds were from a Yellow Cacao tree strain. Ill keep you updated on the seedlings. BTW is anyone interested in the seedlings when they sprout and get big enough to ship?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 09:28:37 PM »
don't forget the other members of this genus that are harder to find, and often overlooked.

oh also can't find this one website I've seen with a description and a list of many specie other than the few common ones you've suggested.

cacaoguy,

good Luck!

cacaoguy,

good Luck!

I was responding to what you said: "some are better eaten as fruit, rather than for chocolate production, from seeds." I think only grandifolia and bicolor have a good amount of pulp. The species you mention don't. There are also closely related species in genus Herrania, but also with very little pulp.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk